Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God loves a trier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Saw your latest log entry runrabbit, and you are really upping it! Great stuff ;)

Fri 09/04 - Father inlaws 70th birthday. What a night.

Sat 10/04 - the fear hit me (thanks Dusty!). I wasn't particularly sick, but my heart was racing, and I had a fuzzy head. Barely managed to walk the dog at lunchtime, and went to bed for the afternoon. I don't know what was worse, the hangover or the guilt about not getting out for a LSR. So at 6 in the evening, I decided to don the runners & gear and headed out, for a mile or so. 1st mile, sweated the wine out of me, felt better by mile 2. Managed to cover 5 1/2 miles. Felt a million times better after it. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but it certainly got rid of the fear.

Sun 11/04 - up early and out the door. 5 miles in 41.20 mins. Gorgeous morning, but very warm for 9.00am :eek:

No LSR again this weekend. Away next weekend. So all in all, that means I'm out of the Wexford half. I'm nowhere near able, so I'll have to find another one later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

RubyK wrote: »

Sat 10/04 - the fear hit me

Ha ha - you did well to get that run in

No LSR again this weekend. Away next weekend. So all in all, that means I'm out of the Wexford half. I'm nowhere near able, so I'll have to find another one later in the year.

Ah RubyK, are you sure about this?

It's not like you go out and normally run 2-3 miles at a time, eveytime I read your log you've ran 6, 7, 8 miles. It's definitely not a case that you don't have it in your legs, you're well up the table on the 1,000 mile challenge as well. Don't let the recent bad patch put you off doing your first half, we all go through these phases. If you've paid for the Wexford Half you might as well do it, if not then maybe you want to think about doing another one (I'm doing Kildare the week after as well as a load of other boardsies if it suits you).

If you don't enjoy the distance that's fair enough, but if you want to do it then don't let the last couple of weeks put you off, you seem well capable of doing it and posting a great time too, your Splashworld result would suggest a sub 2hr run handy enough, and any number of people on here would bite your arm off for a time like that.

Do whatever you think is right yourself, but maybe do no spinning and very little running for this week and go out and have a fantastic run this weekend - still 3 weeks to the Wexford Half.

Cheers for the motivational post Dusty, much appreciated ;)

I have paid up for the half, but I really don't think I'm capable. I'd hate to go for it, and have a disaster, which might put me off this running lark. I know it's in the past and I really should let it go, but the Splashworld run left me freaked. And that was just 10K!

To think, there was a time you posted that we were at similar levels :eek: You've left me well and truely behind with your progress and ability! :)

Anyhoo, I'll plod along. For all my moaning, I do love it (most of the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oi enough of that talk! You have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it a go - You definitely should. You've put in the work and you'll be well able. And you can set a benchmark for yourself. There's another half in Enniscorthy on the 27th of June (which is going to be my inaugural one hopefully!) so you can sign up for that too and then rip your May time to shreds! Go out and enjoy it, you'll surprise yourself.

And you can have my right arm for your splashworld time!! Send a stamped addressed envelope and I'll have it to you by the end of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

claralara wrote: »
    And you can have my right arm for your splashworld time!!

And mine! You have loads of training done, I have no doubt that you will be able to pull it out of the bag on the day!

• Advertisement

Thanks claralara & runrabbit :o You're both gas, and I appreciate your supportive comments!

It wasn't the time I did the 10K in, but how I felt in body and mind! Ah, I'm annoying myself now, I need to let it go. From this post on, I promise not to mention it again!

OK, going to get a long run in either Thursday or Friday, and I'll see how far I can manage. I'm away this weekend, so no running will be done (plenty of trotting around the shops though :D)

If I do the half, and managed a time of 1.59.59 mins - I'd be well chuffed.
    Can't do the half in June, as we've a wedding to go to on the previous Friday.

Head up, plod on.

Mon 12/04 - 1 hour spin class. Really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

+1000 that you'd be able for the half.

I find 10k races really tough, so I wouldn't necessarily base not running the half on how you felt during the 10k. I'd go so far as to say I absolutely hate them and 5ks. The only race I've ever dropped out of halfway through was a 10k because mentally and even physically I just couldn't handle it(I went out later that day and ran further that 10k but in the race I just couldn't do it). If you're doing 8/9 mile runs now, in three weeks time you'll be more than able to hit half marathon distance.

Don't pressure yourself about times, you've done the training - just go out and enjoy it and get the experience of doing a half marathon and then maybe go for a sub-2 hour half later in the year. There's loads of half marathons in Ireland now so you'll be spoilt for choice come the Autumn. Sometimes you run a much better race when you go into it relaxed and just there to enjoy the experience than if you go out to 'race'.

;) Thanks RQ! I appreicate your advice. I'll see how I get on with the next two LSR's, and make a final decision then.

Tues 13/04 - 6.75 miles in 55.49 mins. I really enjoyed this run. Took in the hills I struggled with for the Splashworld 10K, and put those demons to rest!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Took in the hills I struggled with for the Splashworld 10K, and put those demons to rest!

This is a good thing - you could have a couple of weeks bad training just because of one minor thing in a race, so the fact you've gotten over the hurdle of redoing those hills and doing them better will give all your training a boost. So much of running is mental and a mental block can often hold you back in training even though you're capable of so much more.

Wed 14/04 - 5 miles in 43.17 mins. An ok run, but I seem to be developing lower back pain. I've noticed it on the last few runs. It was sore for the night, but fine this morning.

• Advertisement

Fri 16/04 - a planned LSR, but a crisis of the 4 legged variety, meant this didn't happen. Had to bring her to the vet, as we found a huge swelling under her tongue. She has to have an op on Thursday. My poor baby :eek:

Managed to get in 6 stressed miles, in 52.10 mins.

I'll get no running this weekend, as we are heading away. My mileage for the past few weeks has dropped, so I'm taking my name out of the hat for the Wexford half. I'll just have to find another to focus on, for later in the year.

Mon 19/04 - had a fuzzy head so ditched the spinning class for a run, to get some fresh air. 6 miles in 52.40 mins. My Ipod shuffle died, so had no option but to go out music-less. It was actually really nice. I felt very at one with nature :D

Tues 20/04 - 6.75 miles. Lovely evening for a run. Felt good for most of it, although I still feel a slight twinge in my lower back at times :confused:

Wed 21/04 - 6 miles. I felt tired, so took it fairly handy. 54.20 mins.
    Good news = no lower back pain. Bad news = Ipod acting up again :mad: I only have the stupid yoke 4 months!

Fri 23/04 - 6 miles. I felt quiet tired, so didn't push it too much.

Sat 24/06 - 6 miles planned, but really was enjoying myself, so pushed it to 8 miles. Avg pace 8.30 mins.

Sun 25/06 - 5.45 miles. Lovely morning. No ipod again, tempermental yoke! But I have to say I'm enjoying running without it. I seem to be more focused on running. Avg pace 8.50 mins.

Mon 26/04 - had a fuzzy head from being cooped up inside the office all day, so I ditched the spin class for a head-clearing run. Lovely, if a little breezy. 6 miles - 52.20 mins.

Tues 27/04 - very tired so took it handy and did some weights & core exercises.

Wed 28/04 - again tired, so did the same as yesterday.

Thurs 29/04 - dragged myself out the door after work, and managed 5 1/2 miles. An interesting run - met some camels, a lama and a few shetland ponies :D

Doing a 4 mile race this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

An interesting run - met some camels, a lama and a few shetland ponies :D

Okaaayyy:confused: We don't have Camels and Llamas over here in the West.... :D
    Good luck in the race Rubyk.

littlebug wrote: »

Thanks littlebug :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »

Running away with the circus, perhaps:D:D

• Advertisement

Running away with the circus, perhaps:D:D

Running away from it meathcountysec ;) Altough, I probably looked a bit like a clown trying to move at a decent pace against a very strong headwind ;)

Thurs 29/04 - dragged myself out the door after work, and managed 5 1/2 miles. An interesting run - met some camels, a lama and a few shetland ponies :D

Sounds like an interesting run! Good luck tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Good luck with the race...

Fri 30/04 - 4 mile charity race. Got soaked during the warm-up, nice start! I've really got to learn to pace right. At mile 2 I clocked 15.00 mins exactly, which is too fast for me. Legs turned to jelly at mile 3. Got over the line in 31.20 mins. A pb by 40 seconds (not exactly inspirational stuff, but hey, I'm happy) :o

Sat 01/05 - planned a 7-8 mile run, but it didn't happen. I felt crap. Reckon the soaking Friday night was hitting me.

Sun 02/05 - planned a 5 mile run, but again felt crap, so I stayed in bed.

Mon 03/05 - 6 miles. A bit slower than usual, but I put it down to the crappy headcold from the previous days.

I'll be having a quietish week, as I'm going to to do the 7.5 mile race on Saturday evening. I don't know how I feel about this, after talking to a few people about it, I'm getting a bit nervous.

Tues 04/05 - 6 miles. I really didn't want to go this evening, but dragged myself out. Felt crap for the 1st mile, but got into it after that. Did my first ever intervals :o 5 x 1 min - not alot, but it's a start, and I quiet enjoyed pushing it. I don't know what my time was, as I met a friend at mile 5 and stopped for a chat.

I think I might get a handy 4 miles in this evening, and then have a break until Saturday evenings race.

Wed 05/05 - a handy 4 miles. It was really warm, far too warm for the long sleeved top I had on.

No more running, until Saturday evenings race.

Sat 08/04 - 7 PM - Waterford to Tramore 7.5 mile road race.

I was sick with nerves from the moment I woke up, and had a tension headache aswell. Great! My friend pulled out of it, and I did have second thoughts of doing it, but said f*ck it, I may as well go.

Mile 1, 8.15. Mile 2, 7.50 (way too fast for me), Mile 3 legs started to go to jelly (wtf, not again :o). Water station at mile 3.5 got a bottle of water, and I took a glucose sweet. Within seconds I felt better, and once past Katie Rileys, I really started to enjoy the race. Hit mile 6 in 48 mins. Pushed on, passed a few people, I was really surprising myself. Got over the finishing line in 59 mins (according to my watch, don't know the official time). Nearly 5 mins faster than I had thought I'd do it. The most enjoyable race yet. Lots of support along the route, which really does help.

Ran home (1 mile), full of enthusiasm. Hubby nearly feel off the couch when I stumbled in the door at 8.15pm :D

Wow that was brilliant you must be over the moon! Congrats! That's a great time!

Thanks runrabbit, I'm very happy with it. I pushed myself harder than I ever did before in a race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on all of your recent running feats! You've been flying it. Tramore was a great success. Keep up the good work - I look forward to reading more. And trying to catch up with you!

Advertisement