Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God loves a trier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Moments, was probably the wrong choice of words. Days would be a better one ;) Today, I'm feeling particularly nervous!

Wed 28/07 - 6.05 miles. Avg pace 8.43mins. Another muggy evenings run. Bloody flies and winged yokes are really starting to annoy me now.

Thurs 29/07 - 6.10 miles. First mile was not the best, but after that, it was an enjoyable run. I'veomething strange has been happening lately, a clicking sound at the back of my head/top of my neck - wtf :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RubyK wrote: »
    Thurs 29/07 - 6.10 miles. First mile was not the best, but after that, it was an enjoyable run. I'veomething strange has been happening lately, a clicking sound at the back of my head/top of my neck - wtf :o

Dont worry about it. The more miles you do, the faster you go, the more strange things will happen to your body. Get used to it.

tunguska wrote: »
    Dont worry about it. The more miles you do, the faster you go, the more strange things will happen to your body. Get used to it.

Cheers tunguska :eek:

• Advertisement

Fri 30/07 - LSR - planned 16.5 miles, but I completely messed up on the route, and it was short. Very annoyed with my stupidity. So 15.35 miles - also messed up with the watch. Again :o Judging by the house clock, it was in/around 2hrs 20mins

Plan do do 4-5 miles later today. And 6 on Monday. Then on hols til Saturday, so no more running til Saturday evening/Sunday.

Sat 31/07 - 4.30 miles. First mile was grand, I was enjoying myself, but then it just poured down on me. Ah well, it's better than the sun beating down on me. No times, as I had the watch stopped when I sheltered under some trees, and I forgot to start it again, when I HTFU!

Mon 02/08 - 6 miles (no watch). A very humid mornings run. Managed to stop the watch at some stage, so again no times.

No running until Saturday evening (unless I can sneek out of the house tomorrow for a few handy miles, at day break, before hubby wakes up :o). Off to Killarney for a few days, and I've promised himself I won't bring my running gear. Little does he know that there's a Nike outlet, not far from where we are staying ;)

On hols Tuesday-Saturday, and promised my husband I wouldn't bring my training gear. As a treat though, on Friday, he brought me to Cork and got a gait anaylasis done, and he bought me a pair of recommended Mizuno Wave 6 runners, and nike socks :D

Sat 07/08 - took the new Mizuno's for a break-in trot. 5.25 miles. I sweated a lot (the holiday excesses!), but really enjoyed it.

Sun 08/08 - LSR. Headed off at 11.40am, and it was hot! Lots of tourists around, and I got a lot of funny looks, when rummaging around bushes, looking for my hidden water bottles, and jellybabys :o and yet again, one of my bottles was taken. I found it empty on the ground, near where I left it. I struggled at mile 11.5 (due to not having water!). Got 16.25 miles done in 2.28.11. Happy enough with the run.

Mon 09/08 - Another very muggy evening, and my legs were unbelievebly heavy & tired starting out, so much so, I considered taking a detour, and doing 4 miles instead of 6 :o. Eventually I got into it, and the legs loosened up. 6.05 miles avg 8.33mins.

Tues 10/08 - same loop as last evening - 6.05 miles - 52.25 mins. Again, it was very muggy. Legs felt looser than last evening, had a slight niggle in my right ankle and knee, but I'm putting it down to my new runners, than have only had 3 outings.

• Advertisement

Wed 11/08 - 5.85 miles, took in some trail/sandy stretches, instead of the usual loop, coz I'm getting a bit bored of the same old ... I found my legs still tired, and I only started to feel somewhat good after 2.5 mies. It was warm again, and I had an almighty headwind for the last 3 miles :eek: When I got back to the house I found our garden flower pots blown over. It died down within minutes of me getting home. Typical.

Rest day today. Off to the races, hoping to win a few bob!

In two minds about taking tomorrow as a rest day too, and going for LSR on Sat morning, with a recovery run on Sun, as the legs have been very tired this week. Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Ha, i've got this in my right leg somewhere, only on the last 2 miles it starts clicking, annoying or what:D

Congrats on your plus 15 mile runs...i'm just behind you, hopefully next week i'll be there.

What you think of Mizuno runners, i've always ran in Asics.

Hey JEmily, yeah the clicking is strange, and annoying. I have to turn my mp3 up to full blast to distract from it :o

I'm really happy with the Mizuno's. I had 2 pairs of Kayano 15's which I loved, but the 16's gave me problems with my ankle and knee. I'm an overpronator, so need some support, but not as much support at the Kayano's give. Hopefully, they will see me through DCM 2010 alright!

Best of luck with the training!

Fri 13/08 - 5.85 miles. Pretty non-eventful. I had to battle another headwind. Hate the wind!

Sat 14/08 - LSR day. Bodyglide to the ready, plus 4 bottles of water and 2 gels (first time using these!). Hid my water and gels, and set off at 10.00am. Stomach didn't feel great at all, but I was determined to get as far as possible (but with a euro in my pocket just incase my plan didn't work out, and I had to ring my OH to rescue me!) Mile 1 was too fast (8.40 mins). Slowed it down, and tried to enjoy it. Took my first gel and water at mile 8 (messy yokes!), and another one at mile 13. They left me feeling a little dodgy (but it probably didn't help that I wasn't feeling 100% anyway). I don't know if they did anything for me, but I'll try them again. More water and some Jellybabies at mile 17.5, and I wasn't feeling too bad. All in all 19.50 miles in 2.59.27. Happy enough with it. Struggled around mile 13. Thigh felt a bit sore in the afternoon, but is fine today.

43.30 miles this week. The most I've ever managed.

Oh, and bodyglide, is my new favourite thing :D

Mon 16/08 - It was a struggle out the door this evening, but I enjoyed after all. 6.05 miles 53.14 mins. Headwind still seems to be following me around :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just catching up on your last few weeks Ruby and on the marathon thread - you're really racking up the miles now. Fantastic to see great results from all your efforts! :)

Thanks very much clara ;) The nerves are really kicking in, and it's all starting to feel very real!

Well done on the duathlon! Fantastic stuff! I really don't know how anyone does them, or tri's - they must take serious physical and mental strength. Keep up the good work :D

Tues 17/08 - 6.15 miles. A bit of a *meh* run, wasn't really feeling the love for it. Choose quite a hilly route. Avg 8.41 mins.

Wed 18/08 - decided to leave the watch at home, and just run. Really enjoyed it. Must do that more often :D 6.05 miles.

The organisation I've decided to try and raise some money for during my marathon journey, sent me a t-shirt, sponsorship forms, and a really lovely letter. If that won't keep me focused, nothing will!

Sat 21/08 - LSR. Hid water and off I went, far too fast. Settled down, but my head was all over the shop. Took my first water bottle at mile 8. All going ok. Pace was as it should be. Took a gel at mile 13 and some more water. I didn't really feel any benefit from the gel, if anything I think it made me feel a bit ill. By mile 18 I was starting to struggle a bit, so took more water and another gel. At mile 19, BAM, I can only guess I hit the wall :( I felt dreadful, stomach in ribbons, my head all light and fuzzy, and I was seeing stars. Had to stop up a laneway and sit down. If I could have found a payphone, I'd have rung home to be rescued. After resting for a while I got moving again, but I still felt awful. A shuffle effect got me to mile 20, and more water. Felt slightly better, and managed a further 2 miles, before falling in the door. 3 hrs 27 mins 22 secs moving. Plus a good 5-10 mins sat on the ground, questioning my sanity and DCM 2010.

Sun 22/08 - in order to not let the fear of yesterday take over, I ventured out for a slightly hilly 4.30 miles. Left the watch at home, and just ran. Enjoyed it. I thought my legs would be heavy and tired, but they were ok.

Dreading my next LSR though. I really don't think Gels are for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What kind of gel did you take? You could try a different variety - an isogel instead of one of the thick ones, or something like that? Or maybe an energy drink?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    What kind of gel did you take? You could try a different variety - an isogel instead of one of the thick ones, or something like that? Or maybe an energy drink?

Hey RayCun, thanks for the tips, I took the hi-5 type gel. One citrus, that was ok, and one orange one that was rank. I think I'll try the energy drinks, and see if they suit me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Hey RubyK,

Fantastic going.

22 miles or so on Saturday morning - brillant stuff.
    Yep, it is very tough going, but you got through it - and amazingly - you managed to get out again on Sunday, impressive stuff.

22 miles in 3 hrs 27 mins - including 5-10 mins sitting down - thats fantastic running.

I did my first (and maybe only) marathon last year in Dublin, and yep it was very tough, but you are way ahead of where I was in August.
    I only got to 13 miles come Sept, and then increased by 2 miles or so - up to the marathon.
    So - Week 3 in August - you are at 22 miles.
    You're very well on your way to completing the DCM.

Keep up the great effort.

Hey RunHomerRun, thanks very much for your kind words, but I'm still feeling freaked after Saturdays display :eek: An awful feeling.

Did you find gels good, or was there something else you found worked for you? I'll have to try and stomach the energy drinks they provide, as gels just seem to make me feel crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I'm still feeling freaked after Saturdays display

Did you find gels good, or was there something else you found worked for you? I'll have to try and stomach the energy drinks they provide, as gels just seem to make me feel crap.

For what it is worth I find that the awful LSR (and everyone has them!) where the last miles are run on sheer stubborness are often followed by LSRs that feel great! At times during a run you feel terrible for a few miles and then it passes and and two miles later you are back in great shape. Don't ask me why but it seems to work like that for some of us. Having said that you might want to start the LSR a bit slower and keep maybe the first five miles really slow and then ease into it .. and be very careful about light headedness. You might want to think about taking the gel a little earlier - I usually take a first at 45 minutes as they take time to take effect ... and not all brands suit everyone.

Finishing this run will stand to you in the next marathon,

Thanks very much pgmcpq, I really appreciate your post. Hopefully, if I hit the wall in training, on the day I might not feel as bad. I'll have to do some more experimenting with gels/fluids and find what works/suits. I agree with you about the pacing, my first few miles are too fast for me. I'll really have to get a handle on that. It's a learning curve, that's for sure ;)

Mon 23/08 - 6.05 miles avg pace 8.21 mins. Fastest run in a long time. Pretty windy out there, but nice and cool. Glad the muggy weather seems to have left us.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Your preparation / training program is excellent
    I knew I did not have enough preparation time for the DCM last year.
    I knew this in advance and in hindsight - it was also proven to be the case.
    As a result, I did not do as many LSR as I should have (would have liked to have) done at all.
    Basically - I picked and chose bits and pieces from Hal Higdon's novice training program - to fit in the time I had available.

So, RubyK, having said all that - you are being too hard on yourself.
    You are preparing excellently.
    You completed 22 miles in mid August, over 2 months ahead of DCM.
    And you did a run on Sunday and on Monday - to no ill-effects.

Gels
    Again not enough preparation for me.
    However on one LSR I used High-5 Gels (bought on-line chain reaction cycles) - and they did not make me feel ill.
    Dunno if they boosted my performance, but I guess they served some purpose.
    Perhaps a good idea to find out the gels that will be available at the water stations on the day of the DCM and get the same gels now - so you are used to them.
    Hindsight is a great thing - isn't it.

Keep up the great effort.

When you cross that finish line in Dublin, it will all be worth it.

Ah thanks so much RHR, lovely post from you :)

Hi-5 are the gels available on marathon day. Hopefully, I'll work something out in the next few weeks, that suits me.

Can't believe how quick the time is going by!

Any plans for yourself? What about the half in Waterford 11th Dec? Thanks again for your motivational words!

Tues 24/08 - after a crappy day, I hauled my lazy ass out the front door, and set off, just me and my music (left the watch at home). First half mile was sluggish. After that my legs loosened up, and I felt fresh out. Really enjoyed it. Felt like a fast run (for me :o).

Weather forecast is bad for this evening, so I'm already thinking of excuses for not going out tonight. But LSR is planned for Friday evening, due to commitments on Saturday (like being wide eyed and bushy-tailed for my pre-birthday girls night out - my last night out before DCM), so ideally I'd like to take tomorrow as a rest day :confused: Guess I'll just have to HTFU and don the baseball cap and water-proof jacket.

Wed 25/08 - 5 miles. Boy I was tired this evening, and really struggled, and thought about cutting it short at 4 miles, but knew I'd feel the guilts, if I didn't do my planned 5. Not good. Not good at all.

Thur 26/08 - rest day. I loved it :o

So this evening is my LSR. I'm dreading it, after last weekends wall experience. I'm trying out energy drinks tonight, so hopefully they will do me some good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Wed 25/08 - 5 miles. Boy I was tired this evening, and really struggled, and thought about cutting it short at 4 miles, but knew I'd feel the guilts, if I didn't do my planned 5. Not good. Not good at all.

Thur 26/08 - rest day. I loved it :o

So this evening is my LSR. I'm dreading it, after last weekends wall experience. I'm trying out energy drinks tonight, so hopefully they will do me some good.

Good luck later for your LSR, anyone i know who has hit the wall in training learns from it and it won't happen again. I'd rather hit it during training than on the day.

Just for the record, i haven't reached 20 miles yet, but on my LSR Runs i'll start off very conservatively for the first couple of miles. Then you find you'll settle into your normal pace. I find you don't lose time, in fact your fresher and can keep going so you make time up. Treat it as a warm-up as such!

Advertisement