Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God loves a trier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    :D hiccup

♫If you like Bailey's and Brandy and getting sloshed in the rain, If you're really into horsey's and have DCM on the brain♫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks JEmily, appreciate your kind words. But, honestly, I know what's ahead of me. Sure I'm sitting here in work, and I can feel the leg twinging away :confused: I'm not where I should be fitness wise, and it's going to hurt on the day, but I'm doing it anyway :D

Right, missy, focus, yes you have an injury, yes you may not feel 100%, but would you like to change places with NachoQueen? I'm sure she'd change places with you in a blink of an eye.

Secondly, if i could count on one hand who doesn't have an injury, flu or some flaw at the moment i would be a rich lady.

I admire you for going out there and doing it, but all i'm saying is go out and see how you get on. You might be surprised as a few people said here that "the atmosphere might take over". Yes your not going to do a sub 3 but none of us are here. It's your first marathon, even if you come in at 5.30 hours it doesn't really matter as you finished it WITH an injury and you've no previous time to beat.

Next year come back with a bang...i'm going out there and running, i'm not pushing for any amazing times, i'm not going to push my calves either - that's for another day when i am 100%.

When you pass a few idiots who trained for 2 weeks in a heap beside you i'm telling you that will be all the motivation you need. And remember, the 2 people beside you are carrying injuries too, your not alone on that score.

P.S. It's going to hurt no matter if your injured or not...
    P.P.S. I know i'm laying into you but you don't actually realise that your fitness is still there I GUARANTEE IT, you need to keep sane and hope the injury rest by Monday will last the 4 hours...it just might
    P.P.P.S. Do you have Voltaren? I'll personally drive over to you with these miracle tabs if i have to:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrslow wrote: »
    ♫If you like Bailey's and Brandy and getting sloshed in the rain, If you're really into horsey's and have DCM on the brain♫

Brilliant mrslow :D

Right, missy, focus, yes you have an injury, yes you may not feel 100%, but would you like to change places with NachoQueen? I'm sure she'd change places with you in a blink of an eye.

Secondly, if i could count on one hand who doesn't have an injury, flu or some flaw at the moment i would be a rich lady.

I admire you for going out there and doing it, but all i'm saying is go out and see how you get on. You might be surprised as a few people said here that "the atmosphere might take over". Yes your not going to do a sub 3 but none of us are here. It's your first marathon, even if you come in at 5.30 hours it doesn't really matter as you finished it WITH an injury and you've no previous time to beat.

Next year come back with a bang...i'm going out there and running, i'm not pushing for any amazing times, i'm not going to push my calves either - that's for another day when i am 100%.

When you pass a few idiots who trained for 2 weeks in a heap beside you i'm telling you that will be all the motivation you need. And remember, the 2 people beside you are carrying injuries too, your not alone on that score.

P.S. It's going to hurt no matter if your injured or not...
    P.P.S. I know i'm laying into you but you don't actually realise that your fitness is still there I GUARANTEE IT, you need to keep sane and hope the injury rest by Monday will last the 4 hours...it just might
    P.P.P.S. Do you have Voltaren? I'll personally drive over to you with these miracle tabs if i have to:p

She a cross baba!:mad:

mrslow wrote: »

Why didn't i put that on my DCM top...i like it.

Sorry if I've come across as a "poor me" that's honestly not how I meant it to sound. I know there's plenty of injuries/colds/worrying niggles facing the boardsies here, and I feel so bad for Nacho, Shaz and the others who've had to pull out.

I appreciate the fact I'm getting to the startline :D and l'll savour getting over the finish :)

Sorry if I've come across as a "poor me" that's honestly not how I meant it to sound. I know there's plenty of injuries/colds/worrying niggles facing the boardsies here, and I feel so bad for Nacho, Shaz and the others who've had to pull out.

I appreciate the fact I'm getting to the startline :D and l'll savour getting over the finish :)

You haven't at all, don't mind JEmily, she's a big bully. Anyway this is your training log and if you want to moan like an oul sow, you can!:D

No you haven't been a moan at all...God did you see me moaning on my log on my week off, now that's moaning;)

Nope you still have alot going for you, i'd hate for you to think that your not ready for this, you still are, maybe not as much as you'd like, but your still ready none the less. You've put so much in...

I hope you don't think i was being harsh but i just know how your feeling and how soul destroying it is.

No you haven't been a moan at all...God did you see me moaning on my log on my week off, now that's moaning;)

Nope you still have alot going for you, i'd hate for you to think that your not ready for this, you still are, maybe not as much as you'd like, but your still ready none the less. You've put so much in...

I hope you don't think i was being harsh but i just know how your feeling and how soul destroying it is.

You're our Boards Mammy:D

Thurs 21/10 - 3.30 miles avg 8.53 mins. Discomfort in my thigh and groin after 1 1/2 miles. Iced when I got home.

In other news, lost a filling and 3lbs this week :confused:.

I think I'll just leave it at that, no more running til Monday, I'm just going to rest up. I've got myself some more anti-inflams so, hopefully they will kick in, and see me right Monday morning.

Looking forward to getting up to Dublin on Sunday, and relaxing a bit.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying anything more bar:

I'LL SEE YOU BRIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY MORNING, 9AM, FOR A NICE LEISURELY LSR...that's what i keep telling my calves anyway:rolleyes:

See you then.

Well I'm back from Penneys, and I'm kitted out for the cold wait on Monday morning. I'll be the one in the dodgy looking black hoody, smelling of tiger balm and popping neurofen :D See you there ;)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Best of luck on monday Ruby K. Dont think about 26miles, that'll overwhelm you. Compartmentalise your mind, take it one mile at a time, dont allow yourself to think about anything else other than the stretch of road directly before you.

Thanks tunguska I'll take your advice. One mile at a time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

best of luck on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Hey RubyK

How long at all to go now.

This time last year, I did my first ever DCM.
    12 months on, and I haven't done as much running at all - new little baby has taken over.....
    I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, but now its almost upon you and the nerves and excitement will be flowing over.
    You have put in serious mileage, the training regime is much, much better than I did, you have put in the effort, you will reap the rewards.

Try and get some sleep now, the nerves and butterflies will impact your sleep on Sunday night.

Best of luck, and do cherish that moment when you cross the finish line. :)

Should obviously have read = NOT long to go at all now.....:rolleyes:

Thanks pgmcpq and RunHomerRun :)

Congratulations on the new arrival RHR! And thanks for the best wishes. Yep, the nerves have well and truely kicked in this morning!
    Roll on Monday :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well I'm back from Penneys, and I'm kitted out for the cold wait on Monday morning. I'll be the one in the dodgy looking black hoody, smelling of tiger balm and popping neurofen :D See you there ;)!

That the hoody for a fiver? :pac: I was going to get that but I thought the paper thin fleece would kepp me marginally warmer than the paper thin hoody.

• Advertisement

That the hoody for a fiver? :pac: I was going to get that but I thought the paper thin fleece would kepp me marginally warmer than the paper thin hoody.

A fiver, ppfftt :rolleyes: This beauty set me back a tenner! You get what you pay for RQ :D

Actually, I wore it last night taking the dog for a walk, and it's really warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck Rubyk. You'll fly it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck RubyK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck on your first marathon RubyK!
    You've put in a huge amount of miles this year so far, tomorrow will be no bother to ya at all
    Looking forward to your race report - a bit longer now this time round please :)

Well? Dont keep us in suspense...........

tunguska wrote: »

It's worth waiting for, she done ammazing...Well done again RubyK, knew you'd do it;) and was nice to finally meet you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

It's worth waiting for, she done ammazing...Well done again RubyK, knew you'd do it;) and was nice to finally meet you.

I knew she could do it! Dying to read the race report, and the final time!

Dusty, this is a long one, as you requested!

Sunday 24/10 - arrived in Dublin about 12.30, but not knowing the city very well, I spent far too long on my feet, trying to find our hotel, then trying to find a taxi to the RDS. A blister kindly decided to appear on my heal that evening, adding to the already mound of pressure I had built up in my head. The meal in the Italian restaurant didn't go to plan, which just summed up my day. I had a very restless nights sleep, waking every 30 mins or so, dreading what lay ahead in a few hours.

Monday 25/10 - woke up at 6 am, and got my act together. Surprisingly, the nerves had eased off. Wholemeal toast, granola, and a little water, and I was ready to go. I was at the startline about 8.20. It was cold, but the bin-bag did it's job. About 8.55, I discovered my Garmin was dead :eek: Mild panic rose, but I thought, why get upset, nothing I could do about it. So, about 9.02 I got to cross the matts. I've never ran in a race of more than 1,000 runners before, so it was a bit daunting. There was a lot of bunching and we came to a standstill a few times in the first mile. On we travelled, and into the Phoenix Park, and it was then my hip/thigh problem made it's presence felt. I was really disappointed, but hoped it wouldn't get any worse. I did really miss the Garmin, I had no idea how far we had travelled (I missed a few mile markers), my pace, or time. But, I had the 4 hour pacers just behind me, so that kept me someway on track. The hill that took us up under the bridge really let me know my leg was in bother, but I plodded on, and knew once I got to 13 miles, I was heading home. At mile 14, I got a stich, which actually was a good thing, because it distracted from the pain going on in my leg. Mile 15-18 really dragged but the support from the watching crowd was fantastic (as were all the jellies being handed out!). I was so glad to see the 20 marker, and just focused on getting by each mile, frustratingly I really felt strong in myself, it was just my damn leg that was the problem. At mile 22, my calfs started to cramp, and so did my right hamstring, but I knew I couldn't stop to walk, because if I did, that would be the end of my running. Mile 23, and the crowds really helped keep me going. I found it tough coming though the last 2 miles, it was pretty conjested. But at mile 25, I pushed on, and the last home stretch I gave it everything I had. Finished, very happy in 3.59.19.

I'm very tired, stiff and sore today. Would I do it again? You betcha ;)

Got to meet JEmily, Rainbow Kirby and Racoon Queen in McGrattans afterwards, which was lovely ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow! sub 4 - well done!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Woo hoo delighted for you RubyK
    Took all the distractions in your stride and recorded a really great time
    That problem with your leg would have made for a right excuse if you had wanted to use it but you pushed on and got your time
    Fair play, you had done all the hard work and deserved to get your reward
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats again Ruby. Thrilled for ya!

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, it was a great experience. I'm loving the post marathon high :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Woo hoo I knew you could go sub-4! Congratulations and enjoy the afterglow of a job well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant, well done on a great time - knew you had that in you :D

Well done Ruby!

Hey, I saw your finishing time on the DCM thread! That's absolutely fantastic running :eek: Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Ruby, delighted for you :D

At mile 22, my calfs started to cramp, and so did my right hamstring, but I knew I couldn't stop to walk, because if I did, that would be the end of my running. Mile 23, and the crowds really helped keep me going. I found it tough coming though the last 2 miles, it was pretty conjested. But at mile 25, I pushed on, and the last home stretch I gave it everything I had. Finished, very happy in 3.59.19.

Brilliant Ruby K. That was real diggin' deep stuff. Well done for running all the way and not stopping to walk even though your legs were in bits. Im actually more proud of your run than I am of my own!
    Next year its sub 3:30, deal?

Brilliant Ruby K. That was real diggin' deep stuff. Well done for running all the way and not stopping to walk even though your legs were in bits. Im actually more proud of your run than I am of my own!

Ah stop now :pac: Thanks a mill for the kind words, you are a legend. That was an amazing run you did. How are you feeling after it? Did you write a report? I'd love to read it.
    Next year its sub 3:30, deal?

No pressure so? :eek: My poor legs are crying at the thoughts of that! Not a chance!

claralara wrote: »
    Well done Ruby, delighted for you :D

Cheers clara :)

Ah stop now :pac: Thanks a mill for the kind words, you are a legend. That was an amazing run you did. How are you feeling after it? Did you write a report? I'd love to read it.

No pressure so? :eek: My poor legs are crying at the thoughts of that! Not a chance!

Give it a week and I promise you'll be thinking about next years sub 3:30 attempt. See its already out there, you might aswell just go ahead and make it official.

Im feeling good, the only problem is my right achilles is a bit tight. I was bombing down fosters ave at about mile 21 and it went on me. Didnt snap or anything but it tightened up something fierce. So the last few miles werent too hot as a result.
    I dont know if I'll be writing a race report, still havent decided on it yet.

• Advertisement

l

Im feeling good, the only problem is my right achilles is a bit tight. I was bombing down fosters ave at about mile 21 and it went on me. Didnt snap or anything but it tightened up something fierce. So the last few miles werent too hot as a result.
    I dont know if I'll be writing a race report, still havent decided on it yet.

Hopefully, with a bit of rest, it'll be grand. Great that you are feeling so good though, other than that!

Anyone who was bombing along at mile 21 has to write a report :D

Anyone who was bombing along at mile 21 has to write a report :D

The boys down in the PR department are working on it as we speak.....

Sat 30/10 - 2.5 slow easy miles on trail. Thigh and groin sore, but I suppose that's only natural. Calf and hamstring fine. Great to be back out there again, even if it was a careful slow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Some come back Ruby !!! Congrats.

Sub 4 marathon!!!!
    Fantastic stuff RubyK, thats brillant running.
    Well done and enjoy some time off.

Thanks RHR :)

Can't wait to get back into a plan again, but I think I'll not run again for another few days, to see if the twinges will go away. The Winter League is starting on Thursday, are you going to sign up? I don't know what to do. It's the same route again as last year - and the thoughts of Matties Hill, twice, is not filling me with excitment!

Heading to Spinning Class tonight for the first time in 9 months :eek: Should be fun.

Mon 01/11 - 1 hr spinning class. Jebas it was tough going :eek: Sweated buckets. Good news though, no pains at all in the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just catching up on all the logs now... well done, I knew you'd make it under 4.
    But, I had the 4 hour pacers just behind me, so that kept me someway on track.

We must have been around the same place, at least some of the time - I passed the 4 hour pacers just before we left the park and was never more than a couple of minutes ahead of them.

RayCun wrote: »
    Just catching up on all the logs now... well done, I knew you'd make it under 4.

We must have been around the same place, at least some of the time - I passed the 4 hour pacers just before we left the park and was never more than a couple of minutes ahead of them.

Cheers Ray, and congrats on your run :D We must have been near enough alright, I was wondering if there were any boardsies close by, but was too shy/in pain to speak up :o

Hope you had a nice holiday. That sounds like the ideal way to recover.

I'm itching to get back out on the roads, I'm feeling fatter and lazyier every day that passes by! This is nearly as bad as tapering madness. Roll on Saturday, when I hope to do a handy 5 miles.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ray, and congrats on your run :D We must have been near enough alright, I was wondering if there were any boardsies close by, but was too shy/in pain to speak up :o

Hope you had a nice holiday. That sounds like the ideal way to recover.

I'm itching to get back out on the roads, I'm feeling fatter and lazyier every day that passes by! This is nearly as bad as tapering madness. Roll on Saturday, when I hope to do a handy 5 miles.

You should see the size of JEmily, met her for lunch last week and had my arm around my sandwich to protect it!:D

Advertisement