Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mildew in Bathroom

• 19-01-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I've a small bathroom, there is a fan over the shower.

There is black mildew over the window, i got a mouisture catcher the one with the crystals and it full of water now.

can anyone recommend any way of getting rid of the moisture, i need some kind of device the moisture catcher is quite small quitable for wardrobes, etc.

Also the paint is starting to peel off the celing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You need venilation - leave a window open while you shower and after you shower to let all the humid warm moisture laden air out.
    Also, go down the Hardware shop and buy a FUNGICIDAL chemical. Its the same stuff as you'd use to kill moss or growths on walls outside in your garden. It'll need to be diluted according to the directions on the can.
    Treat the affected area.
    Strip off the paint - and repaint when you treat it a few times.

This should help - but ventilation is key here, you need to allow the room to get fresh air in.

Hope this help ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

This should help - but ventilation is key here, you need to allow the room to get fresh air in.

+1 Ventilation is very important. Warm air is condensating on cold surfaces, wall might not be insulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

According to regulations there is suppose to be 2 vents in a bathroom. One the extractor and the other a wall grill to allow for change in the air.

Usually the extractor works fine as it drags air from the rest of the house which has the habit of makeing your bathroom feel drafty.

I suspect the fan was broken for a while or you did not get one or else it could be you just need to use a bathroom safe paint which contains a fungacide to prevent mildew growth.

Sand the walls well. PVA them and then paint with the mildew resistant paint. Its not to dear in th own brands but worth the money

Advertisement