Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Technician Studies

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all,

I am interested in the above course for 2010 entry. I am a mature student and am back in college now but not enjoying my course and think this would be of much greater interest to me. Anyone out there doing this course at the moment??

Just wondering how it is, the hours etc.... and also how the job prospects are looking!! Thanks for any info you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BecJ

40 views and no comments!! Anyone got any info out there, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Hi,

I don't do this course I do Nutraceuticals however we shared the majority of classes with Pharmacy Techs and I have quiet a few friends in second year doing it.

In first year it is about 20 hours a week taking chemistry, biology, micro, maths and pharmacy and toxicology.

From what I've heard second year is similar about 20 hours expect in semister two you have one day of class a week and 4 days a week work placement.

On the jobs front majority of the people doing the course already work part-time or some full time in a pharmacy so it's more building on there experience!

If you want something more detailed in the Pharmaceutical sector Pharmaceutical Healthcare is a four year honours degree!

Any other specific question I can ask my friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

does this course mostly attract mature students? anyone else accepted it on the cao for this year? how many are in lectures/classes:p any info gr8ly appreciated!!!!!!!!! x

It is usually a 70:30 divide (70% CAO and 30% mature that is my opinion the official stats may be slightly different).

There are usually about 40+ in the class (always a popular course).

The course coordinator is really nice person. She is very well known in her field also!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carinabean

I started the course in DIT in 2010, i only lasted 2 months, cuz i found alot of the stuff we were expected to learn wasnt very relevant to the actual job, i was doing even more difficult than honours maths for the leaving cert, advanced chemistry, micro biology, molecular equations and so on! Along with a crappy timetable, and one very bad teacher (who happened to teach probably the most important class on the whole course)
    Im switching to IT Carlow where if you look at their prospectus online you will see that theres no maths and so on! its more precise, to the point, and relevant to the job!
    I know of people who have trained through working in a pharmacy and doing it part time with the help of their pharmacist so i really didnt see why DIT thought it was necessary to make these subjects mandatory!
    Just thought id let ya know :)

• Advertisement

carinabean wrote: »
    I started the course in DIT in 2010, i only lasted 2 months, cuz i found alot of the stuff we were expected to learn wasnt very relevant to the actual job, i was doing even more difficult than honours maths for the leaving cert, advanced chemistry, micro biology, molecular equations and so on! Along with a crappy timetable, and one very bad teacher (who happened to teach probably the most important class on the whole course)
    Im switching to IT Carlow where if you look at their prospectus online you will see that theres no maths and so on! its more precise, to the point, and relevant to the job!
    I know of people who have trained through working in a pharmacy and doing it part time with the help of their pharmacist so i really didnt see why DIT thought it was necessary to make these subjects mandatory!
    Just thought id let ya know :)

This is due to DIT always allowing the ability to progress after completing the Higher Cert. A few of my class mates completed the HC in Pharmacy Tech course with distinction and continued on and are going into their 4th year of Honours BSc in Pharmaceutical Technology. Without all these modules further education wouldn't be as accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sciency

JohnG18 wrote: »
    This is due to DIT always allowing the ability to progress after completing the Higher Cert. A few of my class mates completed the HC in Pharmacy Tech course with distinction and continued on and are going into their 4th year of Honours BSc in Pharmaceutical Technology. Without all these modules further education wouldn't be as accessible.

Just thought I'd bump up this thread, on Monday I accepted my offer for this course, really looking forward to it, in a nervous/excited way !!! Anybody else starting or going in to 2nd year or finished ??

- I've been looking at the module list, looks like we'll be sharing some subjects in common with other courses e.g. Nurtaceuticals like your course John G ??

-I managed to get a look at what looks like a timetable (very confusing) via entering 'students' 'timetables' username and password....I presume the class will be split up for certain things like labwork ??? Is some of the course in Kevin Street? I know it's based primarily in Cathal Brugha Street.

- Do many drop out - I'm asking this as I was doing nursing in UCD a few years ago and dropped out half way through 2nd year when I damaged my back, all is good with me now & I'm really interested in healthcare and have a bit of pharmacy experience from part time work so reckoned I'd go for this, it's only 2 years with work experience for good measure, and I'd have some of the biology/chemistry/microbiology covered from the nursing so it would be revision in a way....also, not that it's all that important, but I suppose it's female dominated like nursing was ??

Thanks in advance !!! :)

Sciency wrote: »
    Just thought I'd bump up this thread, on Monday I accepted my offer for this course, really looking forward to it, in a nervous/excited way !!! Anybody else starting or going in to 2nd year or finished ??

- I've been looking at the module list, looks like we'll be sharing some subjects in common with other courses e.g. Nurtaceuticals like your course John G ??

-I managed to get a look at what looks like a timetable (very confusing) via entering 'students' 'timetables' username and password....I presume the class will be split up for certain things like labwork ??? Is some of the course in Kevin Street? I know it's based primarily in Cathal Brugha Street.

- Do many drop out - I'm asking this as I was doing nursing in UCD a few years ago and dropped out half way through 2nd year when I damaged my back, all is good with me now & I'm really interested in healthcare and have a bit of pharmacy experience from part time work so reckoned I'd go for this, it's only 2 years with work experience for good measure, and I'd have some of the biology/chemistry/microbiology covered from the nursing so it would be revision in a way....also, not that it's all that important, but I suppose it's female dominated like nursing was ??

Thanks in advance !!! :)

Whoops kept meaning to reply! You will share quite a few modules in First year particularly. In 2nd year the Pharmacy Techs diversify.

I tried to look at the time table but they usually go down from 10pm on wards I find. When you are searching put 6-14 in the week field for semester 1 and 23-32 for semester 2. Labs are usually broken up depending on the amount of students taken in. I think we are only allowed a maximum of 16-20 per lab?

Regarding people dropping out I would say no but there was a high enough amount of people repeating (be careful!!!) :)

It's mainly females yes. I believe there were as few as 5 males to about 40 females in the class of 2010.

Any other questions just shoot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sciency

JohnG18 wrote: »
    Whoops kept meaning to reply! You will share quite a few modules in First year particularly. In 2nd year the Pharmacy Techs diversify.

I tried to look at the time table but they usually go down from 10pm on wards I find. When you are searching put 6-14 in the week field for semester 1 and 23-32 for semester 2. Labs are usually broken up depending on the amount of students taken in. I think we are only allowed a maximum of 16-20 per lab?

Regarding people dropping out I would say no but there was a high enough amount of people repeating (be careful!!!) :)

It's mainly females yes. I believe there were as few as 5 males to about 40 females in the class of 2010.

Any other questions just shoot!!!
    Cheers for that JohnG18, had a look for semester 1's timetable and still a bit confused, looks like all 9.00 starts (as expected) also a couple of late (18.00) finishes :eek:.....sure I won't get caught up in all that until we start properly in 3 wks time, will hopefully get a chance to get my head around things during induction, if I think of anything else to ask I will get back to you...two weeks to go can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clarence83

Hi got a place for this sept 15 in DIT course pharmaceutical healthcare

please i really panicking need some advice from someone who have taken the course before.
    i am a mature student, also will really appreciated if someone can help me with his pass documents for the 1st year
    what are the modules? it is a really hard course? did i make a good choose also by choose DIT are they really helpfull, is their classroom crowded? please some tips.
    please reply in yopu have done parmaceutical healthcare in DIT really desperate of advise.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

clarence83 wrote: »
    Hi got a place for this sept 15 in DIT course pharmaceutical healthcare

please i really panicking need some advice from someone who have taken the course before.
    i am a mature student, also will really appreciated if someone can help me with his pass documents for the 1st year
    what are the modules? it is a really hard course? did i make a good choose also by choose DIT are they really helpfull, is their classroom crowded? please some tips.
    please reply in yopu have done parmaceutical healthcare in DIT really desperate of advise.
    thanks

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

spurious wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

Not native english speaker, my Chinese wife says stuff like this :)
    I assume he/she means past papers.
    clarence83 - all the notes will be online on the Blackboard portal which you will get a login to soon. Past examination papers are on the library website.
    Good luck!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement