Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleedin and Sysyem pressure question.

• 19-01-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, first time poster on DIY anyway I've got a most probable noobie question here. Our system has gone down to just under 1.5 Bar. I have topped this up in the past but this time when I turn on the fill valve there is no sound of any water running into the system. As this hasnt happened before I checked some of the radiators and there is some bleeding required. I did not want to do this until I checked if the reason for this is that there is actually air in the system and if I bleed the radiators the system pressure will drop too low and the system wont refill. We've got a 3 month old and with the cold weather I can't really take the chance that I might accidentally cause the heating system to not work. If I have to get a plumber in then I will but just wanted to ask here just in case it is only a system bleeding issue. Thanks and sorry for the long post/

W

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Is the 1.5 bar when system is hot or cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

If your boiler is filled off mains, might be a case where Co Council in your area have dug up road to fix mains leaks, this will effect your filling pressure. Give it a few more days, even try filling heating late at night, after 11, best pressure then.

Modern Gas boilers will detect to low of pressure, if your pressure is still holding out around a bar, boiler should continue to work, bleeding off some rads will drop pressure so best wait until mains pressure returns.

To give your system a boost where it needs for the moment, you could turn down rad flow in less important rooms, the other rads will have an extra boost in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

System was 1.5 bar when hot. Manged to bleed the air out of 2 rads and the topup valve will work if I leave it for a while but will only add a small amout of water before flow stops. I can hear the flow once the valve is opened but it starts to slow down then almost stops altogether. Other times when I try it there is no sound but as I said if I leave for a while I can top it up a little. System is now up to 2.0 Bar so all is good ATM. Hopefully it will be ok. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far. Cheers, W

Advertisement