Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg City vs Utd (19.01.2010)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

flahavaj wrote: »
    A right aul ding dong battle.

Wanna go catch some Tevez-fish CHD? The Berba-fish is a bit poorly.:pac:
    Gona stick with hoping we install a tropical tank an catch Aguerofish and Patofish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah c'mon considering the local rivalry and the whole welcome to manchester thing, considering the past and "Fergie Fergie sign him up" Tevez was always going to react like that once he scored. You'd be disappointed if he didn't add some fuel to the fire. Of course you'd want to stick it to the guy who didn't bother to sign you when he had the chance. He was quality tonight. Tormented Utd. City fan hit Evra with a lighter. Maybe he looked like he needed a smoke. He jumped for a second, looked like he was shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Cracking game to watch.

Both defences poor but not surprising given both sides were missing both of their first choice CB pairings.

Good result for Chelsea and Arsenal in terms of the league and good for Liverpool, Villa and Spurs in terms of the race for fourth.

Really looking forward to the return-tie next week. One concern I'd have if I were a City fan would be that Mancini might possibility adopt traditional defensive Italian approach and try and keep things tight which generally doesn't work out all that well for teams visiting Old Trafford, especially with a fragile looking defense.

Rooney was immense in the second half but surely a worrying sign how often he had to drop deep in order to get any sort of quality possesion. I thought the overall level of service from midfield was just shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah Bellamy was pretty good as well.

Amazing what Tevez can do with a good manager at the helm....

How many ............................ do I need to add after such a statement for everybody to know its a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Bandit12 wrote: »
    :eek: You serious. Tevez was brilliant.

He really wasn't to be fair. Bellamy was miles better, caused Rafael all sorts of bother. The only reason Tevez got MOTM and not Given or somebody else was because he scored the goals - he didn't even have to work for them.

I'm not a Tevez hater, the guy has some class and works like a horse and tonight he did his usual running 100 miles over the pitch but he just didn't shine like other city players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought it was a poor game to be honest, personally. Both teams lacked a cutting edge. Bellamy provided the one interesting outlet, but the goals we're by in large scrappy. The football didn't flow too well I thought, just end to end, with missed pass after missed pass, and a good tackle here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

magma69 wrote: »
    Deflect it as much as you can. Tevez's celebration was silly. So what! It doesn't change the fact the everyone is in agreement Tevez offers way more to a team than Berbs. Oh no, I forgot, it's only ABU's who say that :rolleyes:.

What did he offer more then berbs last season ? Goals ? No . . Assists ? No . . Effort A+ . . Berbs is an easy player to hate, with the effort tevez puts in, he is easily to like. .

Fact is that Tevez was not very effective as a forward for united . .He scored less then one in three for us in two years. . He has just found his level at City . . Some player arent cut out for world class clubs . . Any liverpool player could explain it to you . ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

United have an away goal. Somethin precious to take out of this. The performance was good too. We were unlucky. And Shay Given hate him :mad: but love him :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CHD wrote: »
    Gona stick with hoping we install a tropical tank an catch Aguerofish and Patofish

Ship has sailed for the Russian captain I'm afraid.

I can't do this again actually.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Tevez wasnt that good. He scored 2 goals which were given to him on a plate by his team-mates.

Shay Given and Nigel De Jong won that match for City.

Man of the Match for me. He broke up so many moves today and more or less gave an example of how a defensive midfielder should play.

He was followed closely by Given and Rooney, who was absolutely immense despite being on the losing side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tevez was always going to react like that once he scored. You'd be disappointed if he didn't add some fuel to the fire. Of course you'd want to stick it to the guy who didn't bother to sign you when he had the chance.

I don't think he saw it as a derby. More of a personal vendetta. I'd be pissed off too if I saw that the same manager could afford to splash out money on Berbatov who imo (and all other ABU's:rolleyes:) works harder than him week in and week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,366 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good game and Tevez was fantastic, it really looks poor form for the United fans to try and state that Tevez was no good for United. I would have Tevez over Berbatov any day of the week.

Given done really well tonight. There is something wrong with United and the only player who is playing anyway near his best is Rooney.

City fan hit Evra with a lighter. Maybe he looked like he needed a smoke. He jumped for a second, looked like he was shot.

Well I barely saw the lighter bounce off him on the slow-mo replay, can't say I blame him for jumping. The commentators got it right though, disgusting carry on from any football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

He really wasn't to be fair. Bellamy was miles better, caused Rafael all sorts of bother. The only reason Tevez got MOTM and not Given or somebody else was because he scored the goals - he didn't even have to work for them.

I'm not a Tevez hater, the guy has some class and works like a horse and tonight he did his usual running 100 miles over the pitch but he just didn't shine like other city players.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

noodler wrote: »
    How many ............................ do I need to add after such a statement for everybody to know its a joke?

...................................................................................

Atleast this many, according to Boards.ie regulation code no. 492, subsection A, paragraph 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nigel De Jong was very impressive. Given was great too and Tevez was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

IvySlayer wrote: »
    United have an away goal. Somethin precious to take out of this. The performance was good too. We were unlucky. And Shay Given hate him :mad: but love him :o

Away goals don't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Don't ever post in great detail here but...

Bandit take off ur red(pool) glasses for a minute. Tevez wasn't that great at all, he's gonna get it even worse next week from the united fans because all he's done since he's left is shown nothing but a complete lack of respect for us, if he wanted the fans to like him he should have just shut up and played his football, let him get back at Fergie that way.

On the Tevez Berba thing, I'd rather have Tevez in my side to be honest, if you look back at the 07/08 season when Rooney and Tevez played regularly together they were emmense imo. However, saying that Berbs is rubish is stupid and probably coming from Chelski, Man City and Pool fans who don't watch matches and just look at the scorers on skysports.com eating some nice prawn sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well done city. Utd need to get Vidic/Ferdinand playing soon. Too many sloppy goals. Seemed like Rooney was taking city on on his own at times. Interesting to see if Fergie plays a full strength team next time out as well seeing as its followed by the Arsenal league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Drumpot wrote: »
    What did he offer more then berbs last season ? Goals ? No . . Assists ? No . . Effort A+ . . Berbs is an easy player to hate, with the effort tevez puts in, he is easily to like. .

Fact is that Tevez was not very effective as a forward for united . .He scored less then one in three for us in two years. . He has just found his level at City . . Some player arent cut out for world class clubs . . Any liverpool player could explain it to you . ..
    Well if that is what you believe fair enough. But you are in a very tiny minority of biased United fans. All neutrals think Tevez>Berbatov, all pundits think Tevez>Berbatov. Not much else to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

IvySlayer wrote: »

Do away goals count?

Julez wrote: »
    Don't ever post in great detail here but...

Tevez wasn't that great at all, he's gonna get it even worse next week from the united fans because all he's done since he's left is shown nothing but a complete lack of respect for us, if he wanted the fans to like him he should have just shut up and played his football, let him get back at Fergie that way.

And score more goals at City than he did for United. He is a top quality player and I'd say Fergie is kicking himself for not keeping him.

EDIT: And also he played his football tonight and got back at Fergie by scoring two goals.

Julez wrote: »
    Tevez wasn't that great at all

:eek:

Well if that is what you believe fair enough. But you are in a very tiny minority of biased United fans. All neutrals think Tevez>Berbatov, all pundits think Tevez>Berbatov. Not much else to say about it.

Suits Tevez to be a big fish in a small pond tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sounds to me like Given was MOTM just from reading the comments here. He seems to have stopped great United efforts on at least 3 or 4 occasions.

Gutted I missed this game. Sounded like a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Well done city. Utd need to get Vidic/Ferdinand playing soon. Too many sloppy goals. Seemed like Rooney was taking city on on his own at times. Interesting to see if Fergie plays a full strength team next time out as well seeing as its followed by the Arsenal league game.

Hopefully he will ;)

Away goals don't count.

Why have they changed the rules this season. I thought it used to be that they counted after extra time.

Interesting to see if Fergie plays a full strength team next time out as well seeing as its followed by the Arsenal league game.

I reckon Fergie will field the strongest team he can, if United go out of the Carling Cup then that's a significant chance for silverware gone. And if our current form doesn't improve the Premier League is a very risky chance to take. Whereas if United get by City they'll have Villa or Blackburn, no walk in the park but no Chelsea either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Kompany and De Jong impressed people so much, where were they for the last 20 minutes?
    They certainly weren't in midfield, United were totally on top in midfield for the last 20 minutes or thereabouts.

Given was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

CCCP^ wrote: »
    :eek:
    Anyone who says Tevez is not in good form at the moment needs their head examined. thats five in the last three.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hopefully he will ;)

:D I hope he doesn't. I'II put it in Villas hands to stop city if a mixed 11 isn't good enough. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Away goals don't count.
    Do away goals count?

If its 1-0 United aet at old trafford they do.

:D I hope he doesn't. I'II put it in Villas hands to stop city if a mixed 11 isn't good enough. ;)

Come on Blackburn..... *cough* But that's another thread for another day.

I meant tonight he wasn't that great bar the goals. He wasn't in the game much apart from that. Peno and a headed goal from two yards, De Jong, Given, Rooney and even Bellamy put in a better shift.

Anyone who says Tevez is not in good form at the moment needs their head examined. thats five in the last three.

That's why I was in shock at Julez comment, especially his performance in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Away goals don't count.
    Do away goals count?

ASK MYSELF

From the Carling Cup webpage (rules)

13.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.

So yes they count after extra time

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_tevezhaters.gif

That's why I was in shock at Julez comment, especially his performance in this game.

Ok, I'm open to be corrected, what else memorable did he do tonight(celebrations don't count)? Some weird fish out of water flopped headed attempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yeah meant that. Wasn't referring to your post there. Tevez on this form could be the striker to watch in second half of the season. Fergie may still rue selling him.

• Advertisement

I reckon Fergie will field the strongest team he can, if United go out of the Carling Cup then that's a significant chance for silverware gone.

Arsene Wenger has it right with the Carling Cup. Tonight was a special case since it was local rivals (and fair play to city for putting away Utds strongest team available) but as far as Utd goes the CC is not on the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Kompany and De Jong impressed people so much, where were they for the last 20 minutes?
    They certainly weren't in midfield, United were totally on top in midfield for the last 20 minutes or thereabouts.

Of course not, he was at centre half like he was for the previous 70 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In the last three games alone . . Berbs has won the possession back for the team more then Rooney and has been directly involved in most our goals. . Because he walks around the pitch like he doesnt give a feck people assume he is doing nothing . .

Yet . . Most pundits haven't awknowledged this, or his contribution to the team this season . . The fact that he is actually starting to play well (when playing in his correct position). . Berbs is simply the fallguy for anything bad that happens to United . .

As much as you might think I am over estimating Berbs importance to united this season, you are definitely over estimating Tevez contributions to United. In truth most united fans wanted Tevez more then berbs because of his demeanor and his attitude (it certainly wasnt for his goalscoring ability!) . .

You may say in Hindsight he has proven fergie wrong, it might simply be a case that he couldnt play up top with Rooney . .

I'd have put "quack quack quack" in the speech bubble myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a lucky bounce of the ball!

He better get in trouble for these celebrations!!!

You're joking right?!!!!!!!!!!!

United fans are unbelievable!!!

I seem to remember Gary Neville 'warming up' in the 7th added minute of fergie time at the city end of Old Trafford and he got a 'warning'.

:rolleyes: I don't use rolleyes often but when I do theres a need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

5 in 3 games - wow, he's a striker thats what he's suppose to do, nobody said he's not in good form, some including me reckon he didn't deserve MOTM - but as usual he got it cause the hype was based all around him pre match and cause he got the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Johnny Evans and Wes Brown were attrocious in centre half tonight. Every ball that came into the united box seemed to have not been dealt with, and when city scored their second goal, the pair of 'em were running for the same ball.

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course not, he was at centre half like he was for the previous 70 minutes
    And who was marking Rooney? One of the best players on the pitch, and deffo MoM of it had been a draw imo.

Kinda what he did from the bench all last season wasn't it? If he had the English to write on a Twitter he'd have been dangerous.:pac:

Ace2007 wrote: »
    5 in 3 games - wow, he's a striker thats what he's suppose to do, nobody said he's not in good form, some including me reckon he didn't deserve MOTM - but as usual he got it cause the hype was based all around him pre match and cause he got the goals.
    lol no striker is expected to hit 5 in 3 games.

Especially his performance in this game.

Are you actually serious? Where was Tevez good this game? Where did he make space and cause problems for United's defence?

Taking out the penalty (because it was a cracker that would have taken van's head off if he didn't move) Tevez could have been replaced by another name on that pitch tonight and nobody would have noticed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement