Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg City vs Utd (19.01.2010)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fergie interview on SSN now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    And who was marking Rooney?

Rooney started dropping deep when Owen came on. I certainly wouldn't want one of my centre halves wandering after him in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That_Guy wrote: »

missed it, what did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

to the poster who said maybe Rooney and Tevez couldn't play together. they did ok the year you's won the double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That_Guy wrote: »

Missed it . . What did he say ?

If he was asked about the refs performance and says he was sh*t I cant wait to see the idiotic replys from ABU's. . What is he supposed to say . . Ask a stupid question . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Are you actually serious? Where was Tevez good this game? Where did he make space and cause problems for United's defence?

Taking out the penalty (because it was a cracker that would have taken van's head off if he didn't move) Tevez could have been replaced by another name on that pitch tonight and nobody would have noticed.
    second goal was classic poachers goal. Positioning was spot on. He had a point to prove tonight. He proved it. Two goals. Cant ask for more than that can you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pedro K wrote: »
    Johnny Evans and Wes Brown were attrocious in centre half tonight. Every ball that came into the united box seemed to have not been dealt with, and when city scored their second goal, the pair of 'em were running for the same ball.

Shocking stuff.

I thought Evans was really poor tonight(and I'm a fan of his) but Brown got his head to the ball on numerous occassions when he wasn't favourite. Agree though, the second goal was appalling.

I thought it was a poor game overall. Uniteds poor form goes on and on and is a real worry now. Rooney, Giggs, Evra and to a lesser extent Valencia all plyed well. The centre of midfield is becoming more alarming with each passing week.

Given and De Jong were Citys best players for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I felt sick when Tevez scored that second goal. Either way, I watch football because it is exciting and the last twenty minutes of that match were fantastic to watch. I had dreams of Diouf saving the day but they left it far too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

second goal was classic poachers goal. Positioning was spot on. He had a point to prove tonight. He proved it. Two goals. Cant ask for more than that can you.

Three goals, obviously. Maybe even an aul assist.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Are you actually serious? Where was Tevez good this game? Where did he make space and cause problems for United's defence?

Taking out the penalty (because it was a cracker that would have taken van's head off if he didn't move) Tevez could have been replaced by another name on that pitch tonight and nobody would have noticed.

I think Tevez did very well to come back and help out when City found themselves under pressure in their own half. I would have left him on, let him finish the game, because he was started to really get into gear by the 2nd goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

When Adebayor ran down the pitch to celebrate in front of the Gunners fans, all I heard was that he would have had a lot more respect if he didn't celebrate at all. None of that rub off on Tevez did it.

From what I remember before the first game against United (in the league), Tevez said he wouldn't celebrate if he scored. After the match, he said he'd make a point of it the next time if he got a chance because of the reception he got!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think me and you were watchin the same game, maybe someone can post a link to the game they watched. The game i watched bellamy was immensed, he destroyed rafael, running rings around him, it was him the won the peno(never a peno) he chased down everything.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    to the poster who said maybe Rooney and Tevez couldn't play together. they did ok the year you's won the double.

I think you will find that they didn't play up front together . .

Rooney played out on the wings that season (remember Dunphy and Giles constantly moaning about it?) . .

Ronaldo was our striker. He played alongside Tevez far more often then with Rooney . .

They were never a convincing partnership. . Fergie certainly didnt think so . . Thats good enough for me . . Suppose trusting fergie's judgement over "pundits" and many other people is difficult for some to understand . . :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

There was a 19 Center back behind him ready to do the exact same thing... maybe he should be playing up front for you too with his spot on positioning. Our three boys made it easy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

are people really tryin to say tevez didn't have a great game tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So you're saying that his one instance of hanging around in the box meant he played great? Seriously?

I need a bit more to go on than that before I consider a performance great.

Maybe Giggs played great because he moved his way in front of the City defence that one time to pick up his goal? No.

Playing great is a little bit more than being right place right time once or twice in an entire match, especially when that once or twice wasn't as a direct result of a movement by the player in question.

Yes, because he didn't. See above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ntlbell wrote: »
    are you mixing up names?

No sorry, in he, I meant Evans.

Gibson doesn't like going forward with the ball and Evans didn't seem to either.

It was a bit misleading alright, sorry!

jasonorr wrote: »
    From what I remember before the first game against United (in the league), Tevez said he wouldn't celebrate if he scored. After the match, he said he'd make a point of it the next time he got a chance because of the reception he got!

Yeh and from what I remember Tevez thought that united fans should understand why he moved to City (their nearest rivals) . . Respect comes from respect . . He spat in our faces and can enjoy being at the Championships tallest football ground . . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

pfffft

All he did was score two goals, one a penalty ffs

/Wenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have never hated a player more then Tevez after the gesture he made to United fans tonight.

By god he has a short memory. I was there when Feguson took him off in the Arsenal game at home last season when the whole crowd booed the decision. Fans adored his effort to the club and taught he wanted to stay. Instead he only a money grabbing man and I will never ever want him to do well again.

O I did have a little smile on my face about the gesture to United in sense wasnt he the person doing all the talking last season?:confused:

Tevez does not deserve to play for the mighty Reds. No loss and good riddance.

O and its only half time. BRING ON NEXT WEDNESDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Des wrote: »
    /Wenger

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Great match, I enjoyed that even if United did lose. Hope the second leg is as good.

Didn't like the Tevez celebration, as my Da used to always say, let your football do the talking.

pfffft

/Wenger
    two goals in derby game in carling cup semi against former club= great game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I have never hated a player more then Tevez after the gesture he made to United fans tonight.

By god he has a short memory. I was there when Feguson took him off in the Arsenal game at home last season when the whole crowd booed the decision. Fans adored his effort to the club and taught he wanted to stay. Instead he only a money grabbing man and I will never ever want him to do well again.

O I did have a little smile on my face about the gesture to United in sense wasnt he the person doing all the talking last season?:confused:

O and its only halt time. BRING ON NEXT WEDNESDAY

But they booed him whenever he touched the ball playing for City in the league at OT earlier in the season. What goes around comes around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Great game and again absolutely delighted for Tevez!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

A few of you lads left your sarcasm detectors off when you came into the thread.

How did Tevez and Bellamy not get booked for the studs up is my only question after the match, bit weird.

Lol, yeah because you lot have been lovely to him since he left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh and from what I remember Tevez thought that united fans should understand why he moved to City (their nearest rivals) . . Respect comes from respect . . He spat in our faces and can enjoy being at the Championships tallest football ground . . :D

Get over it, ye treated him poorly, I don't blame him for anything he's done. Absolute legend and a great player, I've always thought so even though I don't like many United (ex) players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Your sour at the moment. Fergie had a chance. Tevez, I'm sure, tought he was staying too but like anybody wanted to sort his future out. He got abuse at OT and for you to say he is no loss to utd, your daft to think that imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

pfffft

/Wenger

That's not enough these days. Today your professional footballer must stop Global Warming, end the Recession, save 200 helpless Kittens trapped up Tree's AND THEN score 2 goals in a cup derby.

• Advertisement

Get over it, ye treated him poorly, I don't blame him for anything he's done. Absolute legend and a great player, I've always thought so even though I don't like many United (ex) players.
    Yes why did Tevez move. Because like alonso he felt under appreciated. Agree he should have toned down the celebrations. But footballing wise he has been very impressive in his last two home games.

Can't wait.........
    Maybe the "legend" Owen might see a little of the game

And maybe Tevez was doing all the talking last season but he's certainly doing a lot more than that this season:D

Draupnir wrote: »
    A few of you lads left your sarcasm detectors off when you came into the thread.

How did Tevez and Bellamy not get booked for the studs up is my only question after the match, bit weird.

Didn't you hear???????
    Tevez threw his wallet at the linesman or Ref:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Tevezzzz

3728668669_aa199aefc6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Tevez wasnt that spectacular infront of goal. A penalty, and a tap in, hardly going to make Fergie second guess himself. Especially along with the celebrations that he swore he wouldnt do because of his admiration of the club.

miralize wrote: »
    Tevez wasnt that spectacular infront of goal. A penalty, and a tap in, hardly going to make Fergie second guess himself.

The other 15 goals he has might though
    Especially along with the celebrations that he swore he wouldnt do because of his admiration of the club.

Incorrect. He said he wouldn't do it OT. Everything else is fair game, especially considering the United fans were hardly showing the love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

From a fan on BBC site:
    "Last time we lost 2-1 away in a cup knock-out round we won the home leg 7-1 against Roma in 2007. Let's hope for the same next week!"

:D:pac:

Tevez wasnt that spectacular infront of goal. A penalty, and a tap in, hardly going to make Fergie second guess himself. Especially along with the celebrations that he swore he wouldnt do because of his admiration of the club.

Who gives a damn?????
    He could've lain down on the pitch for the whole game and only got up to get the 2 goals, it's irrelevant cos he got the 2 goals which won us the match!!!

With all the abusive Tevez has got from United fans he had every right to celebrate the way he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From what I remember before the first game against United (in the league), Tevez said he wouldn't celebrate if he scored. After the match, he said he'd make a point of it the next time if he got a chance because of the reception he got!

Ah, that's fair enough. The lad is entitled to rub it in then, great entertainment.

He missed a good chance in the first half too and a few United fans loved it.

Everybody hates seeing ex players scoring against them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

If Tevez didn't think he was going to get abuse after going to our local rivals, he's certainly stupider than I thought. If he can't understand why the fans were gutted, it's beyond me that he can't understand.

If he had of gone to a different team, do you think he would be booed. Sylvestre doesn't get booed after going to Arsenal. Becks will get a good reception as many other ex United players do when they come back. Keane was had his farewell at Old Trafford and was appreciated and if Tevez had of gone anywhere else but our local rivals, he would have got the same treatment.

If he hadn't celebrated his goals, he would have earned so much respect for it too.

As a United fan I don't blame Tevez for his celebrations. Twas his night.

If Tevez didn't think he was going to get abuse after going to our local rivals, he's certainly stupider than I thought. If he can't understand why the fans were gutted, it's beyond me that he can't understand.

And it's beyond me how fans think they can give a player shit and then get offended when they get some back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i think people are sayin others had better.

If he had of gone to a different team, do you think he would be booed. Sylvestre doesn't get booed after going to Arsenal. Becks will get a good reception as many other ex United players do when they come back. Keane was had his farewell at Old Trafford and was appreciated and if Tevez had of gone anywhere else but our local rivals, he would have got the same treatment.

If he hadn't celebrated his goals, he would have earned so much respect for it too.

well he's being england over 3 years and he could hardly string a sentance together so he's hardly the smartest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Fenix wrote: »
    The abuse he's got fromn utd fans has been warrented.

The man is a greedy little 2 faced ****.

Get real , utd f*cked him out and he comes back to haunt em....quality player is tevez , utd made a big mistake gettin rid of him

Fenix wrote: »
    The abuse he's got fromn utd fans has been warrented.

Probably is but then so are his celebrations.

I wonder are Patrice, Park and Carlos still talking.

A striker who scores less then one in three goals for united scores more then 1 in 2 for a smaller club . . Why is anybody surprised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And it's beyond me how fans think they can give a player shit and then get offended when they get some back.

Think you are missing my point. Tevez could have gone elsewhere. It's where he choose to go which has gotten him the stick that he is getting.

Money talks I suppose.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    Get real , utd f*cked him out and he comes back to haunt em....quality player is tevez , utd made a big mistake gettin rid of him

Did united make a great mistake selling Forlan ? ?

So tell me, whats the differance between the two ? Neither were able to be successful strikers at United . .

Advertisement