Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg City vs Utd (19.01.2010)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wonder are Patrice, Park and Carlos still talking.

Tevez texts Evra every day apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And it's beyond me how fans think they can give a player shit and then get offended when they get some back.

The fans aren't on £100,000 per week professional contracts. The Adebayor thing with Arsenal is probably a better aid to my point, but still the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointed about the result considering the penalty decision was a joke. I doubt there will be as much a fuss made about that as there was the extra 5 seconds or so that was added on for the league game at Old Trafford.

As for Tevez, well he just confirmed what I thought about him anyway. I was never into the love-in that some United fans were willing to give him before the Old Trafford game.

I don't believe City will be able to withstand the pressure at Old Trafford and can see United winning by two goals. Roll on the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Johner wrote: »

Never said whether he text him back! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And it's beyond me how fans think they can give a player shit and then get offended when they get some back.

Ach, in fairness Owen wouldn't act like Tevez did, but you have a valid point.
    Cantona had his backers though.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    A striker who scores less then one in three goals for united scores more then 1 in 2 for a smaller club . . Why is anybody surprised ?

Its a small club going places.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

magma69 wrote: »
    Well if that is what you believe fair enough. But you are in a very tiny minority of biased United fans. All neutrals think Tevez>Berbatov, all pundits think Tevez>Berbatov. Not much else to say about it.

What an absurd claim.

A. You have absolutely zero basis for this claim

B. Even if they do, I'm going to go with Fergie, you know, the guy who has won the most titles ever as a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Think you are missing my point. Tevez could have gone elsewhere. It's where he choose to go which has gotten him the stick that he is getting.

Money talks I suppose.
    Fenix wrote: »
    The fans aren't on £100,000 per week professional contracts. The Adebayor thing with Arsenal is probably a better aid to my point, but still the same thing.

And that's exactly why him signing for City made perfect sense. He's a professional. It was a career move both money and playing wise and it's paying off.

Result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The whiff of bad loosers on this thread is stinking out the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Gary Neville showing his class as per usual, this was aimed at Tevez after his equaliser. Obv thats who Tevez was mouthing at when running back

610x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Did united make a great mistake selling Forlan ? ?

So tell me, whats the differance between the two ? Neither were able to be successful strikers at United . .

Utd didnt sell tevez , they chose not to keep him. He was a free agent so whats the prob in going somewhere where he gets the most money , its a job at the end of the day , be it a well paid job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a great pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BERBA wrote: »
    Utd didnt sell tevez , they chose not to keep him. He was a free agent so whats the prob in going somewhere where he gets the most money , its a job at the end of the day , be it a well paid job.

Ah .. Sidestepping the point . .

As a striker he failed for United . . No amount of goals for City will change that irrefutable fact . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Johner wrote: »

That was during tha match.:pac:

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Gary Neville showing his class as per usual, this was aimed at Tevez after his equaliser. Obv thats who Tevez was mouthing at when running back

610x.jpg

Only makes me love the Neviller even more.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

610x.jpg

That's what he gets for not sending him any texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Only makes me love the Neviller even more.:pac:

What a legend . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The amount of wind-up merchants in this thread is mental.

As a United fan, I don't really care for some of the ****e that's spouted on here about this club and that club. It's as if nobody on this forum actually likes their own team, but instead just takes pleasure in seeing their rivals lose. Of course I'd prefer if City and Liverpool lost every weekend, but I don't see the point in coming on here like a 3-year-old and laughing about it.

And as for other United fans, STOP bloody reacting to people saying things. Have some sense.

Expected nothing less from him.

Really hope he plays in the second leg. Let Bellers have a shot at him.

As a striker he failed for United . . No amount of goals for City will change that irrefutable fact . .

30 goals this season, No?

Maybe SAF was wrong? I know it's rare and hard to admit, but maybe, just maybe.................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Not too concerned about Tevez, he'll have f***ed off to Argentina or retired by the the start of next season. He didn't do the business for us and wasn't worth the money,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

610x.jpg

That picture is gold!!

Shame Neville never had any taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

me thinks maybe SAF got this one wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

And that's exactly why him signing for City made perfect sense. He's a professional. It was a career move both money and playing wise and it's paying off.

Result.

I simply think that if he wonders why he gets that reception from United fans and wonders why, he's not the brightest.

How do you think the City fans would react if lets say (prior to the City take over) if lets say, Stephen Ireland went to play for United. They would react the same way.

The thing with Tevez is that I am sure he could have gone somewhere and gotten plenty of money and managed to get his game. I wonder if Robinho goes and City get another big name striker in, will Tevez still be getting his game if all strikers are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I simply think that if he wonders why he gets that reception from United fans and wonders why, he's not the brightest.

I don't think there's any wondering why he gets that reaction. That doesn't mean he has to be happy about it or put up with it.

Frankly I think he's right and he answered them on the pitch tonight. Still think he had a distinctly average game but what I wouldn't give for a striker that had a very average game every week and banged in almost a goal a game along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Iago wrote: »
    I don't think there's any wondering why he gets that reaction. That doesn't mean he has to be happy about it or put up with it.

Frankly I think he's right and he answered them on the pitch tonight. Still think he had a distinctly average game but what I wouldn't give for a striker that had a very average game every week and banged in almost a goal a game along the way.

I agree that the only way he could answer it was on the pitch but don't think he's right with the way he celebrated. I think if he didn't celebrate the way he did and simply didn't celebrate, he would have maybe smoothed over some cracks and still would have put his mark on the game. I don't see it as much different than what Adebayor done as in simply winding up fans.

Neither do I think he should have gotten man of the match. Shay, De Jong, Bellamy and Rooney were brilliant and any of them deserved to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mike65 wrote: »
    The whiff of bad loosers on this thread is stinking out the place.

I've forgotten, what does 2 legs mean again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paleface wrote: »
    But they booed him whenever he touched the ball playing for City in the league at OT earlier in the season. What goes around comes around!

What did he expect?

He told the fans he wanted to stay, the fans trusted him

Come on like

Lol, yeah because you lot have been lovely to him since he left :rolleyes:

WTF did he expect.

we adored him as fans were you in Old Trafford when Fergie took him off and the reaction of the fans was to boo Ferguson and chant Tevezs name??

Get real will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »

It means substances that affect balance should be avoided. Like Alcohol...

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »

Two legs good, one leg bad.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Ahh Gary Neville the ultimate classless tool.

WTF did he expect.

we adored him as fans were you in Old Trafford when Fergie took him off and the reaction of the fans was to boo Ferguson and chant Tevezs name??

Get real will ya.

And the reaction to his return to OT was relentless booing even though he said beforehand that he wouldn't celebrate in front of the fans. Clearly adored alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And the reaction to his return to OT was relentless booing even though he said beforehand that he wouldn't celebrate in front of the fans. Clearly adored alright.

You are missing the point here.

He WAS clearly loved by the majority of United fans, when he was there. "Fergie sign him up" ringing any bells?

Then, due to a number of factors, with misdoings on both sides, he became something of a cartoon villain to United fans, and a cartoon hero to the City fans.

It's a pantomime, and he's the main character here.

Once he joined City he was always going to be boo-ed, no question. The way the whole sorry affair was conducted, there was no other outcome.

United fans hurt by perceived betrayal, Ferguson, their god, saying Tevez was at fault, that big sign that City put up, the fact that the clubs are very old rivals.

And now, United fans in some kind of bizarre denial about his talents, City fans bigging him up.

It's why we love football.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

So sorry I couldn't catch this game! Anyone have a link to the highlights? (like Sky or BBC commentary?)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Typical. Grudges spoil a good game.

Both sides are wrong and both sides are right in the case of Tevez. He's always been a bit of a difficult player for managers to deal with (look up his past with Corinthians) and some of the comments he has made don't exactly put him in a good light. But at the same time he was dinked around a wee bit by United's humming and hawing over him, heck some Untied fans here seem to forget the amount of calls they made of Ferguson to play him more. Manager and Player in clash of egos... big whoop.

As for Neville, well if the comments are correct at him having directed that at Tevez, well he really is a muppet tbh. You'd forgive a player 10-15 years his junior maybe, but Christ, this guy's the club captain. He's meant to be a role model for the players He's supposed to be the players representative, and he resorts to little spiteful actions like that? I'd have his head if he were my captain tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

What confuses me is how everyone keeps going on about Teve$ performance, he scored a penalty and a tap in, and apart from that did nothing apart from run around like a headless chicken.

Rooney failed to score but had ten times the performance Teve$ had.

curry-muff wrote: »
    What confuses me is how everyone keeps going on about Teve$ performance, he scored a penalty and a tap in, and apart from that did nothing apart from run around like a headless chicken.

No arguments there. He was decent but not MOM. However goals win games so he did his job to great effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

No arguments there. He was decent but not MOM. However goals win games so he did his job to great effect.

Yeah im not saying it wasn't, he did well to score the penalty under so much pressure and although it would be near impossible to miss the second he took it well, all I was saying though is apart from the goals he didn't do much.

Des wrote: »
    You are missing the point here.

He WAS clearly loved by the majority of United fans, when he was there. "Fergie sign him up" ringing any bells?

Then, due to a number of factors, with misdoings on both sides, he became something of a cartoon villain to United fans, and a cartoon hero to the City fans.

It's a pantomime, and he's the main character here.

Once he joined City he was always going to be boo-ed, no question. The way the whole sorry affair was conducted, there was no other outcome.

United fans hurt by perceived betrayal, Ferguson, their god, saying Tevez was at fault, that big sign that City put up, the fact that the clubs are very old rivals.

And now, United fans in some kind of bizarre denial about his talents, City fans bigging him up.

It's why we love football.:)

Player plays badly and scores 2 goals.

Great entertainment. Just hope Owen doesn't score against us, I'll have to to role out the excuses, though I think Tevez has justified his move, Owen is questionable. Maybe Owen should have went to a lower club? Like Liverpool! :pac:

Yeah im not saying it wasn't, he did well to score the penalty under so much pressure and although it would be near impossible to miss the second he took it well, all I was saying though is apart from the goals he didn't do much.

He missed a good chance early on and United fans loved it. That's the way these things go. Wouldn't read too much into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Away goals don't count.

They do but only after extra time.

So if at the end of 90 mins and its 1-0 to United it goes to extra time.

If its still 1-0 to United then they win the tie on away goals no pen shoot out.

Its the same as the league play offs.

This has been the way always in the league cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Somebody else was saying that Ow€n was immense, but I'd agree that Roon€y had an excellent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

So wheres all the chat about the "penalty", Brown and Evans' cock up, Bellamy escaping a yellow card, Given's miracles.....

Its never about the football anymore, its always a poxy soap opera

That makes everything ok then cause every player that leaves a club normally goes ott when he scores against them ya?:rolleyes:

That makes everything ok then cause every player that leaves a club normally goes ott when he scores against them ya?:rolleyes:

Some, not all, but so what if they do? Fans go completely OTT for ex-players all the time. Very quick to dish it out but can't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

not read thru the whole thread but how the fVch did tevez(horrible despicable individual) or bellamy not get red cards for 2 attrocious challenges, as for the penalty waht a joke? Hopefully Mr Dean will spend a few weeks reffing in the lower echelons of the football league as a result.

The only guarantee is that due to Fergie mentality after an unjust result liek this is that they will be properly motivated for next week. I expect Utd to go thru comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

As a United fan I don't blame Tevez for his celebrations. Twas his night.
    there's hope for you yet flah ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

3 things this morning

never a penalty

never a corner

we are gonna batter em at old trafford

that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Whats all this nonsense about United selling Tevez? He was not ours to sell.......

Also just as bad is the 'we chose not to sign him' argument, we chose to sign him but himself and his agent would earn £17M more by refusing and signng for City so thats what happened. All the rest is propaganda by both sides (he had to pretend it was football reasons why he left, United had to pretend they offered the money for him and he refused to sign). The deal to sign for City was done towards last season both sides knew the deal and both sides tried to save as much face as possible by using PR overdrive modes.

Don't be an idiot and believe the media hype please, if you were in the same boat you would have made the same decision as Tevez (whatever his share of the extra money was) so don't hate him for it, its his career after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

K-9 wrote: »

Its a small club going places.

Small club?! We just haven't cracked the asian market yet.

Are you not worried the way your club is going? Choked in some big games against your rivals Liverpool, Leeds and City and had to sell Ronaldo to come into profit. Glazer taking loans and his Tampa team up the shiits.

As for Neville, What a fool he is. He has the maturity of an angry teenager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement