Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Podcasts - recommendations??

• 19-01-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen any threads/forums regarding Podcasts on here so this seems logical place.

I have the luxury of being able to wear an iPod at work so listen to a helluva lot of podcasts so would be interested to hear what other people are listening to and what they recommend?

Would particularly welcome any comedy/satire shows - there's nada there of any note from RTE, Newstalk, TodayFM etc. and I don't find the BBC stuff funny at all. Used to listen to Ricky Gervais but he's flogging a dead horse (ie Karl Pilkington) at this stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Comedy:

Hamish and Andy - Today Network - Australia
    Adam and joe - BBC 6Music
    Chris Moyles - BBC Radio 1
    Scott Mills - BBC Radio 1

Greg and The Morning Buzz - WHEB - USA

The 1st one will have you laighing your ass off!

Edit: just realised you don't like the BBC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Football weekly - Guardian - Great 40 mins show
    Off the ball football show - Newstalk - Epic show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers guys...
    Already a big fan of Football Weekly & Off the Ball. The Times football podcast is ok too but not in the same league really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I like Marian Finucane's show podcasts. They are usually up pretty quickly as well.

The Ian Dempsey podcasts will give you all the Gift Grub podcasts.

As said above, Off The Ball is the funniest show on radio. Always worth a listen. The intro for Ken Early is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭padraig_f

check out The Bugle, very funny.

• Advertisement

Also a massive fan of the Bugle (maybe I should have mentioned a list of podcasts I listen to in opening post :)) - have listened to them from the start and it's top quality stuff. Practically know all the episodes off by heart at this stage from repeated listening.

Here's my current list:
    1) The Bugle
    2) Football Weekly
    3) Filmspotting - would recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in movies
    4) This American Life - from NPR, very interesting documentaries and observations
    5) Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - mildly amusing American political show
    6) Stuff you Should Know
    7) 60 Minutes - American newscast
    8) Newstalk History Show
    9) Off the Ball
    10) The Times 'Game' football show
    11) The Economist
    12) RTE Playback
    13) BBC - Documentaries podcast
    14) BBC - From our own correspondant
    and...to my shame
    15) Liveline.....listening to all the doom and gloom makes you realise your own problems aren't too bad. and Joe Duffy is almost in the so bad he's good category at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fighting Talk
    Football Weekly
    F4W
    Coast 2 Coast AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The Sound of Young America, "a public radio show about things that are awesome". It's not a comedy show itself, it's an interview programme, but he talks to a lot of comedians, standups etc., and plays bits of sketches from them. Good for discovering new comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode's Film Reviews on BBC 5 Live. He's a great reviewer and is always on the money.

60 Minutes Podcast.

WNYC Radio Lab. Some really well produced documentaries.

NPR Talk of the Nation. US current affairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Knob Nation on 2fm can be funny at times but you have to fast forward Gerry R's voice introducing it......knooooooooooooobbbb nnnaaaaaattttiiioooon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Check out anything from Leo Laporte's TWiT network if you are interested in technology, especially the original This Week in Tech.

I also enjoy a lot of the NPR stuff such as Science Friday, Technology and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Comedywise I'd recommend The Dave Gorman Show from Absolute radio, Hamish and Andy from Today network, and you can find the archives of Get This! with Tony Martin sadly no longer being made.

I love podcasts, only ever listen to radio in the car these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Another vote for NPR here.

BBC World Service and Radio 4 also do good stuff - documentaries, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭freefromgov

Mod Edit: Please use the "Pimp My Show" thread for advertising your show - and please only do it once :) I've moved your thread to the PmS thread.

Advertisement