Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All,

Mods feel free to move this one but I think the main point behind this is the benefit of earning certifications.

My question is, do you think I should stay in my job. I work for a small It company. Basically the customer services department. My job bascially involves answering emails and phone calls all day IT support stuff. The salary is quite crap and I mostly feel I'm learning absolutely nothing.

I am considering jacking it in and going studying for certs (ccna, ccnp) full time.

Anyone think I am mad?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Anyone think I am mad?

Yip I do, there is no need what so ever to give up your job to earn these certs, what if you don't get a job after the ccna ccnp.....what then?? I know loads of people that are MCSE/CCNA that cant find jobs....

I worked for 198e per week while I earned my certs which is less then the dole, however it would look better on my c.v that I actually had a job and was also willing to work to get the certs while in employment my driving factor being the low wages and I didn't want to spend much longer in that job, I picked up my certs in no time, studying few hours each night and at weekends

You would be mad to give up the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yep, totally mad.

Getting the CCNA will not get you a better job, stay where you are and at least have the wage coming in. Also your job might pay for your certs, alot do.

See if you can move up internally with the certs, get more expierience, increase your knowledge through more study and then start looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd agree. Keep the job - especially now when its so hard to get any job. You can always do self-study at night. It's a pain in the arse but once you pass the exam you can get your evenings back.

If networking isn't your area, CCNA may be too much to take-on for part-time self-study. How about Network+ or some MCPs to start with? But from reading the papers, some of us may be in the wrong job. How do you become an air traffic controller?:)

Advertisement