Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multilingual websites

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm about to get a new website built that will be in German by default. I was wondering what issues this would bring from a development perspective, if any. The website will be a small catalogue website with online purchasing. Is it advisable that the developer speaks German, or does it make a difference? I was planning on getting a native German speaker to do some SEO on the site after development anyway.

I want to also have the option for users to switch to reading the site in English.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

We have recently redeveloped our website so that it's now multi-lingual and each language runs from a set of .lang files. It means that if we want to add a new language, it can be done very quickly by simply translating a few text files. I'd highly recommend this type of system (but it might be more expensive for your developer to implement).

Our main business is in Ireland, but we are increasing finding that we're catering for customers whose 1st language isn't English.

You can see our site at:
    www.spiralhosting.ie (Irish site)
    www.spiralhosting.fr (French site)

It's pretty neat (IMO). There is a 'flag bar' at the top right which allows you to navigate between the different sites.

Advertisement