Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Shaving Offers (Shops/OnLine)

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:40am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well since this is a Facial Hair (& Hats) forum I thought why not have a thread that covers general shaving stuff thats on offer in the shops or on-line.

Doesn't have to be DE stuff can be normal muliblade stuff from gillette or whoever, think of this as a bargain alerts thread for shaving stuff :)

First up this....saw it in Sam McCauleys.
    15 Mach3 blades for 25e, seems like an "ok" offer...saw it on the 16/01/2010

Ok Ok its not a bargain compared to DE blades but for people that want to stay with these cartridge razors is something that might appeal to them.

mach3blades.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I spotted a similar promo in Boots with several multipacks of Fusion blades,blurb was along the lines of 9 or 12 months shaving. I can't remember the exact price (didn't look too closely as no longer buy them) but was much cheaper than the normal Fusion prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

yeah, I spotted these the other day too - near the top of Henry Street in one of those non-Boots pharmacies.
    So the price for 15 is 24.99
    Lets say its 2.50 for the gel it somes with and 22.50 for the cartridges
    That's 1.50 per cartridge and considering there are 3 blades in a cartridge then that's 50c/blade.
    Getting into DE territory now in terms of pricing.
    Those who champion DE shaving for it economy should think again.
    As for efficacy and pleasure, well that's another matter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seosamh wrote: »
    Those who champion DE shaving for it economy should think again.
    As for efficacy and pleasure, well that's another matter.

Agreed, if Gillette continued to price at this lower price then they might be comparable cost wise.

However of course then there's the single blade v multi-blade issues and the affects on people's skin (incl mine) meaning that just sometimes a DE is far more suitable.

But again not ideal for everyone or there situation,

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

yes cartridge shaving is not for everyone.

It's funny that Gillette has done such a great job marketing its Fushion line with the helping hand of Thierry Henry & Co. that they have to promote Mach 3 this way. It seems that Mach3 are so 1990's compared with its successors and the subliminal messaging contained in 'the best a man can get' is received just as Gillette intended by the average Joe. Who would buy Gillette's second or third best offering - damn it I deserve better!
    But in fact it is the predecessor of the Mach3 that gets a lot of kudos on shaving forums - the Sensor Excel. It's a simpler set-up and doesn't feel like a lawnmower going over your face at its lowest setting.
    One I am interested in trying is the Personna cartridge razor available, when in stock, on iHerb. The reviews seems favourable and I like their DE offering.
    Having said that I haven't used a cartridge in months since I made the switch to DE. I must one a try again just out of curiosity!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any good DE bargains? Thinking of getting one myself but havent a clue where to go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seosamh wrote: »
    It seems that Mach3 are so 1990's compared with its successors and the subliminal messaging contained in 'the best a man can get' is received just as Gillette intended by the average Joe. Who would buy Gillette's second or third best offering - damn it I deserve better!
    But in fact it is the predecessor of the Mach3 that gets a lot of kudos on shaving forums - the Sensor Excel. It's a simpler set-up and doesn't feel like a lawnmower going over your face at its lowest setting.

It really is marketing at its best,

If you look at alot of the Gillette adverts on youtube half the people are clean shaven before they even start shaving its hilarious

Sure give it another year or two and the Fusion will be old old news, prepare for the razor with a built in MP3 player and vibrator :rolleyes:

...oh wait they already have the vibrator part down....
    :p

godtabh wrote: »
    Any good DE bargains? Thinking of getting one myself but havent a clue where to go

None that I'm aware off hand, though shaving.ie has a 12% discount with discount code boards2010 (think thats it) if you order before end of January 2010.

Shaving.ie also has a discount code on the website but think this only gives 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Free Edwin Jagger Sandlewood soap with any Edwin Jagger shaving brush purchased from gentlemans-shop.com here
    Wanted to get myself a good brush and this offer just tipped me over the edge.
    I have purchased from these before and found them very pleasant to deal with, and delivery was quick too (to UK).
    Just checkin now, postage to Ireland is £7.50 so it may not be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bumping this seems the nearest to a bargain alerts thread we have.

Edwin Jagger DE89L on amazon lightning deals for €23.50 for another 2 hours or so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GO38ZY?ref_=gb1h_tit_c-2_8707_ca739994&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Not quite as good a deal Feather AS-D2 on Massdrop working out at about €133 but you may be caught for tax which would negate any saving over buying it on shaving.ie
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/feather-all-stainless?s=feather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Just a heads up for anyone looking for some Proraso products. 4men.ie are selling certain Proraso products for 40% off

http://4men.ie/index.php/brands/proraso.html?limit=48

• Advertisement

I got a newsletter from gifts&care.com this morning. The are having a 50% sale tomorrow for Black Friday.

I used them a few years ago and while delivery was a little slow, they do carry nice stuff.

Also, another email I got from them says that 'customer discount G&C is accumaltive on top of Black Friday discounts'.

Advertisement