Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating - broken flue

• 19-01-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi

The flue chimney for my boiler broke in half recently - saw broken bit on ground yesterday afternoon. The system is original 1970's and I was going to upgrade anyway - this could be a sign to get the finger out! Anyway just wonder can I operate the boiler with the broken chimney or would this pose a risk to me, neighbour or house? The remaining part of flue now goes straight throught the wall whereas previously it had a 90 degree turn here and a few feet of chimney. (pics below)

I had been talking to a contractor re. boiler/heating controls upgrade and must get back on to them anyway. In relation to that - I have original radiators - single, no fins and gunbarrell piping. While the radiators themselves can get hot i don't feel they actually give out much heat and would like to replace them - should I go the whole way and get house replumbed? I am leaning towards this. Contractor felt this would probably be the way to go but wasn't overly pushing it on me. If keeping the piping he didnt think draining system would be good option think due to balancing after. I can only imagine that the system is fairly full of sludge etc and think it probably has served its time. Also not particularly concerned about current floor coverings - also 70's originals (and pretty nasty).

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

i wouldnt reccomend using your boiler as the remaining flue is quite close to your pvc facia and soffit and could let out a fair bit of heat.
    as for your heating system i would go the whole hog of getting it re-piped if going to the trouble of getting a new boiler. when doing this you can get seperate zones (upstairs , downstairs ,hot water). you will really notice the difference when your old radiators and gun barrell pipework is replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Be real careful with broken pieces of flue, broad band is a bit slow here so I've only seen first picture, back in the day asbestos was used for boiler flue construction, looks like your flue is asbestos. Sure you know about asbestos dust.

Best have entire flue replaced with an insulated stainless steel flue, much better for looks, savings and heat loss.

You should replace entire heating system, no offense but its well outdated, GB has only got a life span of 20 to 25 years, if your haven't got leaking pipework its only a matter of time before things start leaking. Your rads are very low output compared to modern rads.

Retro fitting a house with new heating system can be done with out lifting many floors, I've done a fair few, you could keep old boiler, maybe have a service (boiler cleaned out inside) have a new burner fitted along with updated boiler control.With a clean boiler, new burner and control, insulated flue your good to go heat wise.

From boiler start off with new pipework going directly up to attic then you can provide new pipes to new rads by dropping down walls below attic, this minimizes lifting floors, pipes can be dropped in corners boxed over or chased into walls. Pipes can run along skirting board then again boxed over or chased into wall. Plenty of ways to pipe out house with out lifting floors.

Its almost better to keep pipes out of floors (underground) any heat loss from pipes will be lost directly into room instead of being wasted underground. Anything can be done, all depends on budget.

Best not run boiler until flue replaced, boiler has been set up to run off flue before it broke, now that flue is broke boiler wont run right, burner will ignite but you'll just be wasting oil, you'll have little heat compared to what your used to, also you could stink up entire house if wind blows the wrong way while boilers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Thanks guys,

will def leave boiler off (thankfully weather getting milder). Hopefully I can get hold of plumber and get a new system in soon - seems replacing the lot is by far the best way to go. think my flue is prob asbestos alright, had a look on internet about this - have left broken parts on open ground where they fell - hopefully its disposal wont be too much of a problem.

thanks again for the advice :)

Advertisement