Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal/External Insulation

• 19-01-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering about getting my parents home insulated better.
    It's a 100 year old, stonewall build 2-storey farmhouse and it's a pain to heat in cold weather.

Would drylining the external walls be cheaper than actually using external insulation ?

Who would you recommend to carry out an assessment in the Roscommon area ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Pique wrote: »
    Would drylining the external walls be cheaper than actually using external insulation ?

Yes.

Contact at least 3 local Arch Tech, Building Surveyors with full PI insurance. Someone with experience of working on old lime mortar buildings is essential. As they can advise on insulation systems they have installed in past projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

External insulation costs typically €100-110 m2 , drylining can cost about half that if you exclude the knock on costs , altering power points , rads, skirtings , redecorations , altering floor finishes . The initial percived saving is not always realised .

Drylining if not executed by very carefull technical design can lead to hiddn condensation on the origininal internal wall face which can support unhealthy mould growth

I would favour external insulation first - see this example here

http://constructireland.ie/Vol-4-Issue-5/Articles/Passive-Housing/19th-century-ruin-renovated-with-passive-house-aims.html

An example of a carefull dry lining installation can be found here

http://constructireland.ie/Articles/Sustainable-Building-Technology/Ecological-renovation-moves-F-rated-hollow-block-house-up-to-A3/Page-2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I'm insulating an 100+ years old stone house at the minute and have opt'ed for internal insulation.

Reason being that it does not make sence to insulate externally. you have to heat the thick walls of the house 1st before the heat gets trapped by the external insulation.

my 2cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

External insulation will give you better performance and reliability. Because you are wrapping the whole house, there are fewer thermal breaks at walls etc to lose heat. It also brings the dew point to the outside of the wall, reducing problems with condensation that happen at the juncture of cold stone and warm interior insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Pique

I drylined my old 1930 cottage a few year's back with internal 3x2 and 2" insulation.
    It's a great job but if I was doing it now I would go with the External Insulation, it all depends on the condition of the rooms in your house, are you planning to redecorate every room? as you need to take this into account.
    Sinnerboy is right, the cost of altering power points , rads, skirtings , redecorations , altering floor finishes adds up.
    Might be cheaper to go external.

CC

• Advertisement
Advertisement