Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247NWG. modem and DVR settings. - I'm stuck.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I’m trying to view my CCTV cameras over the internet.
    The DVR device uses the http port 80 and ports 67 & 68.
    I’ve gone into export mode and port forwarded ports 67 & 68 for TCP & UDP – doing one port forward for each (rather than a range) – 4 in total.
    In each case when I go to enable the newly created port I am asked to choose which device to apply the port forward setting to.
    I am given list of the pc’s on the home network and the http address of my dvr device. I select the dvr device.

I’ve also port forwarded 80 with udp – its wouldn’t let me do 80 for tcp as its already reserved in this router.

I’ve lowered the firewall to low and then off. I still can’t get access from outside my home.

I’ve tried ip passthrough and static nat also to no avail.
    Is there something I’ve missed?

The dvr device seems to be set to use a static protocol (not sure that that means?). It has other options for pppoe and dhp.
    Should I be changing the protocol on the device and/or the protocol on the netopia , and if I do this will I knock anything out on my home network?

Fwiw I have an xbox on the network which can connect to xbox live by lowering the settings on the firewall and adding the pre set xbox port – so that works.

I’ve just upgraded the netopia firmware to the latest available eircom update.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

sfag wrote: »

I’m trying to view my CCTV cameras over the internet.
    The DVR device uses the http port 80 and ports 67 & 68.
    I’ve gone into export mode and port forwarded ports 67 & 80 for TCP & UDP – doing one port forward for each (rather than a range) – 4 in total.
    In each case when I go to enable the newly created port I am asked to choose which device to apply the port forward setting to.
    I am given list of the pc’s on the home network and the http address of my dvr device. I select the dvr device.

I’ve also port forwarded 80 with udp – its wouldn’t let me do 80 for tcp as its already reserved in this router.

I’ve lowered the firewall to low and then off. I still can’t get access from outside my home.

I’ve tried ip passthrough and static nat also to no avail.
    Is there something I’ve missed?

The dvr device seems to be set to use a static protocol (not sure that that means?). It has other options for pppoe and dhp.
    Should I be changing the protocol on the device and/or the protocol on the netopia , and if I do this will I knock anything out on my home network?

Fwiw I have an xbox on the network which can connect to xbox live by lowering the settings on the firewall and adding the pre set xbox port – so that works.

I’ve just upgraded the netopia firmware to the latest available eircom update.

Any advice is much appreciated.

WHere are these camera located another building or same building?

Which computer are you port fowarding on, The reciving computer or the transmitting computer?

Has the transmitting computer got a static ip from the ISP?

Can you view the camera or http:// site from a computer inside the same network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sfag

msg11 wrote: »
    WHere are these camera located another building or same building?

Which computer are you port fowarding on, The reciving computer or the transmitting computer?

Has the transmitting computer got a static ip from the ISP?

Can you view the camera or http:// site from a computer inside the same network?

1. the cameras are at home. the dedicated dvr device they are connected to is directly connected to the home network.

2. Not port forwarding on any computer. I'm port forwarding on the netopia router.

3. its a dynamic ip and changes every time i restart the netopia router.

4. Yes. Works perfectly. Just cant view it from over the net from another location - eg using the neighbours internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

sfag wrote: »
    1. the cameras are at home. the dedicated dvr device they are connected to is directly connected to the home network.

2. Not port forwarding on any computer. I'm port forwarding on the netopia router.

3. its a dynamic ip and changes every time i restart the netopia router.

4. Yes. Works perfectly. Just cant view it from over the net from another location - eg using the neighbours internet connection.

From points 3 & 4. I think your problem is you need a static address, I ran into the same problem setting up a server done everything correct could view the server inside the network, but could not connect outside the network.

Oh, on the port forwarding I ment which location! But I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Static would be good but generally costs money. Cheaper/Free option would be to use dyndns or no-ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Can you change the port on the DVR. If possible to change I would try some port other than 80 as this may be causing some problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

Couldn't get back to reply - something happened to my password. Had to re-register.

Anyway I got it working.
    After the individual port forwarding which I had already done I had to change the gateway and dns addresses on the DVR device to match that of the netopia router - eg n.n.n.254.

cheers for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

sfag31

Sorry I didnt see your original post, I could have helped you straight off... If you get caught again you can PM me and I will try and answer your questions. Glad you got sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Hello, have tried from scratch to try get this Adata zeus cctv dvr talking to an eircom 2247-62 router with a dynamic wan address so I can log in to check updates on dvr.

I followed a set of instructions and configured the DVR to update dyndns.com with it's current dynamic ip address....I think!!

At one point I was getting a log on box for what appeared to be the internal ip address of my router but I couldn't get past that. At that point I selected ip pass through for the dvr but then lost the prompt box. I reset that option back but never got the prompt back and seemingly access to the router or dvr.

After a week of trying what I could find on the net, I was hoping someone might find time to suggest something on here....anything..

I'm a hard core DIY type and always try to find a how too and apply it, which is what I have done here, but I am not getting anything that seems to work with my own level of understanding and interpretion (ignorance/lack of expert knowledge!).

If someone with knowledge of this set has time to spare you might help.

Am setting this up in da's house after attempted break in. He's still avoiding the grave at 86..ha ha. Very healthy man, tough.

If I can crack this, I will then move on too off site upload of motion detected events in case dvr compromised. I have dvr set so am getting only a few events that are relavent to immediate area of small house access points.

Will be quick to respond to any questions regarding set up.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

To be honest, I'd leave out the DynDNS part for the moment and make sure that everything works properly on the local LAN.

1. The DVR should have a static IP (outside the DHCP range of IP's managed by the Netopia router). The Netmask, default gateway, DNS should be the same as what the Netopis gives out to clients via DHCP.

2. Assuming this is the case then how do you login to the DVR while connected to the local LAN, i.e what IP address and what port (if not port 80) do you use?

Hello,

I'll relate this as best I can.

The DVR has it's own DHCP program which when selected configured the DVR with an address of 192.168.1.2 leaving the laptop at 192.168.1.1.
    The subnet and gateway are the same as router. The DVR HTTP port is 80 and TCP is at 37788.

I saw no field asking for DNS, but had slowly began to get some idea this was issuea and placed the routers Primary DNS (to try) in the Server IP field on the DDNS screen/page.

As for the LAN connection. I type in the DVR ip and get the web server up within the LAN. The LAN side of it worked from the getgo.

In the DVR web server there is a DDNS screen with several fields. First there is option of Dyndns DDNS or No IP-DDNS.

On the Dyndns screen you are asked for Server IP (never worked out just what it was asking for there)..Port, which is set at 80. Device Alias. User Name. Password. Alive Intervall(sec).

The No IP-DDNS screen asks for the same but the Alias becomes a request for Domain Name and the Port is changed to 37788

You told me the DVR needs an address outside the the DHCP - what would you suggest I put in there? The DHCP router end address is up to 200. I havn't read any post/article that this would be a connection issue but again I'm a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of it. I have a very basic understanding that incoming data was delivered through the routers external WAN IP, then filtered/processed and delivered to assigned internal IPs within the DHCP given range. I proceed in the darkness now...would appreciate any help offered.

As for my dumbnesses which I always am first to admit too, I usually have some vague idea, with this business I'm a tad lost. It's my first time to attempt at this and have tried to self educate but now appreciate it's complex area.

• Advertisement

Found that the Eircom 2247 netopia http port 80 had to be changed to allow the DVR web sever to use it. Easy to say, and I'd read about is as issue, but it was a long road to implement it and even longer to understand that it was the issue. Lot to be said for starting with near zero understanding of a system.

I discovered I had to use 'telnet' to configure the router but then discovered telnet was not to be found on my pc. It's gone alone with all the options from 'turn windows features on and off.'
    Being a tryer I found I could pull in a copy called Mocha Telnet and run it. I say thank you to all the tech wizards out there who write these amazing programs and keep the unwashed rich with tools for when 'Dvrs and Routers...Go Bad!' I tried to at first get the ip update client in the router to work for the Dyndns.com service to attach it to my hostname but had no luck with that. I continued to read about possible causes stoping the DVR webserver from being seen on the web via the dyndns.com service and found an Eircom page specific to this issue. I found instructions for using telnet to reconfigure the routers http 80 port to 8080 leaving the 80 port for the dvr. Aftrer restarting the dvr with the new settings and manually updating the dyndns hostname with the current wan ip of the router I got the sign in window for the dvr webserver and then checked it from a friends wan connection accross the city. It took a non-tech head a week to work it out but it's up and running. Now it's back to trying to work out how to get dynamic ip updates to be sent to dyndns.com. I'm still manually attaching it. feck..

Any help would be welcome.

thanks.

Now it's back to trying to work out how to get dynamic ip updates to be sent to dyndns.com. I'm still manually attaching it. feck..

The Eircom router won't be able to do the dynamic IP uddates for you anyway. If there are any computers on the network you can use a dynamic up update client on them which will update DynDNS whenever the Internet IP changes. If the DVR hs a dynamic IP update feature, then normally you'll have to tell it :

Dynamic DNS provider : e.g. DynDNS, ChangeIP etc.
    Hostname (e.g. smartbodydublin.dyndns.org)
    Username (your DynDNS username)
    Password (your DynDNS password)

To bhickey. My mams side of family is hickey and dads side is hill, who knows maybe you laughed at me struggling with basic math in school.

I do have option on DVR DNNS screen of Dyndns dnns or No-ip dnns.

Depending which one you select it asks for the IP Server.

It then asks for the hostname, user name and password. I filled them all in but was a bit lost as the IP server.

After reading a post saying to try the netopias address, I tried it's wan address, it's lan address and then Primary DNS server address in the router.

I may rebooted the dvr wrongly or missed something at some point which is stopping this from working or most likely I'm just wrong as I'm shooting in the dark. I read the manual and forumsa and with our good working knowledge of these protocols interrelate it's still a a man in the dark with a candle.

hope to hear back from mr bhickey. I stayed up 2 nights so far with this, am bit compulsive obessive, makes up for no being so bright..

pat.

ps..The netopia 2247-62 manual alledges that it has an update client for dyndns which as to be activated by telnet commands which I did repeatedly till it accepted/recognised the command lines and allowed them to be saved and then I rebooted the router but...it doesn't seem to work..so I went back to the try the DVR client. Sure it gives me something to do, I kindna need to keep distracted, good for the sanity. Anyone willing to bring me across finishing line.

What's the make/model of the DVR and do you have a link to the manual?

Meanwhile, for the IP server setting, try :

members.dyndns.org

or maybe :

www.dyndns.com

It's an Adata Zeus lite mark 2. From what I see it's same network user setup interface as most of it's product line by Adata. They are also sold as Apollo dvrs and Baracuda on Ebay. They mostly come with 3 year warranty. I will try post link to manual later from the Adata.co.uk site.

In the manual the ip server field is referred to as the DDNS ip server. (had that as DNNS, just corrected it today.)

Thanks for your suggestion. I had tried just the name of the site but not the members login addy, again I'm at sea with this business. I will try both this evening.

As for static naming of dvr. With router dhcp giving from 1 to 244 end address you said to go outside of that. I wasn't sure how to proceed so it's locked down in the future - would 260 end addy be ok?

Thanks again for your help pal. I wrote a longer version of this last night but forgot to safe it and lost it when I went to post it as boards.ie log program kicked me out for inactivity or being too slow a typist. I can type ok but the thinking part slows me down!! I was too jaded to think at all at that point so am just back in now.

As for static naming of dvr. With router dhpc giving from 1 to 244 end address you said to go outside of that. I wasn't sure how to proceed so it's locked down in the future - would 260 end addy be ok?

No, the highest you can go is .254 and with an Eircom Netopia router that IP is reserved for the router itself. .245 should be fine. Are you sure though that the router is giving from .1 to .244? That sounds like a lot, normally routers would reserve a range of say 50-100 IP's for DHCP.

I rechecked the dhcp, it's as you said, 1 to 200. I got confused thinking that if the router was 254 that that was the end. I didn't have access to check when I replied last time.

I'll set the dvr to 245.

The Adata zeus manual is at this address.. http://www.adata.co.uk/support/documents/ZeusMK2DVRUsersManualV2.6060912_000.pdf

Am swapping out a gravity/attic tank for old dad. He installed full rad,boiler, piping system himself 27 years ago, was excellent at all trades, a carpenter himself. Is 85, sharp but as forgetful as me these days. I envy him his mind when he was my age. As a top full carpenter -he was also great plumber, taking jobs plumbers would dodge working on old led pipes, mechanic-full engine strips, electrical wiring to regs up to circa 1980 about.

I owe him a lot as a model, so will be focused on that tonight. e400 quoted by plumber, couldn't afford it, got parts for e120 myself. Will struggle with that for a change of pace. Am close to cracking this update issue and appreciate your continued input. It may save me a sleepless night! ta

onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk, the wholesaler I bought from, told me to focus on configuring update client in router but did also give me the ip's of dyndns.org/com for my Adata dvr ddns client update page 'IP Server' field, which I had asked them to assist me on. Having a solid line to follow I rechecked and redone the Telnet commands to the Eircom router and it is now updating the static Domain provided by dyndns.org/com with my dynamic address.

As usual, it would have been easy if you knew what you were doing, or fairly doable if you had a solid line to follow. I should have asked the seller to start with as they proved to be quick and helpful with their replies to my specific questions. Credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 southcentral lk

Hi,

I have a DVR setup static IP 192.168.1.99 on a Eircom Netopia router.
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254
    DNS 83.90.73.244 which is primary dns for eircom.
    No option for secondary DNS.

Using port 6540 TCP forwarded on the router to the DVR IP 192.168.1.99,
    Also have port 9000 UDP forwarded to the DVR IP.

Static NAT configured to 192.168.1.99.

Dnydns is also configured on the DVR, xxx.dyndns-server.com, username and password.

I can access the DVR web interface from inside the LAN, can not access externally. I can't access the xxx.dyndns-server.com internal or externally. I can ping xxx.dyndns-server.com internally not externally.

The router is getting a dynamic public IP, I can't access the IP internally or externally, I can ping in within the LAN only.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance:(

Advertisement