Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cross for AngusXLM

• 19-01-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I have a few Angus X Lim cows....
    Thinking of crossing them again with Simm to get some good breeding stock..... what are your thoughts ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

a BB..no? hav gd calves!
    suppose simmental would give u replacement stock--nice ones at that... markings,etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

wiggy123 wrote: »
    a BB..no? hav gd calves!
    suppose simmental would give u replacement stock--nice ones at that... markings,etc..

Have been giventhem BB the last few years, but there not ideal replacement breeding stock... too muscley, not enough milk, not big enough frame........

ah rite!
    so u want milk heifers(replacements)
    slaer mayb! or use shorthorn..get a nice heifer-marked!

ah rite!
    so u want milk heifers(replacements)
    slaer mayb! or use shorthorn..get a nice heifer-marked!

Saler i guess is an option.... shorthorn is like a lottery in my book, a bull calf is the short straw

true..get mayb sexed semen--can get for beef bulls now! certain bulls

charloais bull no? get gd heifers-conformation for char + milkiness from the dams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are you using AI - if so go with Limousin again.
    Select bulls that have good milk and maternal calving ability.
    You could go with simmental but these will be slightly harder calving.

Bulls such as FL21 and SIX. They'll produce heifers/cows that will calve easily. You could cross these back to simmental then. It will keep the milk and you'll get a boost from the cross-breeding also.
    That's what I'm trying to do anyway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dont think the sexed semen worked out the way it should pg have withdrawn their advertising campaign for the time being as the results wheren't what they should have been:rolleyes:

pakalasa wrote: »
    Are you using AI - if so go with Limousin again.
    Select bulls that have good milk and maternal calving ability.
    You could go with simmental but these will be slightly harder calving.

Bulls such as FL21 and SIX. They'll produce heifers/cows that will calve easily. You could cross these back to simmental then. It will keep the milk and you'll get a boost from the cross-breeding also.
    That's what I'm trying to do anyway.;)

trying to stay away from the lim cross again as the cows are very tempermental as is..... have crossed with char already and offspring dont seem to be bringing milk

did they..it was messing with science to much anyway!leave it to nature!

what about a romagolia,bull? or the aubrac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 8560

i would put a good AA bull on them. did you know that the bull with best growth figures at tully test station last year was a AA bull from Jerry Henchy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i could sell you a good angus bull:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

adne wrote: »
    I have a few Angus X Lim cows....
    Thinking of crossing them again with Simm to get some good breeding stock..... what are your thoughts ???
    when you have your good breeding stock what will you be putting on them, what market or customer will you be selling to, i think this question has to be answered first before i would cosider the dams final breed.

true an angus would do u good...depending on size of cows..they big!
    would hav mentioned that breed earlier--didn't want to be biased,as i breed aberdeen angus's..lol

true an angus would do u good...depending on size of cows..they big!
    would hav mentioned that breed earlier--didn't want to be biased,as i breed aberdeen angus's..lol
    have you any incalf heifers for sale wiggy

don't actually have at the mo...i have 2 ai bred heifers ready for the bull come spring time! are only Oct 08 ladies...
    I only hav a small herd,of 21 animals(all sorts)

mayb whelan1 has some for sale

was that friarstown bull 8560?? think hes with PG...get some straws later in spring of him for me cows...
    have 9 ladies startin to calf,mid next month!

not sure who has him now. he was sold to a ai station all right. best of luck with the calving. i fancy a handfull of good angus myself

cheers..says its him...or could be something dan carter..think he gained over 2kg a day liveweigh,a record for angus!do keep in touch..could have angus stock for sale later in the year/spring!where abouts are ya

Advertisement