Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance Quotes

• 19-01-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if i'm in the right forum here.

I'm gonna be getting a first car soon enough (learner driver) i was wondering are there any insurance sites out there where you can get insurance quotes without knowing the vehicle registration number? I don't know what kind of car i'll be getting yet, so i don't know the number and it seems it's needed on all the sites i've been to. I'm just trying to look for ballpark figures so i don't get something that will cost a fortune to insure if you get my meaning...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

make 1 up, then change it to correct one once you get a quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

None of them will ask for a reg number before you're actually buying the insurance. They'll all quote without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Will that work yeah? i thought there might have been some sort of check on it or something on the fly...

Ok, cheers for the responses. Are there any good comparison sites in Ireland? failing that, what are good sites to be buying from for a new driver (31 years old)

try 123.ie, there's a few more online if you search. Have notional car details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Just shop around.I ended up with quinn direct.

When I first got insurance for a car I was a similar age to yourself(been on motorbikes since I was a joung lad)I got a lady friend with a full licence as a named driver and it knocked a good bit off.Still think the bastards ripped me off.

And buy a sensible car not something that would overtake a f-16!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

nightster1 wrote: »
    make 1 up, then change it to correct one once you get a quote

Generally I agree for quotes stage just make it up.

Was getting quotes recently and 1 site did ask for reg details - it used them to system make model etc.

Actually whilst it prevents just surfing for quotes before deciding which model to buy it does save a lot of confusion and a little time when you have the drop with 40 versions of the same car!

Looking at the FAQs on the 123.ie site i saw this
    Will you quote me if I have:

A Provisional licence?
    Yes, provided you have a minimum 1 year No Claim Bonus earned in your name within the last 2 years or a minimum of 1 year Named Driving Experience gained in the last 30 days

No driving experience or Named Driving Experience?
    Yes, but you must be at least 30 years of age.

I'm not gonna be able to get insured there on the provisional licence proviso, are other places the same? pretty confused!

Try www.brittoninsurance.com

Britton always been competetive for me, including when wife was on 1st provisional and will have a wider range of partners to place you with - including the Lloyds Insurers - these tend to be more 'flexible' in their underwriting approach.

I think 123.ie are tied to Travellers Insurance or at least have much of their business with them you need to go through multi agency brokers - hit the Golden Pages - it is probable the mainstream insurers and on line brokers cannot best service your need.

Best of luck and keep Quinn as the last option:eek:

thebiglad wrote: »
    Try www.brittoninsurance.com

Britton always been competetive for me, including when wife was on 1st provisional and will have a wider range of partners to place you with - including the Lloyds Insurers - these tend to be more 'flexible' in their underwriting approach.

I think 123.ie are tied to Travellers Insurance or at least have much of their business with them you need to go through multi agency brokers - hit the Golden Pages - it is probable the mainstream insurers and on line brokers cannot best service your need.

Best of luck and keep Quinn as the last option:eek:

Cheers Biglad, i'll give Quinn a try anyway. I'd say i've got a lot of trawling to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Briton aren't bad, but I found when it came to renewal time they did me no favours.

got an excellent quote via AA this month. Only downside is that roadside obviously isn't covered, or it would negate the need for AA. The upside is, that they will insure my partner although he is only on first Irish prov licence and here only 1 yr (most companies won't insure in these circumstances or if they do charge through the teeth!).

Quinn I would be careful of - double check your policy, esp for young drivers. Generally the reason they insure when others don't or why they are sometimes cheaper is to do with the quality of the policy, excess etc. A friend works there and HE was the one who recommended I go elsewhere - in his words 'our policies are generally shi!t and if you have an accident, best of luck with getting us to help you!'. Coming from the horses mouth that put me off pretty seriously!

Briton aren't bad, but I found when it came to renewal time they did me no favours.

AA are another good example of multi company broker.

Briefly off topic

I agree with that but I phoned them at renewal and got them to price match the best quote I had achieved - only did so to keep the breakdown (the quote they matched didn't include it) - always worth a try;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors - better advice there.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I'm with 123.ie - http://www.123.ie/ - for one year now, and while I was drawn to them originally because they quoted me €290.00 last year, my policy is due for renewal on 22nd Jan 2010 and my new policy is €345.91.
    I have no claims bonus of 10+ years, no comvictions, a full clean EU licence. I rang them to ask about the increase and they told me it went up for everyone this year.
    Am I wrong, I always thought your premium went down each year, not up?:rolleyes:
    Or should I just put it down to inflation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cardol wrote: »
    I'm with 123.ie - http://www.123.ie/ - for one year now, and while I was drawn to them originally because they quoted me €290.00 last year, my policy is due for renewal on 22nd Jan 2010 and my new policy is €345.91.
    I have no claims bonus of 10+ years, no comvictions, a full clean EU licence. I rang them to ask about the increase and they told me it went up for everyone this year.
    Am I wrong, I always thought your premium went down each year, not up?:rolleyes:
    Or should I just put it down to inflation?
    Shop around.

Yeah, I did shop around, and 123.ie was still the best deal, I just wondered if they can increase their premiums, that's all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My boss said her Insurance Quote went up and she was told the same thing , that everyones insurance went up but my insurance went down. Not by much but at least it didnt increase

Karen23 wrote: »
    My boss said hers went up and she was told the same thing , that everyones went up but mine went down. Not by much but at least it didnt increase

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

ha Ha , I might edit that actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cardol wrote: »
    Yeah, I did shop around, and 123.ie was still the best deal, I just wondered if they can increase their premiums, that's all:)
    They can charge whatever they want.;)

Insurance tends to go down for the first few years, as you build your NCB. After that, though, there's no real telling. Shop around every year, at least that way you know you're getting the best price for the current market.

• Advertisement

I try around every year no matter what. I always get the premium down it's worth the effort, even try different brokers.

Insurers use a combination of Actuarial modelling and profit desire factor/market growth.

It is quite possible 1 year they are pushing for volume and are discounting their premium, hey presto lots of new customers, then at 1st renewal the campaign is over and Insurers rates based on their actuarial models apply - could result in hefty increases, some policyholders will just pay up.

The secret is to find the insurer who is trying to expand their book of business each year and, be in their target market.

Plenty of insurers out there and generally there is one who is trying to make a grab for market share - this is why it is important to shop around.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Insurers use a combination of Actuarial modelling and profit desire factor/market growth.

It is quite possible 1 year they are pushing for volume and are discounting their premium, hey presto lots of new customers, then at 1st renewal the campaign is over and Insurers rates based on their actuarial models apply - could result in hefty increases, some policyholders will just pay up.

The secret is to find the insurer who is trying to expand their book of business each year and, be in their target market.

Plenty of insurers out there and generally there is one who is trying to make a grab for market share - this is why it is important to shop around.
    sounds logical, an annual shop around seems to be the way to go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 jondon

my dad signed up with 123 last year got great deal his policy went up big time this year i have policy too and also went up alot , think they give out great rates the first year to get you in with them , am only started looking around again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

A handy tip when getting insurance is to tell them that you are getting a better deal with another company when they give you a quote for a premium. I know from experience that some insurance companies will move on it slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hi, we would be happy to give you a quote but you would need basic information on the car such as engine size, make and model etc...We could run a few different scenarios for a few different models and this would give you a ballpark figure, just give us a call. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hi, Insurance premiums have increasaed slightly. This is due to the fact that more people are claiming in the past year for relatively small amounts where previously they would not have claimed. Again it's down to the big R!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Here's what I just did for my policy. Checked all the sites e.g. 123.ie, insure.ie, aviva.ie, bestquote.ie, quoteme.ie etc etc just google "car insurance ireland" and check them all.

Once you have the best quote, ring them all and try and get them to beat it. I got quoted everything from 1.8k to 7.4k online (23 year old with a 320d) but when I rang Hibernian I got it for 1200 once I told them I had a better price elsewhere.

It might take a day of calling and browsing but it could save you quite a few schillings.

Advertisement