Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre or post 2008 cars.....road tax dilemma

• 19-01-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I'm considering spending around €15-16k on a new car. Was looking at 2005/06 320s series or an diesel A4s.

Just wondering would it be better to spend a bit more to go for a 2008 model with cheaper road tax, plus the car is worth a bit more in 3/4 years or buy the 05/06 version but then be stuck with a car in the high bracket which would be a lot harder to shift on......... :confused:

Is there any chance the gov will move to a totally emissions based car tax scheme in the future for cars of all years ?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

caomhino wrote: »
    Is there any chance the gov will move to a totally emissions based car tax scheme in the future for cars of all years ?
    I'd really doubt it. A lot of people will have made choices based on the current system and if it was reworked it would really annoy a lot of people. My car which I bought recently is €531 on the old system but would be €2.5k on the emissions based. That's an extreme example, but there would be others similarly affected. Also people who, like you are considering, stretched the extra bit to get a car on the new system would find the values of their cars dropping significantly.

It's not unknown for the government to screw over motorists, but this is an issue that will go away on it's own after a few years as older cars drop out of use and only a small number of enthusiasts will have cars on the old system, so I don't think they'd bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cheers

....frankly, not a hope in hell. And existing emissions tax is going to go up anyway........

Big difference on tax on petrol and diesel post 08, though, so you need to decide that, first.......lets says 2.0 diesel....

I understand the dilemma - it depends on how long you plan to keep the car, tbh...........if you keep it a real long time, say 5 years, than a pre-08 car will be worth, effectively, zero in 5 yrs time. Call it 2k.

Now, a post 08 car will cost more to buy, but less to tax. All you have to do is the sum of:

A pre 08 car, over 5 years, will cost you (using your numbers, didn't look them up...) 13k depreciation + 3070 tax = 16070.

A post 08, over 5 years, will cost you say, (imho, mind..) 10k depreciation + 780 tax = 10780.

That's a 6k difference. That's shocking.

If I'm over-estimating post-08 depreciation, the difference is even bigger. If under-estimating, it'll be smaller, but not by much.

For this reason, (and I include myself), owners of pre-08, clean cars, are completely and utterly...............fugged.

The only way it can balance, is if the pre-08 now is dog-cheap to buy, so that when you add the 5 yrs tax, that it compensates. In other words, pre-08 diesel owners will have to take a big hit, now.

If it's 2.0 petrol though, the numbers are completely different.

Interested to know what others 'in the know' think........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You've described my dilemma perfectly there galwaytt.

As an owner of a 06 2L TDI Passat (which is in great condition I might add as I look after my cars), when it comes time to change I'm going to get (even more) screwed as a result of these tax changes.

As with most things "green", it's only a thinly veiled revenue exercise, but it's one that punishes a car owner who doesn't feel the need to upgrade every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Just wondering would it be better to spend a bit more to go for a 2008 model with cheaper road tax, plus the car is worth a bit more in 3/4 years or buy the 05/06 version but then be stuck with a car in the high bracket which would be a lot harder to shift on......... :confused:
    Depreciation - the more you spend, the more you lose.

You will get the '05/'06 a lot cheaper now because it's in the high bracket - and you'll sell it proportionately cheaper in 3/4 years.

Will the difference in road tax over 3/4 years cover the extra cost of the '08 car?

Not a chance.
    None - the last thing they want to do is encourage people to keep older cars, regardless of efficiency. That would be taking money out of their shareholders' pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

cheers for the feedback guys. Yeah, say for instance a 2005 320D against a 2008, you'd save €2290 in road tax, 2008 320D are about €25-28k on carzone today and a 2005 one are fetching about €15000 at the moment - €10k difference !

cheers,

• Advertisement
Advertisement