Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resumption of work at site beside castle in Oranmore

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I notice that work has resumed at the site near the castle in Oranmore. Anyone know what they are building there and when it's due to open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Its a new 'village centre' the whole area is being redeveloped with housing, shops (including Tesco I believe) and a central village square. There is also plans for a boardwalk/promenade around the outside, a civic building etc.
    Not sure what the time scale is on this but am pretty sure it will be done in stages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Co. Galway forum is that way ---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

muchos04 wrote: »

I notice that work has resumed at the site near the castle in Oranmore. Anyone know what they are building there and when it's due to open?

Loud noises.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ah Oranmore is all but a suburb of the city now. Athenry will be soon now that the motorway passes close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

snubbleste wrote: »

True but its bloody close to the city and its no longer the little village were the only place to get the papers on a Sunday was MacDonaghs and the hasty tasty was the only place to get chips :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know snubbleste but sure Oran is just a suburb now, no offence meant Oranians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kayos wrote: »
    True but its bloody close to the city and its no longer the little village were the only place to get the papers on a Sunday was MacDonaghs and the hasty tasty was the only place to get chips :)

And of course Oranmore people, uniquely in the county, share their ****e with Galway people.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It's a Tesco for starters, more plans in the pipeline. I don't think that there is much scope for other shops in Oranmore. The development (not sure of the name) that was recently finished in the middle of town is lying completely idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

it just strikes me as rather ironic that they choose to put a supermarket in front of one of the nicest views of Galway Bay which is recognised worldwide. Nice work lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Magnus wrote: »
    I know snubbleste but sure Oran is just a suburb now, no offence meant Oranians.

No offence taken, then again i'm only a blow in to oranmore.
    Or blow out if you want to look at it another way:D. My wife is from Oranmore, I grew up in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

muchos "it just strikes me as rather ironic that they choose to put a supermarket in front of one of the nicest views of Galway Bay which is recognised worldwide. Nice work lads!"

A supermarket and a police station. It is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ronan26

The planning on the site is running out, hence the urgency to get the ball rolling. A new application has gone into the council to extend the planning for another couple of years hence the hive of activity the last while (must have substantial works done in order to get an extension).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

+1 on Oranmore = County
    => cheaper House and Car Insurance living in the County so long may it stay outside the City for Financial reasons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Tesco is supposed to be open in November this year. From the builders mouth

muchos04 wrote: »
    it just strikes me as rather ironic that they choose to put a supermarket in front of one of the nicest views of Galway Bay which is recognised worldwide. Nice work lads!

Whilst agreeing with you the fact that on the face of it a supermarket in that location is not a good idea, the fact that they plan on putting in a 'promenade around the outer edge of the development will give more people an opportunity to see the view and actually make Oranmore more connected with the bay than it is at present.
    Apart from the view from the bridge which for most people see in a flash as they drive past in their cars then you would never know you were near the bay in Oranmore itself

It will be quite interesting to see how the 'Promenade' takes shape as I remember this area to be a natural flood plain! But i guess time will tell. As for traffic congestion, i don't even want to think!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Webbs wrote: »
    Whilst agreeing with you the fact that on the face of it a supermarket in that location is not a good idea, the fact that they plan on putting in a 'promenade around the outer edge of the development will give more people an opportunity to see the view and actually make Oranmore more connected with the bay than it is at present.
    Apart from the view from the bridge which for most people see in a flash as they drive past in their cars then you would never know you were near the bay in Oranmore itself

So people will get the opportunity to see the nice view whilst shopping. Great. Now that theirs a Tescos at the end of the Castle(!) road it it is worth my effort to drive the 30 meters to the end.
    :|

cL0h wrote: »
    So people will get the opportunity to see the nice view whilst shopping. Great. Now that theirs a Tescos at the end of the Castle(!) road it it is worth my effort to drive the 30 meters to the end.
    :|

Its not just a Tesco that is going in there, it is planned that it is to be a new village centre for Oranmore, I have no idea if it will work or not but it will hopefully make the Bay more accessible to the people of Oranmore and those who visit (whether thats for shopping or not).
    How many people at present go down Castle Road to look at the view? You cant see the view from anywhere in the village apart from the bridge so for me then having more of a connection to the Bay is a good thing. (though I reserve the right to remove this post if the development overall is a horrible modern monstrosity :D )
    Oh and as far as traffic goes the plan so I understand is that a one way system will be put in place. Not sure how that will work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

What was really amazing about the time they were waiting to re-start the project was the dangerous state they left the mountain of topsoil and stone RIGHT NEXT to the Calasanctius rugby pitch. Some of the topsoil even knocked down part of the hoarding:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Noticed an interesting press release on this construction firm's website:
    Tesco to anchor new Shopping Centre.

January 5th 2010 Pairc an Clochar Oranmore to open later this year. Cordil have been selected by White Cedar Developments to construct the shell & core of their new Shopping Centre in the heart of Oranmore, County Galway.
    The first phase of this project, costing in the region of €18M, includes the provision of an 18,000 sq.m Car-Park under Retail space which includes the shell for a forthcoming Tesco store.
    Future phases planned by White Cedar Developments will comprise further retail, creche, bar, restaurant, office and residential elements.
    Securing this project under intense competition is further evidence of Cordil's growing reputation as one of the most progressive Main Contractors throughout Ireland.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many of the old houses on the main street they will be knocking? It will be a shame to see some of the old houses of Oranmore reduced to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

well we are getting fed up over here on the monivea road with all the trucks coming over here from the said place. they are bringing the stones and huge bolders to the quarry in cashla. 3-4 trucks at a time passes . no woner the pot holes are getting bigger. the council are putting tar and stone into them but when the trucks thunder through it the holes are there again.. :mad::mad:

well that's development for ya (in the eyes of some!)

Advertisement