Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unbalanced canter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Definitely sounds like you're better off away from that yard. The cheek of the YO to make you get out and walk on the busy road. I mean, seriously....

That's great that you've found 2 potential problems/solutions to your mare's behaviour, and both of which on their own could cause discomfort to your mare. Hopefully with both of them sorted out your mare will be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

Thanks Convert,

Yeah I know, luckily my boyfriend was with me, he helped stop the traffic until we crossed the roads safely, and helped me keep my cool, as I was LIVID with her, so angry that some people just think they can do what they like to other people! :mad:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed now, her back is the last thing we are checking, so I'm hoping there's nothing too serious wrong with her, and we can continue with her schooling!

Will keep you posted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Go me! Sorry, not happy by any means that your mare has wolf teeth obviously, but good to know I can still pick up some of the tells... I'd say the reason they probably impacted more in canter is due to her being more imbalanced than in trot, falling on to her forehand a bit, and thus probably pushing the bit against them.

And the good news is that once those wolf teeth are out you should see a change in her very quickly. They don't really have much in the way of roots so heal up very quickly. My cousin's horse had one on his right I think and was a different animal once he got it sorted. So hopefully, you will be making progress again soon (you may just have to work through some trust issues initially - she may anticipate the pain for a while even though it's actually gone). I'd actually go as far as to say it's probably one of the easiest potential causes to deal with.

Cannot believe that YO....!!! Seriously... That woman shouldn't be anywhere near horses (especially considering she told you there was no point in getting her teeth checked).

Fingers crossed all will be good soon, keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

Thanks Shanagarry,

100% agree with you, she isn't doing her job properly, and in time I reckon she'll lose everyone in the yard, she treats everyone the same, upsetting people, not caring about their horses, just being an oddball in general...ugh it just makes me so mad!! I'm glad now I'm out of her yard anyway, and in somewhere better. First thing my new YO did was check her saddle for me, and arrange the dentist! :D

I'm glad it was just her wolf teeth aswell (well spotted by the way ;))

Oh and here's another *FUNNY story*.. Before moving my mare (she hadnt been out in 3 days due to my old YO keeping her in because of her "boldness") I let her out in the arena just to let off some steam..she hurt herself off the fence, grazed her leg, nothing major but still a bit of blood..GET THIS.. I told my YO and she said "hows the fence, did she break the fence?" and then said (without even having a look at her) "ah sure she'll be grand" even though I wanted her to wait while I washed her leg, she wouldn't wait!!!!!:eek:

Got to the new yard anyway, said it to the new YO and she agreed with me, wash it down, and put some purple spray on to stop infection, just to be sure.

Advertisement