Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Nursing Question.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi im applying for nursing as a mature student. I have read that An Bord Atlantis deal with the application mainly and you have to submit the personal statement to them and not the CAO....
    Does this mean that you would leave the..

"Explain the relevance of your life / educational experience to your
    application and state your educational goals and objectives"

section blank?, or would you fill it in briefly or what as its quite short?

Just a bit confused with this right now and if anyone had any help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jkjk123

hey I'm also a mature student and currently filling out the CAO! I also need to complete a separate application for my choice of college.

I reckon just use more-or-less the same statement for both applications. That's what I'm doing.
    I'd imagine the college will refer to their own application form over the CAO one.
    Anyway I'm using the same statement....double the waffle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Hi acostelloe1,

I have applied for mature nursing also this year. The application for mature nursing is different to applying for other degrees. The application is submitted to the CAO, but an application is not made to any colleges. The CAO contact the NCC who will send out information to each candidate in March informing them where and when they are to sit the aptitude test. Other CAO applications for example an Arts degree would be dealt with by an individual college based on personal/life experiences goals etc.

The apptitude test is April 10th

Hope this is some help, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

jewell wrote: »
    Hi acostelloe1,

I have applied for mature nursing also this year. The application for mature nursing is different to applying for other degrees. The application is submitted to the CAO, but an application is not made to any colleges. The CAO contact the NCC who will send out information to each candidate in March informing them where and when they are to sit the aptitude test. Other CAO applications for example an Arts degree would be dealt with by an individual college based on personal/life experiences goals etc.

The apptitude test is April 10th

Hope this is some help, and good luck.

Thank you, I've looked everywhere for a date, be it a definite date or just a general idea. have you done the test? any tips for work exp. I don't have work exp, however its mental health nursing i've applied for and i do have a lot of life experience in that area, do you think I could write about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Hi again Smiler,

the aptitude test is def on April 10th. Your address on CAO application will decide where your sit aptitude test. They are held in Cork, Dublin, Galway and Maybe one other place but Im not sure. I applied in 2005 and scored 167 in aptitude test but general was 168 that year so just missed it and decided it wasn't meant to be....but the calling:) never went away and now is def a better time for me, my kids are older but so am I...lol... At the interview stage you will be able to put down all your experience on the interview questioneer and any relevent caring experience you will be able to use. Hope this is some help.

Jewell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Rgoldie

hi i know im butting a bit here but i need a straight answer.
    Do i need to fill out the personal statement on the back page of the CAO form when im am applying for Psychiatric Nursing as a Mature Student....i so confused cant find this straight answer anywhere ...please help:confused: and thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm guessing you are applying using the paper format and not the online application?

If so, refer to page 12 of the handbook.

If it was me applying I would slot my personal statement in the further details page on the back, using additional pages if needed. Also, do not forget to write what category you are (F for Mature Student) and also put your name and CAO on each page submitted. I'd also do up a CV as it will cover your dates in school/plc course/other colleges, work experience, hobbies etc. that are required as per page 12 of CAO handbook.

Advertisement