Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new phone; Best value data plan?

• 19-01-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting a DROID/MILESTONE for a while now. Pay day is looming and I was wondering what you all think is the best value data plan?

I'll be in and out of the UK as well so I was wondering do any of you have experience roaming with your Irish mobiles and using 3G in the UK. I've heard rumors that O2 are pretty good in this regard, but nothing solid.

Basically I've been PAYG since my first mobile, so I'm looking for advice on the best pay monthly plan with whatever network for calls, texts and data.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Three is the best when it comes to data plans - you can even use your units in the UK like here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Three is the best when it comes to data plans - you can even use your units in the UK like here.
    I just signed up to Meteor Bill Pay Lite 10 today, in the shop for 10 minutes. No phone or SIM swaps needed, only get a SIM with this.

Includes...

50 minutes to any network
    50 texts to any network
    Free texts to Meteor
    Free voicemail calls

Outside Bundle...

10c / minute calls to Meteor
    30c / minute calls to all other networks
    10c texts to all networks in Ireland

Got this with the Unlimited Data plan which is €15, total per month = €25 (10GB Fair Usage Policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

I didn't know that. Sounds pretty promising.

I couldn't find proper information on three.ie about the data included in their price plans.
    All I found was: Mobile Surfing – just €9.99 per month, which was for 1GB/month.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    I just signed up to Meteor Bill Pay Lite 10 today, in the shop for 10 minutes. No phone or SIM swaps needed, only get a SIM with this.

Includes...

Got this with the Unlimited Data plan which is €15, total per month = €25 (10GB Fair Usage Policy).

Value-wise that sounds pretty good, but I have heard that their 3G coverage isn't all that good yet. Any opinion on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Value-wise that sounds pretty good, but I have heard that their 3G coverage isn't all that good yet. Any opinion on this?
    It's very good in Dublin and main areas of Meath. I constantly have full coverage. Where do you live?

• Advertisement

cpu-dude wrote: »
    It's very good in Dublin and main areas of Meath. I constantly have full coverage. Where do you live?

I live in Dublin, but I reckon I'd use it quite a bit around the place. I know my way around Dublin, so I'd use the GPS/Maps outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

10GB on Three is €20

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/paymonthly_addons.htm

Like I say - if you visit the UK regularly then their plans are the best for text / voice and data.

Yeah, looking at three there it seems pretty nice. I didn't realise they let you use your units on 3 networks in other countries.

But yes, I reckon I'll be in the UK at least once a month, if not twice, frequently enough that roaming charges will get on my nerves.

Anyone know how 3's coverage is about the place (Ireland), apart from Dublin which I'm sure is well covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Yeah, looking at three there it seems pretty nice. I didn't realise they let you use your units on 3 networks in other countries.

You can't, except in the UK, Austria, Sweden, Italy, Denmark, Hong Kong and Australia. And even in those countries only when you pick up 3's network.
    But yes, I reckon I'll be in the UK at least once a month, if not twice,
    frequently enough that roaming charges will get on my nerves.

Consider Vodafone and their Mobile Internet Add-on (aka Vodafone Live! aka live.vodafone.com). 10€ per month on top of whatever plan you have and you can use this anywhere in the world on any operator Vodafone has data roaming with (which is many of them).

Advertisement