Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think shes Pregnant

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys boxer dog owner shes 2 years 8 months. I think she may be pregnant.

Bigger nipples
    harder chest and wider body

ive heard of the phantom pregnancy

I suppose the answer is bring her to the vets

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You've really answered your own question there.
    If she's un neutered and has been anywhere near in tact males around the time of being in heat, it's a complete possibility.

But only your vet can answer that, people here could only guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

have appointment booked for half 2. oh god

im like a dissapointed daddy lol

Good stuff, at least you'll know one way or the other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long was it since she was in heat? Was she near any other dogs when she was in season?
    If so i would take her to the vets to get her checked out as if she is in pup and close to her due date she will need extra food and so on and you need to prepare your house for the arrival of pups.

Was it another boxer she would have been near or a different breed?

Edited to say i see you have appt already, i was typing my reply at same time :-)

she was bleeding about the 5th of dec.

Was around a staff on crimbo day we were watching them all the time but i know once they were left alone for 10 mins thanks to my bro this is what has me worried. god ill be giving this doggy a stern talking to if she is.

• Advertisement

If she was in season on the 5th dec then she should have been finished her heat by Christmas day so it is possibly just a phantom she is having. They are usually ready to be mated on their second week of their heat so this date would be well after this.

ye thats what I was thinking andrea. but she has gotten bigger. do all the same symtoms persist when it comes to phantom and normal

Rojomcdojo a helpful post next time please
    Just a warning - no sarcasm or so forth please. The OP knows it's not the dogs fault and was just making a joke.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    ye thats what I was thinking andrea. but she has gotten bigger. do all the same symtoms persist when it comes to phantom and normal

Yeah they can for def, they can even produce milk too. They do behave and look like they are pregnant so the vet will fill you in on what to do if this is the case.

What i would advise is to get her neutered if you dont plan on breeding her, as if they have one phantom chances are they will keep having them and they can end up getting womb infections etc and something called Pyometra which is very serious and possibly fatal, so nuetering would stop all this and prevent any of those infections from arising.

Oh i thought it was to late to get her neutered? thanks for all the info

• Advertisement

Its never too late to get your dog neutered, can be done at any age:)

update. Dog is having a phantom preg but the vet discovered a heart murmor. Getting her neutered in march. (sad face)

Poor girl - but heart mumurs are usually treatable/can be helped with some medications.
    Our old lhasa (bless her) had a heart murmur in her last few years and we just used to give her tabs for it.
    Obviously - your vet will discuss what/if anything needs to be done - as this may be a gentle murmur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I know a 9 year old lab x with a heart murmur - I was walking her for her owner all November and she's in great shape - as lively and fit as a puppy! Can run rings around my lad even.

Hope that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

lucky escape there then - I see your getting her neutered, don't worry about the age, we had our lab/collie neutered at 10 years and she was fine

Ye the vet suggested I get her done instead of passing on the bad gene. Suppose it makes perfect sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

blahblah06 - best choice is definitely to get her neutered, it will prevent any other phantom pregnancies in the future thus preventing unwanted stress on both you and your dog. Never too late to get the snip ;)

With regards to the heart murmur - one of mine has one and manages fine with it. It was a ball game with medications to find what suited her best initially but once we got over that hurdle she has been flying, you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with her. One thing I will say is please try to keep your own dogs weight down, bitches are more inclined to put on weight after being neutered than the boys so try to keep a close eye on it because it will be best for her in the long run. With a heart murmur it can put extra strain on their heart is they are on the heavy side.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Ye the vet suggested I get her done instead of passing on the bad gene. Suppose it makes perfect sense really.

Well done for making the responsible choice here, if only their were more who would take such a sensible approach!!! Best of luck :)

Advertisement