Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Wine for 6 / 7 Months

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Circumstances dictate that I may need to buy a (relatively) large quantity of wine (probably about 120 bottles) in the next couple of weeks for use in early August. They will be in the standard supermarket cardboard boxes and will most likely be screw caps (i.e. not corks). Is it OK to store these at room temperature and upright (not on their side) for 7 months at home? If it is OK for screw-caps, does this also apply for corked bottles (I'm guessing not).

Thanks,
    super_freddie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Corked bottles need to be stored on their side so as the cork remains wet and the seal is maintained otherwise it will dry up and shrink. Not a problem for screw-caps of course.

I doubt there's a problem storing a standard wine for 6/7 months unless indicated on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

True about screwcaps. Bottles can be kept upright. And yes, should be fine for 6/7 months, but preferably keep it slightly below room temperature - maybe in a room in the house that you rarely use and is a bit cooler. So many wines get cooked on supermarket shelves, and wine will deteriorate quicker if stored at a higher temperature. Storing wine in the kitchen, for example, is a big no no. Keep them in the boxes as well to keep out the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

MattKane wrote: »
    True about screwcaps. Bottles can be kept upright. And yes, should be fine for 6/7 months, but preferably keep it slightly below room temperature - maybe in a room in the house that you rarely use and is a bit cooler. So many wines get cooked on supermarket shelves, and wine will deteriorate quicker if stored at a higher temperature. Storing wine in the kitchen, for example, is a big no no. Keep them in the boxes as well to keep out the light.

Quite true, If you live in a house, under the stairs is a good place as it is the one part of the house that has a consistent temperature, and has no radiator. Wine should ideally be aged or cellared at a temperature of around 10 to 13 degree's.
    Depending on the wines, they will all hold OK, but if you plan to use new world whites, don't forget that by august new vintages will be on the market, fresher wines for styles like Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris etc will be available, and if you have to top up there could be some bottle variation.
    I wouldn't but so much in a supermarket, as a wine merchant/store will give you better discounts

Advertisement