Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell monitor SP2309W

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

If anyone else has this monitor can you please tell me how to turn up the volume coming through the monitor headphone jack, - it is ridiculously low!!! There is no volume setting on the monitor menu. With all settings on the pc turned up to the last, - all you get is an averagevolume for a quiet room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I could think of many reasons. But the glaring one is the fact that there is no speaker or device which can or should output sound in any way from that monitor. So do you have speakers or perhaps a sound bar(set of speakers just under it)?

Or is it the other option, that you are playing sound through the internal speaker of your pc and complaining that the monitor is not making enough sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

I could think of many reasons. But the glaring one is the fact that there is no speaker or device which can or should output sound in any way from that monitor. So do you have speakers or perhaps a sound bar(set of speakers just under it)?

Or is it the other option, that you are playing sound through the internal speaker of your pc and complaining that the monitor is not making enough sound?

This is my monitor -
    http://tinyurl.com/ybgdusb

I have headphones connected to itbut the volume is ridiculously low , - no matter what the input is (line in - pc, hdmi - xbox, etc).

Maybe this headphone jack is ONLY meant for a soundbar, but that just seems like too big of a design flaw to be true.

Also, an unrelated design flaw is that when you turn the monitor off, all the usb ports and head phone jacks stop working - why would you go out of your way to design it like that?!!!!! - It is quite annoying if you just want to TRY and listen to music, or if you are transferring large files and turn off the monitor by force of habit.

This is my monitor -
    http://tinyurl.com/ybgdusb

I have headphones connected to it but the volume is ridiculously low , - no matter what the input is (line in - pc, hdmi - xbox, etc).

Maybe this headphone jack is ONLY meant for a soundbar, but that just seems like too big of a design flaw to be true.

Its just a pass through, and its meant for the soundbar which would have its own pre-amp. There is no reason for you to use it with headphones(does the xbox have a headphone port?). What is the quality/volume like plugged directly into the sound card on your machine?
    Also, an unrelated design flaw is that when you turn the monitor off, all the usb ports and head phone jacks stop working - why would you go out of your way to design it like that?!!!!! - It is quite annoying if you just want to TRY and listen to music, or if you are transferring large files and turn off the monitor by force of habit.

Like any good piece of electrics it turns off when you turn it off. If you insist on using usb ports and turning off your monitor buy a separate self powered or non-powered usb hub or use the ports on your pc/laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

Its just a pass through, and its meant for the soundbar which would have its own pre-amp. There is no reason for you to use it with headphones(does the xbox have a headphone port?). What is the quality/volume like plugged directly into the sound card on your machine?

Like any good piece of electrics it turns off when you turn it off. If you insist on using usb ports and turning off your monitor buy a separate self powered or non-powered usb hub or use the ports on your pc/laptop.

Nothing wrong with my pc, - headphone ports are all fine, and I used to have a proper surround system connected to it -(it was class, but space is an issue now).

When I say that the usbs turn off when I turn off the monitor - I mean when I touch the capacitive power button - not when I plug the thing out! (there is no standby on the monitor - insane). And when you turn the monitor back on, - you get a load of messages for autorun, installing drivers, webcam, and music starts blaring from the soundbar. I wouldn't mind any as long as I could change settings, but there are feck all settings. (just brightness and colour, and ****ty settings to change the menu's for brightness and colour)

I got the dell soundbar - AX510PA and have been using it pretty much since the last post. The sound quality is awful, both from the speakers and the additional headphone ports it provides.

It is like listening to cassette quality sound again - I thought those days were in the past.....

It really is cassette quality, (but at least it is normal volume!!!) I don't think the problem is with the new soundbar, - I'm pretty sure the monitor is ruining the sound before it gets to the soundbar.
    I need a new connection adapter to bypass to monitor to isolate the problem, - will post back when I get it.

Sorry if I'm ranting and raving. It's a great monitor apart from the issues listed.

When I say that the usbs turn off when I turn off the monitor - I mean when I touch the capacitive power button - not when I plug the thing out! (there is no standby on the monitor - insane). And when you turn the monitor back on, - you get a load of messages for autorun, installing drivers, webcam, and music starts blaring from the soundbar. I wouldn't mind any as long as I could change settings, but there are feck all settings. (just brightness and colour, and ****ty settings to change the menu's for brightness and colour)

The power button(bottom right) is the standby button. It will cut power to all the electronics on the monitor(power bar as well is clever). This includes the powered usb hub on the monitor.

As for the sound quality issue, you sound like your more than capable of isolating the problem. My guess would be the ports are faulty on the monitor itself, if you still have a one year warranty I would ring Dell and get it replaced or repaired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement