Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Stoppage to cause flight disruption'

• 19-01-2010 2:10pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Flights at the State’s three main airports are likely to be severely disrupted tomorrow after air traffic controllers confirmed they would hold industrial action at Dublin, Shannon and Cork airports.

The move follows the Irish Aviation Authority’s decision to suspend 15 controllers from Dublin and Shannon airports in a dispute over the adoption of new work practices.

Trade union Impact, which represents the workers, announced today it would respond to the suspensions with immediate industrial action.

The union said its members planned to hold a work stoppage between 2pm and 6pm at Dublin and Shannon Airports tomorrow while controllers attend mandatory union meetings. A similar stoppage will also take place at Cork Airport tomorrow between 2pm and 6pm.

Impact said 10 controllers had been suspended from Dublin Airport and a further five from Shannon as a result of the dispute. The union also said it expected the IAA to make further suspensions today and tomorrow.

The issue of new work practices had been under discussion at the Labour Relations Commission (LRC). Both parties last Thursday agreed that the matter be referred to the Labour Court at an LRC conciliation conference.

Impact spokesman Michael Landers confirmed the industrial action was “in direct response” to the staff suspensions. He said the core issues have been referred to the Labour Court, and that the IAA should not be suspending staff while the process is ongoing.

The IAA said it had no alternative but to suspend air traffic control officers who refuse to carry out normal assigned duties “until their demands have been met”.

It claimed Impact had instructed controllers not to co-operate with a number of new technology projects unless they were given pay rises for adopting the changes.

It said flights at all airports are likely to be disrupted by the dispute, and advised passengers to contact their airline before setting out.

The IAA claimed the union’s “real agenda” was to force payment of a 6 per cent pay increase agreed as part of the last partnership agreement.

source

Another reason to take the ferry! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:eek::eek::mad::mad:
    oh oh oh..... flip.... what happens now were to bring my Uncle body back from London tomorrow afternoon, what happens then ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I await Ryanair's comment on this with interest
    Rabble, rabble, rabble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fucking pricks! That's all I have to say for now. I've had enough of cancelled flights for one winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

IAA wrote:
    It claimed Impact had instructed controllers not to co-operate with a number of new technology projects unless they were given pay rises for adopting the changes.

Hard-core union people can't understand why the public don't back union action. This is it. They want a payrise for using new technology. The arrogance and greed is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

In my far-rightwing commie-hunter mind this situation may have played out like so....

Management: "lads we're going to get some new kit in.
    It will probably make your jobs easier, it will be installed january"

Union: "can we get a pay rise for using it?......No we're not joking!"

Management: "No, why would we increase your pay for just changing a tool you use for your job? If a contractor changes his tools from Black&Decker to Bosch he doesnt have to pay his workers more for using the bosch stuff!

Union: "You make a good point, however..... Strike!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ryanair response from their website:
    ATC SEEK 6% PAYRISE DESPITE 25% FALL IN WORKLOAD

Due to industrial action by overpaid and underworked Air Traffic Controllers in Ireland, Ryanair has been forced to cancel 48 flights tomorrow (20th Jan) affecting over 6,000 passengers. Please see below the list of cancelled flights which were scheduled to operate to and from Dublin tomorrow (20th Jan).

Passengers affected by these cancelation should seeks compensation from IMPACT General Secretary Peter McLoone at tgriffin@impact.ie or on 00353-1- 8171529.

Traffic at Irish Airport fell 15% in 2009, and is set to fall further. ATC are seeking a 6% pay rise yet their worklaod has reduced by 25%. These overpaid air traffic controllers should agree to substantial pay cuts to reflect the reduced productivity being demanded of them at Irish airports this year.

TO REBOOK FREE ONLINE: Click on the link below to rebook to the same destination airport on an alternative flight free of charge, subject to availability. Customers can access this link up to the 22/01/2010 for travel on flights up to the 02/02/2010.

Click here to rebook your flight

TO APPLY FOR A REFUND ONLINE: Customers who are booked on any of the below flights, who wish to cancel and claim a full refund on the unused flight(s) can do so directly by clicking on the link below and entering the required details. Refunds will be processed in 20 working days back to the form of payment used to pay for the booking.

Click here to apply for a refund of a cancelled flight

Click here for the written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with the Regulation EU Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004.
    20/01/2010
    Flight No. Departure Airport Arrival Airport Dep. Arr.
    FR4282 DUBLIN BRATISLAVA 09:25 13:25
    FR8558 DUBLIN BERLIN SCHONEFELD 09:50 12:55
    FR1164 SHANNON FARO 10:10 13:05
    FR114 DUBLIN LONDON GATWICK 11:40 13:10
    FR8202 BRISTOL KNOCK 12:20 13:25
    FR554 DUBLIN MANCHESTER 12:50 13:45
    FR9852 CORK LONDON GATWICK 12:55 14:20
    FR1182 SHANNON LONDON GATWICK 13:05 14:30
    FR1901 DUBLIN KRAKOW 13:20 17:20
    FR8559 BERLIN SCHONEFELD DUBLIN 13:20 14:45
    FR1165 FARO SHANNON 13:30 16:25
    FR7062 DUBLN ALICANTE 13:30 17:30
    FR115 LONDON GATWICK DUBLIN 13:40 15:00
    FR4283 BRATISLAVA DUBLIN 13:50 15:40
    FR8203 KNOCK BRISTOL 13:50 14:55
    FR7094 DUBLIN MURCIA 13:55 17:55
    FR504 DUBLIN BRISTOL 14:00 15:00
    FR666 DUBLIN BIRMINGHAM 14:00 15:00
    FR4443 KERRY DUBLIN 14:05 14:50
    FR555 MANCHESTER DUBLIN 14:10 15:05
    FR9895 LIVERPOOL CORK 14:20 15:25
    FR9853 LONDON GATWICK CORK 14:50 16:15
    FR1183 LONDON GATWICK SHANNON 15:00 16:25
    FR4444 DUBLIN KERRY 15:15 16:05
    FR505 BRISTOL DUBLIN 15:25 16:25
    FR667 BIRMINGHAM DUBLIN 15:25 16:25
    FR1964 DUBLIN EINDHOVEN 15:25 18:00
    FR132 SHANNON PARIS BEAUVAIS 15:40 18:20
    FR9896 CORK LIVERPOOL 15:50 16:50
    FR856 DUBLIN OSLO TORP 15:55 19:05
    FR445 LIVERPOOL DUBLIN 16:05 16:55
    FR9432 DUBLIN ROME CIAMPINO 16:05 20:05
    FR116 DUBLIN LONDON GATWICK 16:30 18:00
    FR702 KERRY LONDON STANSTED 16:30 17:55
    FR224 DUBLIN LONDON STANSTED 16:50 18:05
    FR9846 CORK DUBLIN 17:05 17:55
    FR444 DUBLIN LIVERPOOL 17:20 18:10
    FR1902 KRAKOW DUBLIN 17:45 19:35
    FR7063 ALICANTE DUBLIN 18:05 20:00
    FR701 LONDON STANSTED KERRY 18:20 19:50
    FR7095 MURCIA DUBLIN 18:20 20:15
    FR9847 DUBLIN CORK 18:20 19:10
    FR1965 EINDHOVEN DUBLN 18:25 19:05
    FR117 LONDON GATWICK DUBLIN 18:30 19:45
    FR227 LONDON STANSTED DUBLIN 18:30 19:45
    FR133 PARIS BEAUVAIS SHANNON 18:45 19:25
    FR857 OSLO TORP DUBLIN 19:30 20:45
    FR9431 ROME CIAMPINO DUBLIN 20:30 22:45

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

This proves that trade unions are who is really dragging this country down. It is so very sad. Especially when the State struggles with the most difficult budget, almost everyone takes a pay cut of some sorts, directly, increased taxes, reduced benefits etc. These guys have some cheek asking for an increase. If I asked my boss for an increase because we are moving from one CRM system to another next week he would laugh his head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I was due to fly to Liverpool for the Spurs game tomorrow afternoon. Gutted.

Just booked the ferry there. 30 euro but I guess i'll be able to have a few pints during the 7 hr crossing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

thats the only thing i like about ryanair, they show the strikers for what they are, arseholes......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Volthar wrote: »
    This proves that trade unions are who is really dragging this country down. It is so very sad.

Yes, it is all the fault of the unions that the country is in a huge mess. Nothing to do with the greedy, reckless and unbelievably incompetent banking sector. Nor the greedy shyster property developers. Nor the greedy incompetent corrupt politicians who ran the country into the ground. Not even anything to do with greedy stupid individuals caught up in the Irish property pyramid scheme or any one of the other groups who were happy to grab every penny out of the boom without any thought to what would happen when the inevitable happened.

No, it is all the unions fault, without them Ireland would be just fine, let's burn down Liberty Hall and witness the Celtic Phoenix rise from the ashes as Ireland once again becomes the land of limitless cash on credit, cheap foreigners to do the jobs our own burgeoning middle class wouldn't lower themselves to do and and ever rising prices for tiny sh!t-box housing 50 miles from any likely employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mistermarantz

The unions in this country are a disgrace, This strike will cost many business's such as hotels, tourist attractions and pubs etc a fortune due to cancelled incoming flights. This is doing the troubled hotel industry no favours. This strike reminds me of the DART train drivers who wanted a pay rise because they were asked to drive spanking new trains about a year or so ago. The arrogance of the Unions in this country is unreal and they should be got rid of.

What a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

With the new terminal and customs clearance for the states Dublin is trying to turn itself into a european hub. This sort of cr@p will make airlines think twice and cost the country jobs and investment.

Unions may not fully have caused the crash but they cashed in the whole way through the tiger and are now completely unwilling to compromise now that the country is on its knees. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Yes, it is all the fault of the unions that the country is in a huge mess. Nothing to do with the greedy, reckless and unbelievably incompetent banking sector. Nor the greedy shyster property developers. Nor the greedy incompetent corrupt politicians who ran the country into the ground. Not even anything to do with greedy stupid individuals caught up in the Irish property pyramid scheme or any one of the other groups who were happy to grab every penny out of the boom without any thought to what would happen when the inevitable happened.

No, it is all the unions fault, without them Ireland would be just fine, let's burn down Liberty Hall and witness the Celtic Phoenix rise from the ashes as Ireland once again becomes the land of limitless cash on credit, cheap foreigners to do the jobs our own burgeoning middle class wouldn't lower themselves to do and and ever rising prices for tiny sh!t-box housing 50 miles from any likely employment.

I should have used different wording. Not only unions but unions on the top of your list. As a matter of fact we are all guilty. I hope it is going to change.

What p.isses with unions is that they seem to not understand the situation. They keep asking for more and more when prices of almost everything are going down.

I will allow myself a little off topic here:
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    ever rising prices for tiny sh!t-box housing 50 miles from any likely employment.
    When I rented a 2 bed apt 2 years ago for €1400 the landlord invited 4 parties for a viewing... we had to decide and pay him a booking deposit on the spot! I have just handed him a notice and he was almost begging me to stay for €900. Priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Was meant to be on FR1964 to Eindhoven tommorrow at 15:25

Used the link on Ryanair website to change the booking to Thursday, put the changes through to be told that its provisional and is not confirmed until you receive an itinerary by email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

My flight from Dublin is cancelled. I was to fly from Galway to Dublin to connect but not alot of point now. Is there a way to get a refund on the connecting flight?, "Aer" Arann have told me to go **** myself...

My flight from Dublin is cancelled. I was to fly from Galway to Dublin to connect but not alot of point now. Is there a way to get a refund on the connecting flight?, "Aer" Arann have told me to go **** myself...

if connecting flight is cancelled too you should if not I doubt it.

Can you not leave earlier and drive up / get bus / train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

That's kind of the point. My flight from Dublin no longer exists so I could walk to Dublin Airport but there's not much point getting there to sit round the terminal till Aer Lingus shoot their communists or whatever the plan is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Bloody hell. They want a pay rise so their job remains current, and probably easier due to technological advances.

I should try that with my boss everytime we install a new printer, or get new PC's, upgrade software etc etc

:rolleyes:

**sigh**

I fcuking hate Unionisation because of this idiotic type attitude they have to working conditions.

The real problem here is that if they win all the other disgruntled unions in the country may take the same attitude towards the recent budget cuts and that won't end well for anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my flight today is cancelled according to Aer Lingus's email...trouble is, I dont have a bookng for today.Should i ask for a refund?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The real problem here is that if they win all the other disgruntled unions in the country may take the same attitude towards the recent budget cuts and that won't end well for anyone

True, that's my worry too. These people are showing complete selfish actions at completely the wrong time. I'd like to see them fired and new people brought it (though I know that's a logistical nightmare).

It's nothing but greed. If they were having basic rights taken away from them I would support them but this is just greedy nonsense. I hope they are faced down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

ATCO average salary: 115K
    Annual pension contribution made by the IAA: 34.5K
    Annual pension contribution made by staff: 0

These guys deserve:
    the right to a living wage
    the right to shut down the airports at will
    the right to collective cartel bargaining
    giant non-contributory pensions

Next year they should hold a joint christmas party with Ireland's other most deserving workers' trade union, the Irish Hospital Consultants Association. They could read each other passages from Das Capital and drink to the day when they break the chains of exploitative employers.

Always remember PATCO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

crocro wrote: »
    Always remember PATCO

Something like this should be done. It would send a message to the other greedy folk out there. I'm sure the army have ATC, why not give the current ones 48 hours to accept their new conditions or leave their jobs. This is in the national interest. Also, what with Dublin airport traffic being down lately, this could be a good time to get some new ATC in.

crocro wrote: »
    ATCO average salary: 115K
    Annual pension contribution made by the IAA: 34.5K
    Annual pension contribution made by staff: 0

These guys deserve:
    the right to a living wage
    the right to shut down the airports at will
    the right to collective cartel bargaining
    giant non-contributory pensions

Deserve, why?

I actually can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, I seriously hope it was!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

My opinion is the same as most others, it is pure out and out greed from people who are totally distanced from what is going on in this country.

Does anyone know if this is going to effect this weekend and early next week as a friend of mine has to fly out on Saturday and back on Tuesday.

Surely they have to ballot and give notice for a all out strike, otherwise it would be an illegal wildcat strike?

devnull wrote: »
    My opinion is the same as most others, it is pure out and out greed from people who are totally distanced from what is going on in this country.

Does anyone know if this is going to effect this weekend and early next week as a friend of mine has to fly out on Saturday and back on Tuesday.

Surely they have to ballot and give notice for a all out strike, otherwise it would be an illegal wildcat strike?

This strike is to attend an official union meeting so I suppose it depends on the outcome of that as the whether there will be more strikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Waiting here in Stansted for the last two and a half hours and will be here until 8pm. Had to get my flight changed from Dublin to Shannon. Was meant to be landing before the strike was scheduled to begin.
    Anyone know why my flight would have been cancelled?

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Waiting here in Stansted for the last two and a half hours and will be here until 8pm. Had to get my flight changed from Dublin to Shannon. Was meant to be landing before the strike was scheduled to begin.
    Anyone know why my flight would have been cancelled?

Plane wouldn't have gotten out again. So rather than have it stuck in Dublin all day, cancel that run and move it directly to the next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

You're probably right, but as you can imagine that doesn't seem like the sensible option to an angry me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Looking at the departures details from Dublin, Aerlingus cancelled a lot of flights from much earlier in the day, to much later than the end of the strike. Must be to do with logistics.

Anyone know if there is a danger of this continuing to cause disruption tomorrow? Or will that not be known till the unions come out of todays meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

I await Ryanair's comment on this with interest
    I'd reply to this but I am afraid of upsetting poor young cookie monsterette, again, like it seems I did on the "How bad is Ryan Air" thread, just by showing the facts and giving the references re Ryan airs awful record on safety and ripping off customers. !
    I had no idea I had been chatting with such a sensitive, easily offended little group, (especially when it was they who were using the punctuated expletives etc.) But then, life is funny ! I must offer to buy you all some ice-cream or jelly tots in town some saturday afternoon............. go on, go on, ya will, ya will ya will, go on.....friends again??

Irlandese wrote: »
    I'd reply to this but I am afraid of upsetting poor young cookie monsterette, again, like it seems I did on the "How bad is Ryan Air" thread, just by showing the facts and giving the references re Ryan airs awful record on safety and ripping off customers. !
    I had no idea I had been chatting with such a sensitive, easily offended little group, (especially when it was they who were using the punctuated expletives etc.) But then, life is funny ! I must offer to buy you all some ice-cream or jelly tots in town some saturday afternoon............. go on, go on, ya will, ya will ya will, go on.....friends again??

i tried to have a reasonable discussion with you and your made up facts.
    Why bother dragging up an old thread to make a nothing point to have a go at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement