Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vine Weevil

Options
  • 19-01-2010 2:20pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These feckers have invaded some of my pots in my garden. :(

Black-Vine-Weevil.jpg

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of them?
    If so, what worked for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put all the contents of the pots - plants and compost - into a plastic bag, tie it and dispose of it in normal rubbish, not recycling. Scrub the pots and check the area around where the pots were looking for white grubs. Dont try and save any plants from affected pots. I used something to scrub the area for eggs, but I can't remember what, maybe bleach, but I don't think that is a particularly useful activity. Mine came into the garden in a pot of primulas - they seem to particularly like them - but I got rid of them and they have not been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

You don't need to get rid of all your plants:eek: there are plenty of products out there for combating vine weevil. If you want to stay organic try Nemasys vine weevil killer. I've used it on my allotment. Its a nematode, a living parasite that you water into the soil and it kills the vine weevil grubs. You can also dig around the base of your plants and look for large fat white grubs, throw them away or burn them.

I got the nemasys vine weevil killer in Mr. middletons garden shop in Dublin city centre. They have a website and will deliver. Just make sure to keep it in the fridge until your ready to use it or the parasite might die.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's fantastic Sharon. I did not want to get rid of my plants.
    Did that process work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

These things are evil. The smallish white grubs that live in the soil will eat the roots of most plants, and in pots they have a free run basically so they will quickly destroy the plants in them. I had a plague of them a few years ago that destroyed most of the patio plants in pots. Bought something in the garden centre specifically for vine weevil grubs - add to watering can and doused the lot. It worked a treat. The stuff itself was pretty nasty though so I wouldn't use it on any fruit or veg - Sharon's solution sounds better if it works. Kill the adults whenever you see them - they are very slow and provide a satisfying crunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Are you saying these pots are outdoors and this is happening now? Very unusual for vine weevil to be active at this time of year except maybe, in a heated greenhouse and the same would apply to the nematodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dunk them compleatly in a bath of the potato blight remedy, for a couple of days, i just cannot think of its name, (fceking clusters migraines)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Yep seemed to do the trick we didn't see any evidence of them a week or so after treating them, It is quite pricey, around 16 euro for enough to treat 12 sq. metres, as bmaxi said, it would be unusual for vine weevils to be active this time of year unless your pots are protected or sheltered, its too cold for them and I wouldn't have thought the eggs have hatched yet into the grubs. Make sure you wait until the soil is warm enough before applying nemasys, I think it has to be at least 5 degrees or the nematodes will not do their job very well and may die with the cold. If your pots are sheltered or in a green house it should be fine just check the soil temp. If they are outside wait until the weather warms up a bit and then treat them. Good luck.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 germcarthur

old boy wrote: »
    dunk them compleatly in a bath of the potato blight remedy, for a couple of days, i just cannot think of its name, (fceking clusters migraines)

Can you tell me pls if you me mean to dip the foliage or the roots or what in the potato blight, every year they destroy my fuchsias.

Many thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

I have sown a lot of christmas trees,Iv been warned about these!!these guys are supose to be bad news,:eek:
    Other tree farmers spray them with a budgit when they come out at a certain time of year.
    Il find out the name of chemical.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

To prevent them from invading again you might want to carefully inspect any plants you buy in shops and garden centres. I know of a couple of garden centres that have nurseries that have problems with Vine weevil. Try growing from seed or even better "borrow cuttings" from friends and family plants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement