Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying car in north

• 19-01-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Heading up north tomorrow to look at a few cars! I heard something about how if you register the car here through VRT, your motor tax is determined differently to how it normally gets worked out in Ireland. Is there any truth to this? Something to do with changes in the last budget?
    Also can anyone tell me of the AA equivalent or someone to trust to do vehicle inspection in Belfast area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

pog it wrote: »
    Heading up north tomorrow to look at a few cars! I heard something about how if you register the car here through VRT, your motor tax is determined differently to how it normally gets worked out in Ireland. Is there any truth to this? Something to do with changes in the last budget?
    Also can anyone tell me of the AA equivalent or someone to trust to do vehicle inspection in Belfast area?

What type of car are you looking for? Are you looking for new or used? Why are you going up North, most cars both new and used are more expensive up there these days.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    What type of car are you looking for? Are you looking for new or used? Why are you going up North, most cars both new and used are more expensive up there these days.

Not necesarly true, I know a lad bringing in a 2006 520d, he reckons he will have it for around 15k incl vrt (he has done his homework on it), most are looking for 20k+ on carzone. Just depends on the car and the particular deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

To answer Saab's question, it's an Audi A2- similar prices from what I can gather from all the different car websites.. did some searching on audi dealer sites and can't find any A2s, so hence why I have to go up north. There are one or two down south but are substantially higher mileage.

RAC I think can do the vehicle inspection for me.

Still dunno about tax if VRT'd in 2010.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Road tax on any pre 2008 cars is cc based
    Road tax on 2008 and newer is emissions based.

VRT on all passenger imports is emissions based

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To answer Saab's question, it's an Audi A2- similar prices from what I can gather from all the different car websites.. did some searching on audi dealer sites and can't find any A2s, so hence why I have to go up north. There are one or two down south but are substantially higher mileage.

RAC I think can do the vehicle inspection for me.

Still dunno about tax if VRT'd in 2010.. :(

what year is the A2?

• Advertisement

To answer your question about tax. If the car is pre-2008 it goes on the old cc based system same as any other car here on the old system. If its 2008 and originally registered in the UK between january and july 2008 you can choose which system you use and after july 2008 its the new system.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Maybe someone can confirm if what I said about having a choice on cars registered between Jan and July 2008 is still the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

With respect OP, if you don't know the in's and out's of importing a car, maybe you should'nt be going up north in the first place.

If its 2008 and originally registered in the UK between january and july 2008 you can choose which system you use and after july 2008 its the new system.
    I don't believe this is the case.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Yeah your right, I did actually think this was the case but after a quick bit of research I think it only applied to cars newly registered in Ireland between Jan and July, they could change to the new system if it was beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks! Yeah I heard that if you had an imported car which you paid VRT on during 2010 that the actual road tax would differ on it.

It's a 2002 diesel and a 2001 petrol that I am looking at.. want to test drive them both-- not definitely buying!!

The VRt is going to be around 20% which I have factored in so apart from that and calling RAC to get the car checked (which I would do for any south bought car), there isn't that much difference niceirishfella!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

its not, i brought in a 2008 passat last Feb and the tax is emmisions based. i didnt get a choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

If you import a damaged repairable from the north would the vrt still be calculated on the open market price or on what the car is worth as is?

VRT is calculated on the value of a fully functioning vehicle, which is what you'll be driving once you fix it.

If that wasn't the case, lads would be removing doors and engines to lower the VRT figure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

VRT is calculated on the value of a fully functioning vehicle, which is what you'll be driving once you fix it.

If that wasn't the case, lads would be removing doors and engines to lower the VRT figure :D[/quote

that makes sense alright, never even thought of that, I must be too honest:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks! Yeah I heard that if you had an imported car which you paid VRT on during 2010 that the actual road tax would differ on it.

it makes no difference that you are VRT'ing it in 2010. Even if you imported the car last year the Motor Tax would still be cc based as its a 2002 model.

Advertisement