Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Service Contracts Between National Transport Authority and CIE Group Companies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Worthy of note - a (presumably) draft Nitelink spider map is included in the Dublin Bus contract, page 27. Quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

noelfirl wrote: »
    Worthy of note - a (presumably) draft Nitelink spider map is included in the Dublin Bus contract, page 27. Quite nice.

Is that a map of what was, or what will be?

On the map the 67n "runs to Maynooth Mon-Thurs", but in reality it's a skeleton service on Fri and Sat nights only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

For the period of 1 December 2009 to 31 December 2009, the Authority shall
    pay €2,060,000 to the Operator. In regard to the period commencing on 1
    January, 2010 until the termination of this Contract, the amount and terms of
    the payment shall be determined by the Authority, and the Services to be
    provided therefore agreed between the Operator and the Authority on an
    annual basis by a date agreed between the Authority and the Operator and any
    alterations to services shall be set out in an amended Schedule A.

Does this mean the operator is paying over all the fares to the 'Authority'?

Edit: no
    14.1 The Operator will retain the fare revenue.

My take on this is - integrated ticketing is not possible until such a time as all fares are paid over to the 'Authority' and operators conpensated in return. Am I wrong?

I ask because integrated ticketing is the one thing that can be implemented now without any infrastructural investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

noelfirl wrote: »

That was the first spider map that Dublin Bus developed.

Colm R wrote: »

My take on this is - integrated ticketing is not possible until such a time as all fares are paid over to the 'Authority' and operators conpensated in return. Am I wrong?

I ask because integrated ticketing is the one thing that can be implemented now without any infrastructural investment.

Colm,

I'd refer you to point 9 in the thread below, in which I've tried to explain how integrated ticketing will/won't work in Dublin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803354

Again though I think we have to remember that this is for single tickets/smartcard purse. A full range of prepaid period passes across most forms of public transport (excluding the four private bus operators in Dublin - Swords Express/UrBus/Dualway/Finnegans) is already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

IE contract

hmm... no performance standards for Galway-Limerick, Limerick-Rosslare (and Limerick-Ballybrophy?), Cork suburban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is that a map of what was, or what will be?

On the map the 67n "runs to Maynooth Mon-Thurs", but in reality it's a skeleton service on Fri and Sat nights only.

I never even noticed that, what with KC61 has said, I just mustn't remember having seeing it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So punctuality means On time is ten minutes late? only between 7 and 9 am?
    so if the train is late then if it's so late it arrives after 9 am it isn't late at all for these buckos?

Major timetable changes only to be announced 5 days ahead?

This is the best bit so far
    quote(nationaltransport.ie)
    Irish Rail staff will be well presented, friendly, helpful and courteous at all times
    \quote

Actually this is the best bit
    Where train services are not accessible, taxis will be provided at Iarnród Éireann’s expense.
    with no get out. so when they say the lifts are out, there's a taxi

Quarter 1 2010 Performance reports have now been published on the NTA website.

Dublin Bus
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/performance_dublinbus_q1_2010.pdf

Bus Eireann
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/performance_buseir_q1_2010.pdf

Iarnrod Eireann
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/performance_irishrail_q1_2010.pdf

I'd have to say that Bus Eireann's is the most impressive in terms of information given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

IE's targets are pathetic. 90% (and even 87%) is far too low a bench mark. Compare it to BE 98% target which is much more valid an aim.

Also DB new timetable changes for Network Direct
    Minimum 5 Working
    Days Notice

not great tbh

• Advertisement

The 5 working days refers to any change in timetables and not specifically Network Direct.

I think that you can take it as read that greater notice will be given of the network changes. We've seen that already.

The 5 working days notice is a vast improvement on the old practice of announcing changes on the Friday evening before they were implemented on the Sunday.

KC61 wrote: »
    The 5 working days refers to any change in timetables and not specifically Network Direct.

I think that you can take it as read that greater notice will be given of the network changes. We've seen that already.

The 5 working days notice is a vast improvement on the old practice of announcing changes on the Friday evening before they were implemented on the Sunday.

apologies I somehow read the word "direct" in this bit
    Network Changes on Website

still not great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

apologies I somehow read the word "direct" in this bit

still not great though

Haven't been on this thread in a while. I am aware that the public consultation phase has come and gone. However, are the current route diagrams set in stone or are there changes that are yet to be made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Colm R wrote: »

Shame, it would leave no excuses against true integrated ticketing.

Haven't been on this thread in a while. I am aware that the public consultation phase has come and gone. However, are the current route diagrams set in stone or are there changes that are yet to be made?

There may well be changes yet - note though that this thread is about the NTA Public Service Contracts and not Network Direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

There may well be changes yet - note though that this thread is about the NTA Public Service Contracts and not Network Direct.

I was meant to put this up on the other thread. My mistake.:D

What is a "working day" any day of the year other than Xmas and St Stephen's? 'cos IÉ work on all those days.

There was very little notice when IÉ allowed the bridge across the estuary at Malahide fall into the sea, despite acknowledging they were warned it was at serious risk....

When I complained about a discrepancy between the timetable in the customer service timetable book and the IÉ website last week, I was told "sher there's only one minutes difference"

What is a "working day" any day of the year other than Xmas and St Stephen's? 'cos IÉ work on all those days.

There was very little notice when IÉ allowed the bridge across the estuary at Malahide fall into the sea, despite acknowledging they were warned it was at serious risk....

When I complained about a discrepancy between the timetable in the customer service timetable book and the IÉ website last week, I was told "sher there's only one minutes difference"

Those comments were made with reference to Dublin Bus.

What was the discrepancy in the IE timetables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I`m a fan of the major UK Authorities method of Timetabling.....

Route 999. Peak-Service-every 3-5 Min.
    Off-Peak Service every 4-9 Min.

You see it quite a bit in major UK cities as it bridges the gap between the Germanic predeliction for exact timings and the Anglo-Celtic inability to comprehend the term exact

Sorted then ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I`m a fan of the major UK Authorities method of Timetabling.....

Route 999. Peak-Service-every 3-5 Min.
    Off-Peak Service every 4-9 Min.

You see it quite a bit in major UK cities as it bridges the gap between the Germanic predeliction for exact timings and the Anglo-Celtic inability to comprehend the term exact

Sorted then ? ;)

thats all well and good but I want to know when a bus is due not maybe in 4 mins, maybe in 9... standing in the pissing rain at a stop in the middle of winter those 5 mins will make a big difference :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

BE notes:

"It is intended that more comprehensive data will shortly be available from the Automatic Vehicle Location System by the year end."

This should be true for all three. And maybe the NTA should have access to that raw data, or even better -- the live data.

Those comments were made with reference to Dublin Bus.

What was the discrepancy in the IE timetables?

the notice period of 5 working days is in the rail section of the nta's website also.

IÉ allege a train leaves Connolly for Tara at 8:31 online, in the timetable at customer services it's 8:32.
    I complained as the train was announced as being the 8:35 about 3 days the week before last.

As I'm only getting a connection going to Tara, a minute difference makes an appreciable difference, 4 minutes wastes my time.

Given that the online timetable is linked into their timetable database I would say that is the correct version.

There is a railcar at 0831 and a DART at 0836.

Under the old timetable (pre-Clongriffen) the railcar was at 0835 and the DART at 0832 but that has changed.

The current DART and commuter timetable backs up the online version:

Refer to page 3 of http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/DART%20Timetable%20April%2010.pdf

Advertisement