Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEI registered contractor - Co.Monaghan

• 19-01-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Has anyone use an approved SEI contractor in Co.Monaghan, if so who was it and any comment on the quality off work completed.

Looking to get some one to insulate the attic and drywall internal walls off a 1950's cottage circa 800sq feet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

No idea in who to recommend Monaghan, best check SEI web site for registered installers in your area (if you haven't already). Majority of installers do good works as its SEI requirement, cowboys cant really get away with dodgy works as paper trails will lead back to them, to much hassle for a reg SEI intaller to do bad works / take chances than to do job right and proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The sei are very strict about who is on their list ,I'm doing loads of work for their grants and they do check the work is done properly.
    They even have their own regulations ,on top of manufacturers recomendations.
    Very effecient body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dictator

Thanks for the replies, had check out the list for monaghan but just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had used someone local.

Was thinking that the guidelines would be fairly good but had seen a TV programme on RTE where alot off people had hassle with another SEI grant scheme where pellet burners had been installed, most off the installers turned out to be cowboys.

The grants were probably new at that stage and everyone and their granny tried to jump on the bandwagon.

We're only doing it about a year now and they've checked about twenty jobs we've done.

Dictator wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, had check out the list for monaghan but just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had used someone local.

Was thinking that the guidelines would be fairly good but had seen a TV programme on RTE where alot off people had hassle with another SEI grant scheme where pellet burners had been installed, most off the installers turned out to be cowboys.

Haven't installed pellet boiler, anyone I know who has one wished they went the Geo route instead. Pellet boilers designed to heat entire house are a night mare, if sourcing pellets is not hard enough, finding a place to locate huge hopper is even harder, some customers didn't spend to much time doing homework so problems arose during construction, having to loose half of garage for pellet storage and then nightmare amounts of maintenance.

Haven't heard about insulation cowboys yet, grandmothers house insulated recently through SEI/ Government insulation improvement incentive, Northern Irish Contractors fitted insulation, top job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

yoshytoshy wrote: »

We're only doing it about a year now and they've checked about twenty jobs we've done.

How many jobs have ye done?

For boiler upgrades and heating controls ,probably about fourthy.

items wrote: »
    grandmothers house insulated recently through SEI/ Government insulation improvement incentive, Northern Irish Contractors fitted insulation, top job.

Do you have the name off the company that completed you Grandmother's work, I'd give them a call for a qoute, were they reasonable or did they just add the grant amount into their qoute, thanks

Dictator wrote: »
    Do you have the name off the company that completed you Grandmother's work, I'd give them a call for a qoute, were they reasonable or did they just add the grant amount into their qoute, thanks

I'll find out and send you details as soon as possible, no idea on price as job completed under the scheme to improve insulation for old folk, not even sure if money changed hands, company might have sent invoice to Government or SEI.

Yoshy, I've installed works suitable for Grant from around 05 right up to last year until bottom fell out of market, never had any visits from SEI people, to me SEI are more an agency, they do all the paper work,. First I've heard of them calling out to see works. Normally if a problem arose SEI send out a registered SEI contractor on their behalf.

items wrote: »
    Yoshy, I've installed works suitable for Grant from around 05 right up to last year until bottom fell out of market, never had any visits from SEI people, to me SEI are more an agency, they do all the paper work,. First I've heard of them calling out to see works. Normally if a problem arose SEI send out a registered SEI contractor on their behalf.

They're sending people out to check alright ,at the beginning it was guys from northern ireland that were doing it. Not sure in the last few months ...
    I think they were specifically employed to do the checking.
    This was for the heating system upgrades ,the grants only started for last year.

Most people we did the work for know us already ,we would have installed their boilers originally twenthy odd years ago ,they would let us know someone was around.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all, I'm currently waiting on quotes from SEI registered contractors that called out.

Advertisement