Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dad is thinking of getting a 2010 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.5D

• 19-01-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

He basically is looking at getting the renault megane 1.5 Diesel. It will cost him 15K with the scrappage scheme he has a crappy primera thats a 11 years old that is starting to cuase problems

Is there any other car comes near to the value of this with the scrappage scheme.
    You get the idea of car and size he wants from the criteria below any help would be appreciated.
    He does aroun 8K Mile a year and my younger brother who's 23 will be driving it too.

What do you guys think of the NEW megane he seems to think it ticks all the box's for him.
    Comfort
    High MPG
    Cruise Control
    Handling
    Easy to get in and out of (He's 65)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Bravo Multijet diesel is €15k AFAIK. 4 year warranty but not as modern as the Meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

He would'nt touch a Fiat (weird thing is he likes Renault) does anyone know if it will be reliable

Look, the previous Megane was terrible for the first few years of production. The Bravo has been out a few years now.
    The Fiat has a longer warranty too.

Fiats are a lot better than they were, but the same might be said for Renault. Every time a new generation comes out they say it's built to a higher standard etc.

I wouldn't say the Renault is any better than the Fiat, both have good cars and bad cars in their range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest I'd have no worries buying a new car of any make now especially new with a warranty.

Would there be alternatives in the price range that he has missed out on
    He would'nt touch
    KIA
    Hyudai
    Fiat

• Advertisement

Can't see why he wouldn't want a Hyundai or Kia, Maybe 20 years ago but not today.
    Sit him down and explain the Kia warranty and reliability stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Currently the ford focus is exceptional value with a high spec 1.6 tdi but there is a new model due in late 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Psygnosis wrote: »
    He basically is looking at getting the renault megane 1.5 Diesel. It will cost him 15K with the scrappage scheme he has a crappy primera thats a 11 years old that is starting to cuase problems

Is there any other car comes near to the value of this with the scrappage scheme.
    You get the idea of car and size he wants from the criteria below any help would be appreciated.
    He does aroun 8K Mile a year and my younger brother who's 23 will be driving it too.

What do you guys think of the NEW megane he seems to think it ticks all the box's for him.
    Comfort
    High MPG
    Cruise Control
    Handling
    Easy to get in and out of (He's 65)

The previous megane and laguna suffered badly from unreliablity issues and breakdowns, not sure what happened there but poor quality of parts and eletrics and workmanship. They had to get their game together, hence the larger warranty in the more recent laguna, and i havent heard as much about it, ( which is good!!). I think if the car ticks the boxes for him and he likes the marque he should go for it. The milage hes doing,. wont cost him much to trade again in 3 years to another..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Reliability would not worry my on the new Megane, Renault have addressed all the old cars weak spots and you have a great warranty.

However,I'd be looking at the Golf and Astra as well, the Megane while good is not the best in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

If Carlos Ghosn is to be believed, Renault now make Europes most reliable cars? LOL we'll see!

• Advertisement

ah shur European cars aren't that reliable anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just on the Fiat warranty, they did offer a 4 year warranty in Ireland in recent years. But it now appears that the warranty is 3 years. Still a good warranty

Press release on the 4 year warranty
    http://www.fiat.ie/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/FIAT_IRELAND/news/news.jsp?categoryOID=-1073787505

3 year warranty
    http://www.fiat.ie/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/FIAT_IRELAND/service/service.jsp?session=no&categoryOID=-1073785153

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As for the new Megane, we have one for around a year. No problems - but then you wouldn't expect any from a new car from a reliable make like Renault. Our one has the 85 bhp diesel which sounds like very little but it is adequate for overtaking etc. The car is quite refined at an indicated 130 km/h on the motorway it is noticably more refined than the 1.4 Ford Focus (petrol) that came before it. The ride and seats are a little firmer than I would have expected but not bad, better than the Ford anyway. Build quality is fine. Average economy is between 60 and 70 mpg depending on who has been driving it. Car had its first service from the main dealer recently which cost 120 quid. The 85 bhp has 20,000 km service intervals whereas the 106 bhp has 30,000 km service intervals.

That's great lads, think my dad is going to go for the megane allright.

You've been a great help he ain't too good with the internet forums malarky:D

Advertisement