Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Loops etc to Jam along to

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Does anybody know of any good sites (free or very cheap!) that has a lot of good beats/loops/samples to jam along to.

I play bass and would like to be able to throw a beat on a loop and jam along to get ideas, work on my improv etc.

Anybody with any good suggestions?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Thanks! That'll keep me busy for a while tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

jarain wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any good sites (free or very cheap!) that has a lot of good beats/loops/samples to jam along to.

I play bass and would like to be able to throw a beat on a loop and jam along to get ideas, work on my improv etc.

Anybody with any good suggestions?

Thanks

J
    What I do is use either Guitar Pro or FL Studio with a suitable drum VST. It depends on whether I want something that sounds pretty realistic or I just want a quick beat to jam along to. Both programs can export to midi so it's possible to copy beats from one program to the other. I've attached an example of the MIDI and MP3 output from FL Studio for one bar of a track that I was working on before Christmas.

It will take time to learn but it's a very powerful solution as you can change tempo as required very easily.
    king-stew wrote: »
    That's a handy looking site, thanks for posting it up, I've added it to my bookmarks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I have a bunch of them on my site but it's offline at the moment because i need to fix it. Hopefully I'll have it back online next week and i'll stick a link up.

Most are made using Toontracks Ezdrummer and also there's one that was recorded by a real drummer. :D

Dord wrote: »
    I have a bunch of them on my site but it's offline at the moment because i need to fix it. Hopefully I'll have it back online next week and i'll stick a link up.

Most are made using Toontracks Ezdrummer and also there's one that was recorded by a real drummer. :D
    I probably should have added that EZDrummer is what I use too. It's very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I don't actually have it. The tracks were programmed by a guy on another forum I'm on and I keep an archive of the tracks for people to use. Basically someone suggests a drum track style and tempo, it gets created and then people have to go off and make some little song out of that. It's a lot of fun!

I have a lot of half finished tracks though. :o

Dord wrote: »
    I have a lot of half finished tracks though. :o
    Heh, I know that feeling. I tend to blast through a song idea over a couple of hours in one evening. If it doesn't get finished in that sitting it's liable to moulder away on my hard drive for years as I think up more ideas to work on or just get distracted doing other stuff.

As an example, earlier today I found a track which I'd left a note for myself on. It's been unfinished since Feb 17th 1998 :o. Maybe when I retire or if I win the Lotto I will find time to work on it again :).

Anyway, getting back to EZDrummer, one useful feature it has is about 20,000 beat patterns that can easily be dropped into a DAW. I don't use them much but it's nice to know they are there.

Advertisement