Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I screwed with a 2.2 honours degree?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone.

I graduated last November with a 2.2 BBS Honours degree in HR, and decided to work for a year. Now i'm looking into doing a postgrad, and find that the minimum requirement is a 2.1 for nearly all applications.

My question is, like the title, am I wasting my time looking into a postgrad with a 2.2, and if so, is there any courses I can do maybe to boost my chances of acceptance into courses?

Any info would be great.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

In the same area as your undergrad? Probably not. You probably won't get in to the top end university/colleges as it is, but you'd probably be able to get in to ITs and maybe one or two of the colleges. Some universities do hdips, UCD do and so do Cork and I think Galway too, which are supposed to be like an access course, but I don't know whether they do them in HR. Check the websites.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that work experience can sometimes count in lieu of not having a 2.1. One year experience probably isn't enough though. UCD run evening courses, and you could probably find some FAS courses as well but if you can do a hdip that'll get you in to a masters, then that's probably better.

Also, it's worth checking findamasters.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

am I wasting my time looking into a postgrad with a 2.2
    No you are not. Its more difficult, but not impossible. really depends on the course. Maybe try and make direct contact woth course leader to 'sell' yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

H2G2 wrote: »
    No you are not. Its more difficult, but not impossible. really depends on the course. Maybe try and make direct contact woth course leader to 'sell' yourself.

I did. He advised me that the cut off point last year was a 2.1. My perception was "feck off" in other words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Tired here so ur gettin a short reply :) the short answer is no! I had a 2.2 and just barely at that and got accepted to 3 business masters after a good application and some calls to convey my early interest And dedication!....18 months later I left dit top of my class and a gold medal in my back pocket!

If u can convince them your serious, you'll get in!

Best of luck!

Advertisement