Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from parenting

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Forum charter for Parenting here.

My post here.

Thread here.

Reason for my ban:

Hi Iamxavier,

You have been banned from Parenting for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

breach of charter

Anybody able to explain why I was banned considering I have not broken any rules on the forum charter? Especially since the mod who banned me was under fire in the thread from other posters too, I find this to be quite a biased decision. I guess you didn't like my opinion or viewpoint Thaedydal?

I sent the Thaedydal a request to point out what I had done wrong and what rule in the charter I have broken. No response as of yet. Surprise surprise...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Beruthiel wrote: »

Thanks, I had sent the mod in question a message, but she doesn't seem to want to deal with it anymore.

Who is the cat mod for that forum? I have absolutely no idea and no idea how to find out. Hence my comming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

NESF and Scofflaw are the cmods for that category but, before you contact them, how long since you sent the PM? Mods arent online 24/7 so you may want to leave it a little before escalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Waiting for input from Thaedydal.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

LoLth wrote: »
    NESF and Scofflaw are the cmods for that category but, before you contact them, how long since you sent the PM? Mods arent online 24/7 so you may want to leave it a little before escalation.

I got a PM off the mod in question. Thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement

My first judgement here would have favoured Iamxavier, because on the face of it that post shouldn't really be construed as a personal insult to anyone in particular. However, the thread was already running hot, and Iamxavier, rather than contributing anything useful, came on-thread with an aggressive and inflammatory post which implicitly described about half the posters as idiots.

Iamxavier then followed up his/her ban with a barrage of abusive PMs - and we're talking barrage here - and an immediate Help Desk thread without waiting for any response by Thaedydal.

Finally, there is no real way in which Thaedydal can be accused of having taken Iamxavier's post "personally", because this was Iamxavier's first post on the thread - he hadn't been arguing with Thaedydal, and Thaedydal hadn't and hasn't reacted to any other post in this way, even though many of them expressed the same point of view as Iamxavier.

On that basis, I would support the ban, and I'd remind Iamxavier that there's no point in trying to argue the fine points of forum charters, because they're guidelines, not law codes. Iamxavier's post was out of order, and Thaedydal's response was proportionate.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I concur with Scofflaw's thinking here.

I wasn't expecting any less from either of ye... :rolleyes:

Typical backing up of mods who are quite obviously out of line.

As you said, it was my first post on that thread which was met with a 7 day ban. Sounds like power tripping to me, and other users of that forum.

Thae was arguing with other people on the thread, I backed up those people and thae simply couldn't handle it. A very weak decision to say the least.

Is there a time frame which I must adhere to prior to posting in this forum? Thae handled the situation in a most profound and unprofessional manner. She couldn't give some simple information when requested.

Take a look at most forums, insulting large groups of people is not uncommon, yet it is accepted accross the board. AH is a prime example for this.

I wasn't expecting any less from either of ye... :rolleyes:

Typical backing up of mods who are quite obviously out of line.

As you said, it was my first post on that thread which was met with a 7 day ban. Sounds like power tripping to me, and other users of that forum.

Thae was arguing with other people on the thread, I backed up those people and thae simply couldn't handle it. A very weak decision to say the least.

Is there a time frame which I must adhere to prior to posting in this forum? Thae handled the situation in a most profound and unprofessional manner. She couldn't give some simple information when requested.

Take a look at most forums, insulting large groups of people is not uncommon, yet it is accepted accross the board. AH is a prime example for this.

Actually, AH is a very specific example, with much looser rules than other forums. Different forums have different styles, and Parenting isn't a forum for insulting parents, but a forum for parents to talk to each other (like it says in the forum charter).

However, if you disagree with the view taken by myself and nesf, you have a next stage of appeal, which is here. I take it you do disagree, and feel that you were in the right?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Actually, AH is a very specific example, with much looser rules than other forums. Different forums have different styles, and Parenting isn't a forum for insulting parents, but a forum for parents to talk to each other (like it says in the forum charter).

However, if you disagree with the view taken by myself and nesf, you have a next stage of appeal, which is here. I take it you do disagree, and feel that you were in the right?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yea, I still believe I am in the right here.

Nobody was targeted by my post. Some seem to be over sensitive, especially in parenting as they can do no wrong, but that is not my fault. Anyone without a biased opinion can see exactly that from my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement