Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geeting ahead/on top of weeds now in raised beds

Options
  • 19-01-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I got some new raised beds put up for me in the late summer. Then I didnt get to cover them before the autumn set in. As a result they are full of weeds in particular grass. Is there a way I could minimise the work involved in peparing and clearing them come spring. Could I for example cover them in opaque PVC now so the weeding Job will be easier in spring? Living in the west of Ireland so it looks like it will be several weeks before the soil is in anyway workable?

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

A member of the horticulture society I belong to reckons that the best thing to do is to put 12 inches of seaweed or compost on top of the soil as it acts as a weed suppressant and also raises the temperature of the soil.

Advertisement