Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give this anime a go! "Higurashi no Naku Koro"

Options
  • 19-01-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Higurashi no Naku Koro (When the Cicadas Cry)
    It is a Japanese murder mystery dōjin soft sound novel series
    My friend told me its good and i will start it once i have Shugo Chara out of the way.
    If anyones watched it already , please comment on ur thoughts and if you havent, give it a shot and tell us whether its worth it. ;)
    higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni8.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

You spoil it posting images like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

First, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Second, are you trying to recommend that we read the VNs or watch the animated series? That pic gets the point across about what it's like, but the way the characters are drawn, it doesn't look like that it looks like this:

higurashi-rpg.jpg

I've watched Koro ni, Koro ni Kai and Koro ni Rei and I found them all to be fantastic. It's a very unsettling mystery/horror anime that kind of reminded me of Elfen Lied, since the characters are really cute one second and then bloodthirsty psychopaths the next. There's a lot more going on in this anime than meets the eye when you first start watching it and it's formatted into chapters which always open with the conclusion of the chapter and then begins at the start of the story, so all through the chapters you're left trying to figure out how it got that way.

The story focuses on the small town of Hinamizawa where Keiichi Maebara has recently moved to, and everything is going fine until he discovers that a series of mysterious murders has been occurring on the night of the Watanagashi Festival, which is held to honour their local God, Oyashiro, for the last 5 years. The series follows Keiichi's attempts to unravel the mysteries behind the murders. I really can't go into too much detail since you need to discover the information along with Keiichi rather than me handing it out to you, but there's the plot. Once the first chapter is over, you're going to have think you have a good gist of whats going on. The second chapter will destroy that inkling, and cause you to rethink your theory on what's going on. It's a series that really gets your mind going and will indulge your natural curiosity. I had an awesome time with it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

can you provide a download link for MegaUpload or MediaFire?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Xinkai wrote: »
    can you provide a download link for MegaUpload or MediaFire?

... No, that'd be linking to where you can download copy-right material, which is against boards.ie rules for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I'm fairly sure the rules only apply if it's licenced internationally? (or at least, that's the anime section's view on it).

And intro pic made me go meh. But numina helped pique interest, added to the lit

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Think the pic on the first post is bit of a spoiler if you havnt seen it. I never seen any pics of it first time i watched it...got a nice surprise lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

carbonkid wrote: »
    Think the pic on the first post is bit of a spoiler if you havnt seen it. I never seen any pics of it first time i watched it...got a nice surprise lol

I really don't think it does. It Illustrates that they're violent and psychopathic, it doesn't show WHY they're like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Higurashi is without a doubt my favourite anime. I love the perfect balance between humour, friendship and general happiness and insanity, horror and murders all over the place. If you haven't seen it at least give the first 4 episodes a go. You'll more than likely be hooked (or a paranoid, nervous wreck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sMxy666

hmm...i might watch this...it looks good...but atm ...watchin ongoing anime and readin manga ...
    plus..is there any bit of comedy or screwed up love romance in it?
    i find them Rofling:D
    Konachancom-66949baka_to_test_to-1.jpg
    ^^
    |||
    i recommend Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu for some lulz ^^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

feck sake.

will have to watch this so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Numina wrote: »
    It's a very unsettling mystery/horror anime that kind of reminded me of Elfen Lied, since the characters are really cute one second and then bloodthirsty psychopaths the next.

Elfen Lied? Aww, I'll have to watch this, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

sMxy666 wrote: »
    is there any bit of comedy or screwed up love romance in it?
    Yeah there's loads of humor, some romance but it's not very prevelant for most of the series. They prefer to focus on the (stark and very well done) contrast between humor and horror.

Advertisement