Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Live vs Vodafone ISP

• 19-01-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I have a Nokia e71, and I'm on Vodafone pay as you go... Whenever I go to log onto the interwebs, I am presented with a choice of access points, including:

Vodafone ISP
    Vodafone live!
    Vodafone live! Streaming
    Voadfone MMS

So what's the difference? Which should I use? I currently use Vodafone live! but i'm not sure if that's the right thing or not..

I actually asked a buddy of mine who works in a Vodafone shop, and he hasn't a clue...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Vodafone Live: 2c per KB capped at 99c per day. It goes through a proxy and some things don't work properly through it

Vodafone live! Streaming: The same as live but with the proxy disabled. Some things still don't seem to work through it though

Vodafone ISP: not included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per MB on pre pay. If you're only using a small amount of data it would actually be cheaper than using live because there is no minimum 2c charge on it and everything should work through it

Vodafone MMS: Multi media messages (picture messages). Not for web browsing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So if I need to check 1 thing quickly, go with ISP, otherwise go with live?

Is there a speed difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

dulpit wrote: »
    So if I need to check 1 thing quickly, go with ISP, otherwise go with live?

If you only need a small amount of data, go with ISP. If you need more or if you are abroad, use Vodafone Live.

Is there a speed difference?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Vodafone Live: 2c per KB capped at 99c per day. It goes through a proxy and some things don't work properly through it

Vodafone live! Streaming: The same as live but with the proxy disabled. Some things still don't seem to work through it though

Vodafone ISP: not included in the 99c per day deal, it's 19c per MB on pre pay. If you're only using a small amount of data it would actually be cheaper than using live because there is no minimum 2c charge on it and everything should work through it

Sh1t Ive been using ISP thinking it was capped, so that's where all my credit went.

Used €11 in about 2 mins when checking emails n web in NI :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I am on contract with 1Gb ISP promo add-on for €9.99. Unfortunately, when I travel overseas the ISP 1Gb doesn't cover me for anything...the cost to use ISP is €12.95 per Mb (so I discovered from my last phone bill) :mad:.
    Do you have to take out an extra subscription to get Vodafone live? Will it cover data when abroad and, if so, at what cost?

I tried getting the info from a muppet at the vodafone shop in Blanch, but either I didn't speak a clear enough English, or he was in lala land at the time :rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Sam Vimes wrote: »

• Advertisement

Italia wrote: »
    I am on contract with 1Gb ISP promo add-on for €9.99. Unfortunately, when I travel overseas the ISP 1Gb doesn't cover me for anything...the cost to use ISP is €12.95 per Mb (so I discovered from my last phone bill) :mad:.
    Do you have to take out an extra subscription to get Vodafone live? Will it cover data when abroad and, if so, at what cost?

I tried getting the info from a muppet at the vodafone shop in Blanch, but either I didn't speak a clear enough English, or he was in lala land at the time :rolleyes:
    Thanks

You have two choices
    1. Replace the 1GB ISP promo add-on with a "Mobile Internet Add-on" (also known as Vodafone Live). Make sure you change your APN to live.vodafone.com after that.
    2. Continue using the ISP add-on in Ireland, but switch the APN to live.vodafone.com when you are abroad. You will be charged 99c per day for up to 50MB of data for using the live.vodafone.com APN abroad (same as in Ireland), which is a lot cheaper than roaming with the ISP add-on.
    Note that the live.vodafone.com APN supports only the most common applications (web browsing, email, surprisingly even VoIP using SIP), but some applications which use TCP don't work, for example most web radio stations don't work, because the APN blocks it. Vodafone Live! nowadays even supports HSDPA, so there should be no speed difference between isp.vodafone.ie, hs.vodafone.ie and live.vodafone.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Keith186 wrote: »
    Sh1t Ive been using ISP thinking it was capped, so that's where all my credit went.

Used €11 in about 2 mins when checking emails n web in NI :mad:

That would have cost you 99c had you been on live.vodafone.com at the time. In addition, it's automatic, there is no need to sign up for it or register for it.

Seemingly, if you sign up to Vodafone360, your allowance is doubled to 100mb for even less per diem. However that site or 'service' is currently a mess and so I would take anything it says/claims/does with a very large pinch of sodium chloride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

Ill know for future anyway! Will that Vf live work worldwide and would it work for using say assisted gps and widgets and so on? Thanks

Keith186 wrote: »
    Ill know for future anyway! Will that Vf live work worldwide and would it work for using say assisted gps and widgets and so on? Thanks

Yes, it works worldwide (where Vodafone has data roaming) and yes A-GPS works with it.

Advertisement