Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads closed due to Landslides along Vico.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Vico Road just past White Rock and also up from Bono's residence is completely blocked off due to landslides. Residential walls have collapsed spilling garden contents on to the roadway. It looks like the roads will be blocked for the next few days. Diversions up past the Druids Chair with local access only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Anyone hurt?

Would that be a part of the park on Killiney Hill that moved? Eastern and south eastern side is very steep and bare with a lot of tree roots showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bijapos wrote: »
    Anyone hurt?

Would that be a part of the park on Killiney Hill that moved? Eastern and south eastern side is very steep and bare with a lot of tree roots showing.

Not serious, It could have been if a car or motorbike had hit the rubble from the wall on the bend. Its more of a nuisance for commuters and local residents that want to take the coastal route. There is a large concrete barrier the width of the road at the Sorrento road end and warning signs at the Chair.. I was able to get past it on a motorbike. :)

If im passing to marrow will take a few shots.

I posted this three weeks ago and passed by the place yesterday, absolutely nothing done about it. It wouldn't take a Bobcat digger and a few skilled block layers more than two days to sort out. Whats the hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

its not a major road so I doubt the council are worried about when there are many bigger roads to be dealt with. they're not gonna bother fixing half of what what went wrong IMO

its not a major road so I doubt the council are worried about when there are many bigger roads to be dealt with. they're not gonna bother fixing half of what what went wrong IMO
    You would Imagine with the weight of the likes of Bono, Niel Jordan and Enya in the area the job would have been carrier out quicker. :p

• Advertisement

You would Imagine with the weight of the likes of Bono, Niel Jordan and Enya in the area the job would have been carrier out quicker. :p

they're probably trying to get Bono tp pay for it himslef ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Good to see these elegant types are experiencing what the rest of us less humble citizens are having to put up with, you should see the roads around roscommon and Tullamore. Any ideas what cause the landslide? Large bloated egos?, expanding wallets? developers burying there last few bob in their back gardens before NAMA strike:)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Good to see these elegant types are experiencing what the rest of us less humble citizens are having to put up with, you should see the roads around roscommon and Tullamore. Any ideas what cause the landslide? Large bloated egos?, expanding wallets? developers burying there last few bob in their back gardens before NAMA strike:)
    Both of them were caused by the granite walls of lush gardens collapsing on to the roadway. Owners should be made cough up as it is their walls and gardens.

Couldn't agree more, i suspect this is what the council is thinking also

Couldn't agree more, i suspect this is what the council is thinking also

but not the rich folks. That probably the problem, they're contesting its nothing to do with them

• Advertisement

but not the rich folks. That probably the problem, they're contesting its nothing to do with them
    If they don't cooperate they should be made surrender a good lump of their gardens under CPO for reinforcement to prevent it happening again.

Hee Hee, i doubt a CPO will be required in the current climate, these house holders would probably be delighted to give their gardens away!:)

Its well over two months now and the road is still blocked off.

I now gather that this could be done intentionally so that the local "la de da" Vico residents could enjoy peace and tranquility with out pass through traffic.

Sure probably most of the local residents have been off browning their arses for the winter, no doubt they will be horrified at the state of their precious driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

walked up by this yesterday and theres still water seeping out of the garden walls.. another wall gonna come crushing down soon.

Did anyone see the Local Access Only sign hanging from the tree just at the small junction?

walked up by this yesterday and theres still water seeping out of the garden walls.. another wall gonna come crushing down soon.

thats normal enough, have seen that for years. The water has to go somewhere and a lot of them are only loose stone walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Its well over two months now and the road is still blocked off.

I now gather that this could be done intentionally so that the local "la de da" Vico residents could enjoy peace and tranquility with out pass through traffic.

That I can well believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Took a cycle up today and the residents are certainly enjoying their new traffic free boulevard, there was even one guy sitting in the middle of the road painting a portrait of a house!

It really is a farce, what about tourists who hope to drive along and park beside White Rock to take in the views?! They're not going to go all around Dalkey looking for the diversion. And doesn't the Dublin Bus Coastal Tour go along there also?!

Seems to me like all thats needed is a digger to clear the soil and a strong thick wall to prevent further collapse. Better to have it done sooner before it gets any worse, I'm sure whoever owns the site would be going straight to the Council if they found their Merc dumped onto the road after another mini landslide in their garden.

crushproof wrote: »
    It really is a farce, what about tourists who hope to drive along and park beside White Rock to take in the views?! They're not going to go all around Dalkey looking for the diversion. And doesn't the Dublin Bus Coastal Tour go along there also?!

Along the Vico, no. You couldn't get a Double Deck along it, sure you have that castle gate at the Killiney village end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'm almost convinced I've seen one of those Coastal tour buses along there at some stage, although it's most likely a total figment of my imagination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Took a cycle up today and the residents are certainly enjoying their new traffic free boulevard, there was even one guy sitting in the middle of the road painting a portrait of a house!
    LOL no wonder there are no complaints, I have been there a few times and never saw cars seemingly stuck or turning back, just a few parked at both barricades. I was there last week cycling, the exact spot is where you can walk down to the vico baths, quite a distance from Bonos, if you are at killiney beach you walk up the really steep bit past bonos, then past whiterock then about halfway down the hill you come to vico baths AKA hawks cliff.
    ireland-1098128375-2004-IE-035.jpg
    I saw some council lads coming up from that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I'm almost convinced I've seen one of those Coastal tour buses along there at some stage, although it's most likely a total figment of my imagination!

There is no way that a bus could even get 10 meters up this road. First of all, the road is way too narrow for even cars to pass each other out in opposite directions let alone buses. Secondly, I don't even think the bends lend enough of their space to the sheer length of a bus. Thirdly, there is nowhere for a bus to turn if it approach's The Vico Road from the north. It would essentially be trapped with nowhere to go other than to reverse the bus the entire way back along the road. That would be incredibly dangerous though not to mention obstructive!

Anyway, back to the main topic. I know that Vico road is a very sought after part of Dublin to live. However, to be quite honest, I would be nervous if I was living along this stretch of road. There seems to have been quite a number of landslides along this stretch over the last few years which tells me that the land on which the houses were built is not all that stable. Maybe it's a slight over exaggeration.

Rubadub, those clouds in the photo look incredibly sinister. When was that taken?

Rubadub, those clouds in the photo look incredibly sinister. When was that taken?
    I love that pic, found it a while back on this site.
    http://www.irelandscape.com/image_details.php?photo_id=409
    Author's Comments: Taken early in the morning, during October 2004.
    The picture shows Killiney Bay, Bray Head and the Wicklow Mountains.
    The Great Sugar Loaf is visible in the background.
    They have since put in more railings and ladder steps into the water.

Actually I just see now the same guy has photos of the new ladder bit.
    ireland-1262084170-%2720091228-_DSC0286.jpg%27
    ireland-1099848540-2004-IE-043.jpg
    http://www.irelandscape.com/display_location.php?location_id=227

The roads are very tight around there. When up there last week I saw 2 big delivery trucks come out of a house after whiterock, they went down vico road the wrong way down the one way section, dunno how they got around the tight bend there. They might not have fit up the other bit which I think goes up to the arches near the druids glen pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Good 1
    copy.pngfavicon.icofavicon.ico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

The one way was not always one way. Buses haven't used that bit of road for a good few years as far as I know, but double deck tour buses definitely did use it back in the 1990s. The buses will fit no bother, they just daren't meet anything coming the other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

seems odd that the road is still closed (last time I passed) surely the council have to clear it sometime? I say the residents don't mind it being quieter but still a public road which should be sorted :confused:

seems odd that the road is still closed (last time I passed) surely the council have to clear it sometime? I say the residents don't mind it being quieter but still a public road which should be sorted :confused:

yeah, I was up there last week and its still closed off which I thought was odd.
    I wonder why they haven't done anything about it yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah, I was up there last week and its still closed off which I thought was odd.
    I wonder why they haven't done anything about it yet.

Tbh i'd say the residents have told the council "look you have no money do fix it, we prefer not being used as a through run... so take your time:cool:"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sorry, one more from me today;)

Vico Road finally reopened!

• Advertisement

xia wrote: »
    Vico Road finally reopened!
    Yes, I meant to post too, I was there on sunday and it was open, they have horrible looking plates bolted onto the area which had come down.

Advertisement