Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External House Rendering

• 19-01-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My house is rendered. I recently had insulation pumped into the walls and now there are marks where they drilled holes in the walls to pump in the insulation. Also the previous owners converted the garage and instead of rendering they painted it and painted over the render on that part of the house. The rest of the neighbours on our road have painted their houses, but I think it looks a bit patchy and also dont want the upkeep hassle. Is it possible to get the entire house re-rendered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I've seen plenty of houses rendered with a pre colored coating, never have to paint wall's again for 20 or more years, not sure on guarantee details. It's just like plaster, mixed with a color die and sprayed onto walls, finished with by hand. Choice of colors. I seen one prob when rending going on, raining at time, die ran out which left a streaky look. Apart from that, all others I know of are holding up well. Worth checking out, try a web search, coloured external render.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A new sand cement render would be more expensive than painting your house. Coloured Renders are more expensive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MBin

Thanks for you replies but what I'm trying to find out really is if it's possible to render my house when it has previously been rendered. I've been told it's not, that my only option is to paint it, that the new render wouldn't stick to the old render!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Hi

Sorry it's a bit off your topic. But how much was it to have the insulation pumped into the walls. Have you found it to be effective?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Rendering over render is very difficult, for a good bond you would have to hack off the existing render and start a fresh - time consuming, noisy, messy work.

Why didn't your Insulation installer fill the holes with render to match the existing walls?

• Advertisement

Unwilling wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry it's a bit off your topic. But how much was it to have the insulation pumped into the walls. Have you found it to be effective?
    Thanks

It cost €1100 to have the walls done (4 bed detached house), and I've applied for the grant so that's €400 towards it. I also had the attic done by the same company. To qualify for the grants you have to apply for two of the grants available on the first application, so that's the two I went with. It definitely makes a difference, well worth the money. My parents & parents in law have both had it done also and say the same thing. You should read up on the SEI website about getting the grants, I've heard a lot of people get the insulation done thinking they can apply for the grant after, you can't, and you have to apply for 2 of the grants on your initial application to qualify. And you cant just go with anyone to have the job done, there is a list on the SEI website of approved contractors.

RKQ wrote: »
    Rendering over render is very difficult, for a good bond you would have to hack off the existing render and start a fresh - time consuming, noisy, messy work.

Why didn't your Insulation installer fill the holes with render to match the existing walls?

Hmmm, that's kind of what I was told by my friend alright, I was really hoping they were wrong. Ah well.

I didn't really think to ask the insulation installer to fill the holes with the same render, none of my neighbours have had it done so it's not something that crossed my mind beforehand.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement