Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching to Psychology through science.

• 19-01-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I am currently a first year doing arts in UCD, which I amn't really enjoying. I am doing psychology as one of my subjects which I am really enjoying. I only have 490 points and am thinking of switching from arts in UCD to Psychology through science in Maynooth. I've always liked science so I think this course may be a suitable fit. At the moment I have no course satisfaction other than doing the few psychology modules. If anyone on here does this course, can you give me first impressions and general information? Even things you hate would really be appreciated. One thing I am apprehensive about is moving to Maynooth or finding a viable way to get to Maynooth each day from Dundrum. If anyone on here has made the big move please tell me about your experience and how enjoyable its been or if you are Dublin commuters, tell me about how you get there and all the possible frustration associated with it.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

:confused: Bumpty bump :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Okay, well I started in this course and I hated it so I switched to pure science. It's a 4 year course and you've already done a half a year so maybe you could think of transferring to second Psychology because after first year, you go single honours so maybe you could try and get one of the places offered to arts? Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Thucydides

I know of a girl in NUIM who entered Pshychology through Science a few years ago now. It wasn't her oringinal plan on entering Uni - that was Science - but she wasn't happy and made the switch.

She graduated with a 1.1 in Psychology last September if I recall correctly. So, I guess it went well in the end.

I've dropped / changed courses I don't like myself over the years so don't be afriad to do so.

My advice overall would be to sit down, weigh up the pros and cons and make the decision. Remember the deeper you get into a course, the harder it is to get out. Not to mention you will no doubt be making a career out of your chosen subject.

Choose wisely. Make sure your happy with your decision and can stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

DCU are offering a Psychology degree for the 1st time this year have you considered it. You may find the commuting easier. Also 490 may get you in as points for the 1st year entry on any new course usually comes in lower than in other colleges due to it not having a track history.

Try get some career guidance before making a final decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

My sis did that course.

A lot of work and a lot of hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Yeah I heard about DCU, but the journey there would be quite baaad everyday. I was thinking of moving to Maynooth. Need some serious thought I think.

Advertisement