Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPA Code of Practise for one offs

Options
  • 19-01-2010 5:13pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭

To discuss all matters relating to topic only!!!

Got word today that the Dept OEHLG sent out a circular to all county councils to implement EPA Code of Practice Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Systems serving Single Houses immediately.available here: http://www.epa.ie/downloads/advice/water/wastewater/keegan_report_web.pdf

One particular council is asking for €750 (YES!!! $750.00 !!) to carry out epa tests.....

this particular council have decided that they alone will do the tests within their county, for that figure (which is probably twice the market value, for those who are interested). This county has a bad track record for not carrying out sr6 tests to the full requirements of the regulation, so its a bit rich that they now can deem themselves capable to carry out epa test, which are a lot more time consuming and time-schedule based.

Another (neighbouring) county are charging €550

our office is on the approved list in 5 different counties, yet our closest two counties dont seem to trust us to carry out these tests

how have others viewed this requirement??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Donegal co co have been using this as a benchmark for several years now -yes, we lead and the rest of you follow ;)

All site assessments are carried out privately in advance of the application and the planning dept have an approved panel of assessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

What you mean thats the end of our beloved SR6 here in Mayo, Dogs testicles!!!! This will be fun!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muffler wrote: »
    Donegal co co have been using this as a benchmark for several years now -yes, we lead and the rest of you follow ;)

All site assessments are carried out privately in advance of the application and the planning dept have an approved panel of assessors.

that is also the situation in many counties i know of... Kildare, Carlow, Tipp, Kilkenny.

Im wondering if the counties that are only introducing it now actually realise the workload involved.

I was just talking to my Trial Hole assessor and he was telling me that the test has been revised in the new manual and they are looking for it to be done no more than a month before the applciation goes in and that he really needs a house almost designed with all site levels worked out to complete the test in accordance with the revised requirements. Have any of you come accross this? it is ridiculous to my mind in a Conuty like Mayo where half the sites fail anyway to go to the expense of desingn a house before the percolation tests are done? I use the perc test to determine the viablity of a site in the first place.

My guy is also charging 550 is that reasonable do you think. I know a few more people who would probably do it cheaper but I like the lad I use because he is honest in his reports (my clients don't always like him) if it fails it fails!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

sydthebeat wrote: »
    One particular council is asking for €750 (YES!!! $750.00 !!) to carry out epa tests.....

this particular council have decided that they alone will do the tests within their county, for that figure (which is probably twice the market value, for those who are interested).

look at the time involved, the photographs maps, travel, the risk factor (yes when polishing beds fail for what ever reason (poss poorly constructed ) guess who's in the firing line.........

surely you dont mean that 750 is dear. i would have thought that teh true cost depending on site should be approx €1000 + vat.

if the co co can and are doing them for 500 or 800 then off with them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

look at the time involved, the photographs maps, travel, the risk factor (yes when polishing beds fail for what ever reason (poss poorly constructed ) guess who's in the firing line.........

surely you dont mean that 750 is dear. i would have thought that teh true cost depending on site should be approx €1000 + vat.

if the co co can and are doing them for 500 or 800 then off with them.

i am judging this on two merits...

1. comparing to what other local authorities charge
    2. comparing it to market value.

Maybe we should have a survey on what counties do the test and what they charge and what counties let you get your assessor to test them for you and average prices!! Personally I would be pretified to let any Co Council do my testing on any site :eek:!!!

Advertisement