Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are dealers so out of touch with their prices

• 19-01-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

When looking at adverts for a 520D, Automatic, 2009 model, etc most are around €40K+
    when you check this on the revenue VRT site just to get an idea of the OMSP you get an OMSP of €33,600 for this spec. Do they really need to look at their pricing..... no wonder people are still going to the UK would they not be better putting a more realistic price on their cars and encourage people to shop at home. You can pick this up in UK from £23K say €26,200+VRT of €6,700 = € 32,900 plus whatever transport costs you want to allow for etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

skippy2 wrote: »
    When looking at adverts for a 520D, Automatic, 2009 model, etc most are around €40K+

You can get a 2010 base model 520d for that price now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

If they price high then some fool might buy off them for €36000+ and they make a bigger profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hence why it's so important to shops around, research and last but not least haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

I know, bought a new i30 deluxe last year, paid nearly 25k for it. Was over at the inlaws in Slovakia then before christmas and seen an advert on tv for the same car for 13k. I know where i'll be going to gett my knew one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I know, bought a new i30 deluxe last year, paid nearly 25k for it. Was over at the inlaws in Slovakia then before christmas and seen an advert on tv for the same car for 13k. I know where i'll be going to gett my knew one.

Just check your suitcase when you get back, you might just get more than you bargained for..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Best to go to the UK, unfortunately Irish dealers by and large can't compete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would not buy a brand new car from an Irish dealer for the life of me....Quite happy to go abroad and buy and bring home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Re my OP above tried to do a deal and as suggested by Magnus... Haggle, Haggle Haggle.. with a few dealers on a 520d and most anyone would budge fromv €40K was to €38K......... said I was being encouraged to go to UK but would prefer to give an Irish dealer the cash, they do not seem to be interested in selling even with the new model coming round the corner which will obviously hit the 09 models resale etc. As i said UK seems to be calling and more money leaving the country and more dealers will go out of business unless they decided to get realistic with pricing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I for one will never buy a car in Ireland ever again.

The difference in the level in service and price is unbelieveable.

I got picked up from the airport driven about 40 miles by the company i bought the car from. Can anyone imagine that happening here?

The prices are better and the specs are better in the UK.

I dont uderstand why anyone would buy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why would you check the revenue website for an OMSP - they don't have a clue what cars are worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

steve06 wrote: »
    Why would you check the revenue website for an OMSP - they don't have a clue what cars are worth!

They don't need a clue, they get told the OSMP by importers/dealers and that's what they use to calculate VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If all of the above was said and done a few years ago maybe Ireland would have been better off than it is right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

do BMW's bought through dealers in the north, cost the same as in the rest of the uk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wish they got rid of VRT and upped the price of fuel instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I wouldnt dream of buying a car here in Ireland based on the prices on offer. You would want to be mad unless you won the lotto or something and even with that you would still be quite mad to buy here. Better cars in the UK with higher spec and best of all they will be cheaper. If dealers here are asking too much for a new car that isnt worth that value then they deserve to be out of business full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The prices in many cases now are similar to uk. There has been a big change in balance between here & uk in the last year or so.
    Depending on what you want to buy, there can be savings but on the other hand, some of the bigger engined stuff is far cheaper here than trying to import

Advertisement