Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425

• 19-01-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I know there have been a lot of threads on this Cable/wireless modem. Have the 20mb with UPC but when I use the wireless it drops so often.

Upgraded all the drivers for the network adapters on all of the laptops in the house and it still drops. When you plug them into the modem it works fine. The Wireless is just inconsistent.

Has anyone experienced this before? And have you figured out a solution or changed modems.

I was think of buying a seperate wireless router and bridging it to the current one if this is actually a problem with the modem itself.

Any help would be appreciated. I searched the other threads but didn't find the answer I was looking for. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

getting a new router will solve most of the problems. getting a new router and a new modem will solve all your problems. thats what i've done, and havent looked back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    getting a new router will solve most of the problems. getting a new router and a new modem will solve all your problems. thats what i've done, and havent looked back since.

Thats what I was thinking on doing. Can you recommend the best modem and router to purchase?

Thanks for your quick response Tea_Bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Before you go spending your cash check that you dont have interference coming from your old cordless phone , or next door has wireless on the same channel as you do. By default UPC will have you on channel 11. Change it to 12 or whatever is not used around you (run scan and see what channels are used by others). Test this before you spend your money.

Before you go spending your cash check that you dont have interference coming from your old cordless phone , or next door has wireless on the same channel as you do. By default UPC will have you on channel 11. Change it to 12 or whatever is not used around you (run scan and see what channels are used by others). Test this before you spend your money.

Don't have an old cordless phone and I have already set the channel to 12 based on previous advice and monitor the other Wireless in the area to make sure our channel isn't the same but it stills drops consistently.

Just to add from reading up it seems im not the only one with problems with this modem when it comes to Wireless. But I have never found a solid solution. As we speak I had it connected to the wireless and now it disconnected and now can't even find the wireless.

• Advertisement

Do you get good signal? Router is not in metal cage? :D
    Try turning off router , remove and then connect antenna back to the router and have it in upright position. Wait 1 minute and turn the router back on.

EDIT: you might have a faulty router. Call support and explain your problem. They might first re-flash the router and if that doesn’t fix it then they should send you replacement. I have the same router and its excellent IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I have the same router and its excellent IMO.

I had the same router and it's full of bugs, the firmware looks like it was written by some 10 year olds, the bugs were in almost every section of the firmware. Really it's a piece of crap. Finally went back to the Scientific Atlanta modem and a proper firewall/router combo and have been happy ever since.

I strongly advise the op to try the same route.

Do you get good signal? Router is not in metal cage? :D
    Try turning off router , remove and then connect antenna back to the router and have it in upright position. Wait 1 minute and turn the router back on.

EDIT: you might have a faulty router. Call support and explain your problem. They might first re-flash the router and if that doesn’t fix it then they should send you replacement. I have the same router and its excellent IMO.

Router out in the open. Tried all the turning on and off and nothing.

As for the faulty router all you have to do is google and it seems to be a common trend with these routers. UPC have told me there is no issue with them.

Oh and the signal bar is always up full.

bealtine wrote: »
    I had the same router and it's full of bugs, the firmware looks like it was written by some 10 year olds, the bugs were in almost every section of the firmware. Really it's a piece of crap. Finally went back to the Scientific Atlanta modem and a proper firewall/router combo and have been happy ever since.

This is the first modem we got from UPC. What model is the Scientific Atlanta you have?

What I really need is model numbers of quality modems and routers at this point to be honest. I have lost faith in this Cisco one and feel even if UPC replace with the same model it will never work properly either.

TWhat model is the Scientific Atlanta you have?

What I really need is model numbers of quality modems

EPC 2203 and any decent broadband router (not dsl router).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You do realize that the Scientific Atlanta modem has exactly the same firmware as the Cisco modem, as the Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta some time ago and this Cisco modem is just a rebranded Scientific Atlanta modem.

I do agree that the firmware is rather pathetic and hope they improve it...

Where would be the best place to look for a new cable modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Try and pester UPC in to giving you a new modem say you want to set up a network and that the Cisco cant do that they will hopefully replace it with a SA modem. it worked for Tea_bag

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You cannot buy a cable modem you have to use the one supplied by UPC.

I dont get it. if you are looking at the firmware it's UPC specific one for their network. If you get another wireless router all you can do is bridging but your point of entry is still UPC router so you still have to use their router with their firmware.

I dont get it. if you are looking at the firmware it's UPC specific one for their network. If you get another wireless router all you can do is bridging but your point of entry is still UPC router so you still have to use their router with their firmware.

We are discussing the Cisco router NOT the EPC2203.
    The SA (EPC2203) modem is mostly a pass-through modem e.g a bridge so therefore you need a separate router/firewall combo.

The Cisco router tries to be very clever and do everything but ends up doing most things incorrectly.

Ah, my bad, thanks for the correction.

I had the same issue as you are having. It took a while and a few calls to UPC but they eventually agreed to provision a new standalone cable modem for us so I could use my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

[15 mbit/phone/valuepack telly]

So far, that standard Cisco 'wireless' router craps out at every available opportunity.
    I believe it's perfectly good if you're wired, but it seems as if that antenna is little more
    than window dressing. Had to kill off the firewall (from advice given here) to stop getting
    packet loss of up to 88%.

Before I go troubling the customer support people, can I retain it for TV/phone purposes,
    but daisy-chain my unused Belkin wireless G+ MIMO router? I'll live with any latency as the
    speeds (when the cisco isn't actually comatose) are otherwise terrific.

Already changed the channel to 1; neighbour is on 6. This is written from my as yet,
    un-cancelled eircom 7 mbit account.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

So far (touchwood), updating usb adapters on the 3 PCs accessing the Cisco are now rock solid and the WiFI seems to be retaining authorisation. This after a UPC customer service recommendation (Ta folks for getting back so soon) and a thread on here that I clearly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hey guys,

Im having the same issue on this aswell, UPC just randomly disconnects the signal for no reason at all.....

I wonder is it an area problem?

My friend who lives 10 mins away is having the same issue as me.....

I live in D9 area.....

Update on my issue:

NTL/UPC sent out an Engineer. When he saw the Cisco modem he laughed and he was here less than 5 mins and he gave me a Netgear Router and set it up so my wireless runs off the Netgear router. He disabled the Wireless on the Cisco modem/router.

Call them get an engineer and the engineer will most likely solve the problem for you. Wireless is working with no hassles now.

Update on my issue:

NTL/UPC sent out an Engineer. When he saw the Cisco modem he laughed and he was here less than 5 mins and he gave me a Netgear Router and set it up so my wireless runs off the Netgear router. He disabled the Wireless on the Cisco modem/router.

Call them get an engineer and the engineer will most likely solve the problem for you. Wireless is working with no hassles now.

Hmm, ill see how I go a while before calling out an engineer....

Thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I don't see the option in it. Also it seems to loose its settings and default from time to time which is a pain.

I'd like it to just do the modem job so I can hook up a linux firewall to it.

Sounds like maybe the engineer has access to a menu in it that we don't that can enable bridging mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Bricks, as far as I know there isn't a way of bridging it, but if you complain enough you should get given a Scientific Atlanta modem and that'll sort you out.

If you search for EPC2425 on boards you should find out about people who've had similar issues, there is a definite ICMP issue that manifests in tracerouting somehow, so if you grab on that you can make them give you the modem.

I asked for the modem at install time and was given it no questions asked, install guy was very understanding.

the_law wrote: »
    Bricks, as far as I know there isn't a way of bridging it, but if you complain enough you should get given a Scientific Atlanta modem and that'll sort you out.

If you search for EPC2425 on boards you should find out about people who've had similar issues, there is a definite ICMP issue that manifests in tracerouting somehow, so if you grab on that you can make them give you the modem.

I asked for the modem at install time and was given it no questions asked, install guy was very understanding.

If there is no way to bridge them how do you explain what I have then? I have the EPC2425 and now after the Engineer came I have Netgear Wireless G router connected to it. I can no longer connect to the wireless on the EPC2425 but can through the Netgear one. Works perfectly.

As for the other modem I complained a lot in the last 3 weeks and their solution was to send the engineer and low and behold he actually solved the problem. Nice guy to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

If there is no way to bridge them how do you explain what I have then? I have the EPC2425 and now after the Engineer came I have Netgear Wireless G router connected to it. I can no longer connect to the wireless on the EPC2425 but can through the Netgear one. Works perfectly.

This is explained by the Netgear acting as an access point, and the EPC2425 acting as a router and DHCP server.

There are other possibilities, but plug a laptop into another ethernet port of the EPC2425. If it's a bridge, you should get a public IP DHCP'd to you on your laptop. However, I suspect you'll get a private IP and be routed by the Cisco.

Your problem seems to have been with the Cisco's wireless, which was resolved by the disabling of the Cisco wireless and the use of the Netgear as access point. The Cisco routing and DHCP must be fine.

This is after happening me twice in a row now, luckily I havent been playing any online games and this happening!

Think a call out and looking for a scientific atlanta modem is the only way to go....

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've been having problems too trying to bridge that router. I've had people more network techie than me trying to bridge it for me but the router won't bridge. Its retaining all the internet management stuff despite the DHCP server switched off and the firewall switched off.

Also IRC is either blocked or hampered some way by the router. I use IRC alot so i need it working :) Explanation of what happens here http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=217020&Searchpage=1&Main=40334&Words=cisco+2425&topic=0&Search=true&PHPSESSID=af#Post217020

IRC can't find my public IP/DNS and it cannot function properly because of it. Post #18 in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62796755 is too circumstantial so it has to be the router and as the_law says here, it must be blocking ICMP packets.
    Nothing was changed on the PC end in the changeover to the Cisco router from the working Scientific/Netgear combo. Even webchat from Undernet.org doesnt work on the Cisco!!

Anyway, i rang UPC up to complain about the lack of the bridge capability and they confirmed to me on the phone that the router is indeed unbridgeable. They are 'investigating' the IRC issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gurramok wrote: »
    Anyway, i rang UPC up to complain about the lack of the bridge capability and they confirmed to me on the phone that the router is indeed unbridgeable. They are 'investigating' the IRC issue :)

Bugger. I have a great linksys router that I'd love to have handle my routing. Is the original SA much better? If so I might ask them to give me one of those instead.

Advertisement