Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

SA seemed fine to me but I never really messed around with it to comment on its performance. Stick with a cable modem on its own, not the all in one piece like the Cisco.
    I had the SA since day 1 with no problems whatsoever though. They had unexpectedly changed it when i ordered a landline.

Hint hint: don't order new stuff from them like I did or you will have to barricade your gaff to stop them changing your setup to the Cisco! :D:)

Also they did say on the phone that they are rolling out the Cisco's to everyone, 'thats their goal' but a work colleague did say that must be BS because these modems can't handle high speeds like 60MB which UPC are supposed to be planning for later on in the year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

your work colleague sounds like a very wise individual indeed! ;)

seriously tho, from what i have read, the 60-120mbps upgrades that are due in august this year will be using the newer euroDOCSIS3.0 standard which neither the current cisco or scientific atlanta will be compatible with even if they got a big firmware upgrade, so come August the engineers dishing out new modems once again.

All i can say is, fingers crossed the UPC R&D dept. do a better job of picking deccent hardware when the time comes or it'll be a non-runner from the word go!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Got the EPC2425 installed over the weekend.

I've had nothing but problems with it. Wireless dropout, random rebooting, not storing configuration settings, the list goes on.

I've made a complaint, and an technician will be out during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Hope someone can help with this.

I called NTL today to ask them to swap out my EPC2425 for a bog standard cable modem as I am connecting a new Linksys WRT120N Router.

We have 3 Xbox in the house and only one can get open NAT at any given time so this is the reason for the change.

The girl on the phone told me there is no need to swap out the router as she can disable everything from her end and turn the box into a basic cable modem.

I told here I need EVERYTHING turned off and she said that's what they will do and my new Router will handle all the security, porting and the like.

Will it work, connecting my new router to there EPC2425 router!!

jetpack101 wrote: »
    The girl on the phone told me there is no need to swap out the router as she can disable everything from her end and turn the box into a basic cable modem.

I told here I need EVERYTHING turned off and she said that's what they will do and my new Router will handle all the security, porting and the like.

Will it work, connecting my new router to there EPC2425 router!!

No :)

She told you differently to what I was told! (and not a single forum poster here has detailed a successful bridge of the router so far)

Unbridgeable is the word :)

• Advertisement

OK, just got on to UPC and got no where with them. They then told me to contact Linksys as they could help me out.

I did this and they where fantastic.
    Not sure what she did but its working now.

She got me to do something like clone my PC's Mac Address
    SETUP> MAC Address Clone

She then told me to set the router address as follows:
    Local IP Address: 192.168.2.1

Then I reset both routers for 30 seconds and it all came back up working.

The (NTL)EPC2425 only has one wire going from that to the Internet port on the router. The WRT120N has all the other connections.

Also checked my Xbox and it is connecting no problem.
    Hope the information above works for others.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gurramok wrote: »
    No :)

She told you differently to what I was told! (and not a single forum poster here has detailed a successful bridge of the router so far)

Unbridgeable is the word :)

For the gap between UPC and their customers?:)

Just an update to my previous post

As I said before, I got all 3 xbox to connect with open NAT. I figured this was great until I tried to find a game.

I can't find a single game in any lobby. If I leave it, it will eventually find a game after about 10 minutes or so.

I then discovered that while all 3 xbox are on the PC's won't connect to the internet.

After a bit of digging I think the problem could be to do with the fact I am using 2 routers, EPC2425 and WRT120N.

I have said this to UPC but they keep telling me the EPC2425 is set up as a Modem and not a router. I'm not buying that at all. I think it has a modem in it but its a router at hart. So its always going to want to do something like a router.

Thats what i found jetpack101. Its an all-in-one job of router & cable modem & phone. It just has a habit of not letting another router take over its router functionality so I doubt you're Cisco is actually in bridge mode.

So is the only solution to remove the Cisco EPC2425 and get a standard cable modem. Would this fix things.

NTL are reluctant to swap it out. Don't know why.

• Advertisement

Yes it should be. Well, you have to be insistent to get your old modem back as the present router is unsuitable.
    It will take a few phone calls being on hold for at least 30min but you have to be persistent to get the right result. (i'm in same boat)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This POS is driving me mad.

The wireless dropouts are bad enough, but then every once in a while, the wireless turns fully off, and the router admin becomes inaccessible at 192.168.1.1 on LAN.
    Solution? Power cycle the router.

Not ideal when someone else is using the phone. :mad:

The installers are taking their time getting back to me as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

The wifi on the router is dodgy alright, i've noticed some clients not even being able to connect. If you have a spare wireless router / AP you can stick this in to the cisco via ethernet and connect to that one instead.

Currently I'm connecting to the cisco via a wrt54g acting as an wireless ethernet bridge as I don't have a wireless pc card and it's pretty solid. Turning off the firewall improved the performance loads.

In Wireless Bridging, it says 'This page allows configuration of WDS features'

Then there is something called Remote Bridges

What setting do you put in here? I've tried IP and MAC addresses but anytime after I click apply it doesn't remember them.

Anytime, I ask UPC about this they do not know what numbers to put in.

Technician called out today and I kindly asked him to swap out the EPC2425 for a Scientific Atlanta, which he did.

All is well again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

Don't know how long my Cisco device is going to survive the continuous
    power-cycling - at least 4 times every day. 6 times today. [Disregard my last
    status update on the previous page - it only stayed up for 3/4 days before falling
    over at random times. All connections over wifi btw. Haven't tried ethernet
    connections yet]. I've had a ticket in for over 2 weeks now.

Just to add that I haven't had an ounce of trouble since I got the Scientific Atlanta last Saturday. The connection is fast and reliable, and there seems to be no bandwidth issues in my area at any time.

I have it paired with a Linksys 54G running DD-WRT and I cannot recommend it highly enough. SSH tunneling is far handier, and far more secure than having to log into the router to set up temporary port forwarding when I need to access internal hosts from WAN.

^ Jonathan ya big boaster ;-).

Just one small piece of (dodgy) evidence. On two occasions recently
    - when the computer was trying to reacquire the address - the phone
    rang, and it re-acquired immediately. (3in1 service).

I'll move one PC over to ethernet tomorrow, and give it another week
    before giving out yards.

P.S. I'm rubbish at networks, but when I saw the single antenna on the
    EPC2425, I did get a bit anxious.

P.S. P.S. Seems the XP WiFi manager is better at handling the connection
    than the Belkin.
    Early days of course.

This modem doesn't seem to like/retain OpenDNS settings -
    is this just me or another 'feature' of the Cisco?

Same here. It won't retain OpenDNS settings for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

It is a feature of the modem mandated at the highest levels of UPC...or so I was told. They want you to use their DNS servers only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

I was seriously thinking of moving to UPC but after reading through this I'm not at all sure. I need decent, rock solid wireless connectivity to work from home which I have at the moment (don't care that much about the speed for work) so would I be mad to move?

Thanks

delos wrote: »
    I was seriously thinking of moving to UPC but after reading through this I'm not at all sure. I need decent, rock solid wireless connectivity to work from home which I have at the moment (don't care that much about the speed for work) so would I be mad to move?

Thanks

I tested it using VPN for a couple of evenings last week and the connection dropped a few times. Very frustrating when you have citrix applications running.

Never had the problem when i tried VPN on the SA. All in all the wireless is not solid on the Cisco using VPN or not, i gave up on it and just run a cable from the router to the PC. Its more solid since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

I tested it using VPN for a couple of evenings last week and the connection dropped a few times. Very frustrating when you have citrix applications running.

Never had the problem when i tried VPN on the SA. All in all the wireless is not solid on the Cisco using VPN or not, i gave up on it and just run a cable from the router to the PC. Its more solid since then.
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stay put until things settle down as they will have to do something about this eventually. I could run a cable I suppose but my family would be nipping my head if the wireless isn't stable.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

delos wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stay put until things settle down as they will have to do something about this eventually. I could run a cable I suppose but my family would be nipping my head if the wireless isn't stable.....
    you can request a modem only install and state very clearly that you don't want a cisco box, just the regular SA modem and they will usually oblige.

i sometimes work from home and vpn in and I've never had a problem (using my own router not theirs) and as long as I have internet connectivity it's rock solid and stays connected for the whole day.

additionally, when I'm in the office I'm SSH'd into my router at home all day every day anyway and that very rarely drops either, sometimes staying up for days on its own, which is something I never managed with DSL.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you can request a modem only install and state very clearly that you don't want a cisco box, just the regular SA modem and they will usually oblige.

Not always :)

It depends who answers your call. I was promised first a return of my SA modem by one support agent and another subsequently flatly refused to give it back hence i've been forced to make a complaint about my problems.

It just takes alot of your time battling on the phone to get your case across that the problem is at their end with their Cisco router.

And one more thing, you may laugh at this new one by UPC :)

The latest I was told was that they only give technical support for the Cisco 30 days from the date of installation. I might have heard wrong but that was a new one on me!

Not always :)

It depends who answers your call. I was promised first a return of my SA modem by one support agent and another subsequently flatly refused to give it back hence i've been forced to make a complaint about my problems.

It just takes alot of your time battling on the phone to get your case across that the problem is at their end with their Cisco router.

And one more thing, you may laugh at this new one by UPC :)

The latest I was told was that they only give technical support for the Cisco 30 days from the date of installation. I might have heard wrong but that was a new one on me!

Finally got the modem installed after 2 and a half months asking.
    Last Saturday I chewed the face off a Tec guy and let him know that I knew more about networking then he did. The heal of the hunt was that he agreed to swap out the Cisco router and replace it with a standard modem.

They installed it Tuesday gone. When I got home from work I turned on all 3 Xbox and we are finding games no problem and we can all play online together.

At one point we had 3 xbox and 2 PC's running at the same time with no issues.

Its about time to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Been on UPC for a few weeks now. Finding out about the problems with the wireless. My linux server keeps having to restart it's networking. So decided to get a wireless router and disable the wireless on the modem. Can anyone confirm if either this Netgear or this one will work? Any recommendations?

EDIT: Scratch the second router. Some really bad reviews
    /var/log/messages:Mar  7 08:45:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  7 22:45:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  8 02:45:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  8 10:40:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 07:50:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 07:55:02 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 08:10:03 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 08:10:52 diable logger: NETWORKING RESTARTED: Network connection lost , restarted networking
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 18:55:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 18:55:30 diable logger: NETWORKING RESTARTED: Network connection lost , restarted networking
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 20:30:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar  9 20:35:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 05:25:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 05:40:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 09:50:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 09:50:33 diable logger: NETWORKING RESTARTED: Network connection lost , restarted networking
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 15:45:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 15:45:30 diable logger: NETWORKING RESTARTED: Network connection lost , restarted networking
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 15:50:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 16:25:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 16:25:32 diable logger: NETWORKING RESTARTED: Network connection lost , restarted networking
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 16:50:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 17:30:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router
    /var/log/messages:Mar 10 18:10:11 diable logger: NETWORKING: Connection lost to router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I use this router http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=364934
    and have disabled the wireless capabilities of the Cisco EPC245 modem. I will have at least 4 units (laptop, PCs, media device etc) connected up to the router at any one time. Never a problem (so far:D). No rebooting of the Cisco modem/router.

I had the same problem with the Scietific Atlanta modem. It kept rebooting. The replacement Cisco EPC245 seems to have reosolved the issue!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Just thought it might be worth mentioning that I've had no problems with the Cisco router in the last couple of months since I turned off the firewall and UPnP.

Wireless works fine, haven't needed to reset the router ever. Originally I had a problem where browsing the web was ridiculously slow when I had 10+ connections open (i.e.. torrenting), but I'm not having that problem since I've made the fixes that I mentioned above.

So, I'm pretty happy at the moment. Only thing I've noticed is that UPC seem to be capping torrents at about 200Kb/s in the evening (on 10Mb/s connection), is anybody else seeing this?.

Advertisement