Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for NTL

Options
  • 19-01-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

We have our connection with NTL but want to get a wireless router. They wont sell us one unless we're new customers so I'm wondering what one would be reccomended. I read in the FAQ here that some wont work with NTL so I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

Just looking for something cheap, preferably available from amazon, not too bothered about getting a very high-tech one, just one that will work in the house and not make the connection too slow (according to speedtest.net it's currently 7.89mbps)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need what is commonly referred to as a cable router ie one that does not have an integrated dsl modem.

This is one which is often recommended here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264024265&sr=8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

+ 1 for that router. I bought a cheap 2nd hand from ebay with the view to flashing the firmware. Instead I just updated in from linksys s/w and it's been rock solid for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Damn, we have that router -someone gave it to us ages ago but we could never figure out how to set it up- but the power cord is lost. I doubt it's possible to buy just the powercord, is it?

Also ours has only one arial thing on the back, but the one in that picture has two, other than that they're identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

That would be a fairly standard 12v DC 1A PSU. Many other routers/cable modems would be similar

Advertisement