Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Tottenham [Match Thread] Wed 20:00

• 19-01-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

So after the disappointment of Stoke, a quick return to action for Liverpool in this rescheduled tie.

Should be a real humdinger.

At a guess I would go for something like this is the squad

Reina
    --Degen--Carra--Agger--Aurelio--
    Lucas---Masch

Kuyt--Aquilani--Babel

N'gog

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Spearing, Maxi, Riera

I think Aurelio will get the nod ahead of Insua in this one - not really basing it on anything just a hunch. I'd also be shocked if Aquilani and N'gog aren't two of the attacking four to start. Babel and Kuyt are most questionable calls and a lot would depend on how Rafa rates Maxi and Riera in terms of their fitness.
    I think Pacheco and Darby might be the two who don't make the squad.
    If Agger (who is the only player in the doubtful category) doen't make it then, I would except Skrtel to get the nod ahead of Kyrgiakos (even after Saturday) and Darby the one promoted to the benchas defensive cover. With Aquilani, Babel, Kuyt, Maxi and Riera all in the squad I think Pacheco might need to be a bit patient on the bench for a while yeat, especially when Gerrard and Benayoun are back.

Doubtful : Agger - groin problem; decision tomorrow
    Injured : Torres, Gerrard, Benayoun, Johnson, Kelly, El Zhar
    Ryan will be in the squad. We have 20 players ready for the training session and he is among these 20 players."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Gomes
    Corluka - Dawson - Bassong - Bale
    Krancjar - Jenas - Palacios - Modric
    Crouch - Defoe

Subs : Alnick, Keane, Bentley, Rose, dos Santos, Pav, King

Huddlestone & Lennon are injured, otherwise both would start. Despite the fears of Liverpool fans I don't see Spurs winning this one as we just cannot buy a win against the Sky 4 away from home. Having said that, I don't expect us to roll over. We've had 5 clean sheets in a row in the league so our defence is definitely improving. The question is whether our midfield can provide the spark to put Crouch and Defoe in scoring positions, and of course whether or not Liverpool turn up on the night.

This is probably the best chance Spurs have of beating Liverpool in Anfield due to the problems with the home team.

1 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I see a draw or loss for spurs unless Liverpool are really really dire it must be a mental thing but we just can't win at anfield:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

If managerless reading can win at anfield no reason why we cant , having said that i'd take a point now before a ball is kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Quite frankly despite Liverpool's ongoing woes, I have no faith in Spurs to pull of a result tomorrow night, or make it into the top four. They simply haven't the balls or the brains for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I have sooooo little faith in Liverpool scoring atm. I'm struggling to take positives out of what I see on the pitch. Creativity is at an all time low. A hatrick from Maxi would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Taking my son to the game tomorrow night,fingers crossed for a decent result.
    Im expecting a big atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then no-one has any confidence of either team winning, sounds about right. I wouldn't mind going with Kuyt and N'Gog up front, that way the former can't kill pace on the wing.

Reina
    Degan--Carra-Agger-Aurelio
    Masch
    Maxi
    Aquilani
    Babel
    Kuyt
    NGog

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Lucas, Riera, Pacheco

mike65 wrote: »
    So then no-one has any confidence of either team winning, sounds about right. I wouldn't mind going with Kuyt and N'Gog up front, that way the former can't kill pace on the wing.
    Well Gomes and back four in good form 6 clean sheets in a row never won a match where bale has started tho.

I'm terribly nervous about it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Reina
    Masch
    Maxi
    Aquilani
    Babel
    Kuyt
    NGog

Would be surprised if we went with two up front ahead of two in midfield.

Spurs haven't conceeded since their game against Wolves on December 12.
    Surely Spurs must be ready to conceed.
    Really glad Lennon is out for Spurs as I could see his pace causing problems.
    Also a bit wary of the curse of former players with one of Crouch or Keane to feature. Defoe will probably be the major threat though given how he has performed this season. Cant see him not being on the plane to South Africa unless he picks up a knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Spurs must win this. Liverpool haven't played well for a while, and were poor against Reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Reina
    Masch
    Maxi
    Aquilani
    Babel
    Kuyt
    NGog

I cant see Rafa dropping Lucas tbh

I'd love to see Maxi starting

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Maxi starting
    I think he will to be honest. the time for caution is gone. This a big six pointer for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Dreading this game, I expect Spurs to walk all over Liverpool.

0-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What I think we will see:

Reina

Carra
    Agger----Skrtel
    Insua

Lucas----Mascherano

Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Aurelio

N'Gog

What I would like to see:

Reina

Degen
    Carra----Agger
    Aurelio

Lucas----Mascherano

Maxi
    Aquilani
    Riera

N'Gog

Tusky wrote: »

Reina

Carra
    Agger----Skrtel
    Insua

Lucas----Mascherano

Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Aurelio

N'Gog

Reina

Degen
    Carra----Agger
    Aurelio

Lucas----Mascherano

Maxi
    Aquilani
    Riera

N'Gog
    Has Rierra's injury cleared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well he was on the bench against Stoke so I assume so. I'm sure he could play 60 odd minutes.

Well he was on the bench against Stoke so I assume so. I'm sure he could play 60 odd minutes.
    Oh only saw the brief highlights on Saturday. yeah good to have him back although he hasnt been firing on all cylinders this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Team i'd like to see tomorrow.

Pepe

Degen
    Carra----Agger
    Aurelio

Lucas----Mascherano

Maxi
    Aquilani
    Riera

N'Gog

Been back training for almost two weeks , would be surprised to see him start, given his lack of game time. Strong bet for a sub appearance though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

like the look of that team, fairly well balanced. Just like before the stoke game, Any kind of a win will do, I don't particularly care about the performance. 3 points is a must. It would put us in a very good position given how poorly we have played so far this season.
    If we can keep close when our top 3 scorers are missing, we will be sorted for 4th by the end of the sesason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If we can keep close when our top 3 scorers are missing, we will be sorted for 4th by the end of the sesason

Hasnt rafa guaranteed 4th spot this season ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He has.

We need no luck.

All shall be right come end of May

(the sound you hear could be me whistling past the grave yard)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

BERBA wrote: »
    Hasnt rafa guaranteed 4th spot this season ?

Yep, point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I have sooooo little faith in Liverpool scoring atm.

we've only failed to score four times in the league this season and only twice in the last three months, i dont see why you should be worried about us scoring, you should be worried about our defending though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Reina

Carra
    Agger----Skrtel
    Insua

Lucas----Mascherano

Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Aurelio

N'Gog

Reina

Degen
    Carra----Agger
    Aurelio

Lucas----Mascherano

Maxi
    Aquilani
    Riera

N'Gog

I'd say your first line-up is a cert, with the possible exception of Maxi coming in for Aquilani.

I think Rafa will go with Carra and Kuyt on the right, because Spurs have a very dangerous left-flank.

I don't think Babel will get near the team, but hopefully Riera will at least get off the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

has aquilani ever palyed behind the striker for pool? Rafa is not going to try something new in a game like this?

kida wrote: »
    has aquilani ever palyed behind the striker for pool? Rafa is not going to try something new in a game like this?
    Aquilani from what i have seen of him is a link up player. plays short 1-2 passes to speed the play. Will be curious to see what Rafa does with him now that Masch is back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No way i can see Liverpool losing this game

(boards curse FTW!) ;)

i really dont think Spurs have the ability to go there and win, well maybe the mentality is a better word

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »

(boards curse FTW!) ;)

i really dont think Spurs have the ability to go there and win, well maybe the mentality is a better word
    league form hasnt been bad in the last few weeks to be fair. 10 from our last twelve. Think we will win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Isn't there some crazy stat like Spurs haven't won away against the big four in 10+ years?

Isn't there some crazy stat like Spurs haven't won away against the big four in 10+ years?
    shsh. You'll jinx us. We don't need bad karma on us at the moment :D

Aquilani from what i have seen of him is a link up player. plays short 1-2 passes to speed the play. Will be curious to see what Rafa does with him now that Masch is back

not what I asked - was wondering has he played in that pistion yet?

not what I asked - was wondering has he played in that position yet?
    No has been playing in cm but has been getting into the box the odd time as well

kryogen wrote: »

(boards curse FTW!) ;)

This is the issue with the Spurs team in its current and previous incarnations - they just don't have the guts to win in a match like this. Things have changed and our away record is excellent this season (second best in the league I think) but it's the crunch games, like this one, that we rarely perform in. I'm hoping things change tonight and I'd take a draw, though as I said earlier we'll never have a better chance to beat Liverpool at home than tonight, so hopefully the lads are up for it.

• Advertisement

Yup, this is embarrassingly true. Plus, Gareth Bale hasn't won a Premiership game that he's started in 2.5 years with Spurs, and he starts tonight!

No has been playing in cm but has been getting into the box the odd time as well

exactly - thats why I can't see Rafa playing him somewhere he has not played yet in such a big match - will be tried and tested tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

SuprSi wrote: »
    Yup, this is embarrassingly true. Plus, Gareth Bale hasn't won a Premiership game that he's started in 2.5 years with Spurs, and he starts tonight!

Spurs a cert to win so.

PiE wrote: »
    Spurs a cert to win so.
    He has been very unfortunate to be honest hampered by injuries and BAE good form but in 22 starts no wins which is a really annoying stat because he's actually a fantastic attacking full back even if his defensive abilities are lacking a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Dunno why people try & predict Rafa's teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I like a little bit of 2/1 for a Spurs win, depending on how funds are after backing a few nags today. Defoe better score for fantasy football purposes. He's my cpatain. :(

daosulli wrote: »
    Dunno why people try & predict Rafa's teams
    because we clearly know better than him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Sorry if this has been asked but is it on tv ?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked but is it on tv ?
    live on sky sports AFAIK and the usual sopcast channels as well i would assume

Ya sky sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2-4

100/1

5 big ones.

by all means go for that bet boggles ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

by all means go for that bet boggles ;)

It's done, Paddy power will honour it too. you know what that means?

Did you join the witness protection program?

Or was the name change to deflect from the bet you renegade on?

Pretty sure he played there in the reserve game he made his first appearance in. Not quite a first-team appearance but looked well suited to it and I wouldn't be surprised if he played there tonight.

Does anyone else think this match could be cat Liverpool don't play with much width and spurs-lennon means the two croats will be both cutting in from the wings Gareth Bale will provide the only real width for spurs to be honest

• Advertisement
Advertisement