Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Tottenham [Match Thread] Wed 20:00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

monkey9 wrote: »
    This is our year, Mickey!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think so.....................?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

flahavaj wrote: »
    Nah its over. Big chance to show they had the mettle tonight and let themselves down spectacularly. Ye'll finish 7th at best.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well i don't mind eating humble pie with the Greek lad. it seems he played another stormer.

it'll take more than tonight to have me convinced we've turned any sort of corner, but well done to the lads and Rafa.

a big, big result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mayordenis wrote: »
    It's time for us to piss or get off the pot.
    I say we piss.

Thank Christ, tonight we pissed!!!

Don't think so.....................?

Mickey, please know i am being sarcastic. PLEASE KNOW THIS!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    Big big win for Liverpool. For all the talk about their failure of a season, it's as a result of the high standards they have set themselves. They still remain, and never really have dropped imo, as the favorites to get 4th place. Unless either City, Spurs or Villa step it up, it'll be Liverpools.

soz PHB, but thats the kiss of death :( no offence but your predictions have a nasty habit of backfiring over the years. van persie as top scorer only to be injured half a season!

you've dug our grave now! :pac:

Being completely honest, Man City are the favourites for that fourth spot!!

Being completely honest, Man City are the favourites for that fourth spot!!

for all their millions, if tevez gets injured, i wouldn't trust adebayor, and definitely not santa cruz.

so they could struggle for goals like us without Torres.

though i do put them marginally favourites right now, but our experience in getting results when necessary might just hold us in good stead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Being honest I cannot see Man City finishing in fourth and the way they played against a team who closed them down fast and made it hard for them, I cannot see them finishing fifthe either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

hmm lets just enjoy the win lads.. lets worry about the next game and at the end of the season see where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

happy to have got my money on you lot to come top 4 on the other day! imagine your shorter odds again now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kryogen wrote: »
    happy to have got my money on you lot to come top 4 on the other day! imagine your shorter odds again now

what odds you get us on? I popped 50 on at 7/4 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Easy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Albert ****in' Riera!

Always liked the guy, first choice winger no doubt.

Happy as Larry! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

~Rebel~ wrote: »

12/5, figured if i was gonna back ye it may aswel be before the spurs game in case it came down!

city being 4/5 was ridiculous to say the least!

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    12/5, figured if i was gonna back ye it may aswel be before the spurs game in case it came down!

city being 4/5 was ridiculous to say the least!

Absolutely! Great price you got, wish i'd gone looking sooner :(

Didn't the bookies realise Rafa gave his personal Guarantee?

Thats gotta be the...
    smooth+jimmy.jpg
    ...lock of the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Well played pool, ye kicked our arse:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good man Harry.
    Redknapp wrote:
    "You come here to Anfield, you stand there and listen to that crowd, and it's the greatest sight in football".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Booed off against Reading away.
    Booed off against Stoke away.
    Booed off against Reading at home.

:rolleyes:

Also were the better team tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Good win for Liverpool, that can't be understated, especially against Spurs who are also competiting for 4th place. Aquilani was very good.

I'm not sure whether it was because I was so far back from the screen in the pub but I couldn't see Lucas at all and didn't even realise he was on until the second half. Was that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

d22ontour wrote: »

I agree the booing by a minority in those games was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

All of a sudden, this is looking quite good:

Torres
    Riera
    Maxi
    Aquilani
    Gerrard

Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

our first choice team & bench is ****ing quality. its injuries & bad luck resulting in under performance & no confidence that has ****ed us up this season.

All of a sudden, this is looking quite good:

Torres
    Riera
    Maxi
    Aquilani
    Gerrard

Mascherano

That it is, with a very healthy bench potentially featuring the likes of Kuyt, Yossi, Lucas, Ngog, Pacheco and Babel (and now even Degen as an attacking option) for those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just got on this thread now, thought we did well tonight considering the personnel available.

We've really missed Riera I think, and to be honest there are a lot of players that could take some lessons from him on how to not panic on the ball and use it well. If he can stay fit he'll be a big player for us.

Aquilani was hit and miss again, but he undoubtedly has quality and is improving, played his part well in the first goal.

Fair play to Ngog, Babel should take a leaf out of his book on how to influence a game as a sub. Looked really hungry and really took the pressure off us when he came on.

All in all a pretty good performance and more importantly a great result but we shouldn't be getting carried away. It has to be said that the standard of football was pretty poor in general and there were stages in the match where we were very poor, sitting deep and just hoofing the ball. Spurs were always in with a good shout and if they had scored in their period of dominance it would've been a different story and it could've been all doom and gloom around here again.

By the way, what are people's honest opinions of the offside decision against Defoe? Putting all bias aside I feel it was the correct decision. Defoe is interfering as Kyriakos is pressured into playing a dodgy pass by an offside Defoe and therefore I feel he is definitely interfering. I know the rule is a grey area, but my interpretation of it is that the ref/linesman got it right, and I would be saying this even if it had been the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Good win for Liverpool, that can't be understated, especially against Spurs who are also competiting for 4th place. Aquilani was very good.

I'm not sure whether it was because I was so far back from the screen in the pub but I couldn't see Lucas at all and didn't even realise he was on until the second half. Was that just me?

I also thought he was relatively quiet tonight. Not saying he played particularly badly but I could see how you would not have noticed him in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Good man Harry.

Great stuff. Not a big fan of Harry, but he'd know to respect that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Morzadec wrote: »
    By the way, what are people's honest opinions of the offside decision against Defoe? Putting all bias aside I feel it was the correct decision. Defoe is interfering as Kyriakos is pressured into playing a dodgy pass by an offside Defoe and therefore I feel he is definitely interfering. I know the rule is a grey area, but my interpretation of it is that the ref/linesman got it right, and I would be saying this even if it had been the other way round.

I thought it was a poor decision, he should have put his flag up as soon as Defoe started moving toward the ball, he was offside then.

However once he doesn't do that, he for some reason has decided he is onside, he shouldn't be changing his mind after 2 Liverpool players have touched the ball.

Morzadec wrote: »

First I haven't seen this yet but I have a pretty good picture of it in my head from what people are saying,
    I've argued this in many games, games liverpool or any team I have vested interestes in are not involved in, I think you are interfering in play if you force another player to do something because of your presence in an offside position.

A good example of which would be if say Benayoun whipped in ball to Torres, and Torres was offside when the ball was player, but the ball never got to Torres because the defender inadvertantly put the ball into his own net while trying to clear it from the offside torres.

I know it's not the same as the defoe goal (which I haven't seen again :pac:) but hopefully somebody gets my point, because I certainly don't.

our first choice team & bench is ****ing quality. its injuries & bad luck resulting in under performance & no confidence that has ****ed us up this season.

Think so. Most of us expected to be where Arsenal are and the injuries and bad luck left everybody shellshocked.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I think it's a bit easy to use the injury excuse, but it's also a bit correct, so carry on.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think it's a bit easy to use the injury excuse, but it's also a bit correct, so carry on.

Well true, we managed last night!

I don;t know what went wrong this season, yes Alonso left, but I think most of us hoped for a title challenge. That didn't come and everything was about a crisis.

We need to see this as a blip this season as what's the alternative? We need to get 4th and try and build. The alternative is unimaginable!

Lucas was poor enough tonight. With Acquilani playing well and a decent back 4, he isn't as important.

It's more than the injuries that have us where we are. Defensively we have been extremely shakey and made far too many mistakes. The injuries have compounded the problem but we have been shockingly bad in virtually every game this season.

It's more than the injuries that have us where we are. Defensively we have been extremely shakey and made far too many mistakes. The injuries have compounded the problem but we have been shockingly bad in virtually every game this season.

True, we had Carras' and Skyrtels' loss of form, Agger and Johnson out injured, the Greek lad coming into a shambolic back 4, Kelly out injured, Degen sent off, Insua trying to learn his trade, Aurelio injured as usual, Riera and Acquilani out for most of the season so far and Gerrard and Torres for what seems like half it.

But yep, injuries weren't that bad.

Haha the injuries don't explain pre-season or the opening match of the season in fairness. Something was very wrong then like. The injuries compounded whatever that problem was in
    my opinion.

d22ontour wrote: »

I genuinely don't get the point you're making here!!

I have to say, i'm delighted with the recognition that Riera is getting in this thread. I think he has been a big loss this season. I remember being two one down to Arsenal a few weeks back and we had no creativity and nothing to trouble the Gunners defense in that second half. Riera would have made a big difference in that match, i feel.

Delighted to have him back!!

Haha the injuries don't explain pre-season or the opening match of the season in fairness. Something was very wrong then like. The injuries compounded whatever that problem was in
    my opinion.

Ach yeah, the start to the season was shocking. Think Rafa planned for Acquilani earlier and never seen the defensive crisis.

I think it wasn't just Rafa to blame for the start. He as well as the team expected more funds. Things changed, the owners having to put big money back in was unforeseen. It is starting to look like the best thing in the long run. Whether that is much good to us in the next year or 2, I don't know.

We are stuck between getting the debt down, which we know is good and spending big, which drives the debt back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes would say it was definitely aquas best game so far and I think those two goals for Kuyt can only be good for his confidence. Our league form is defintely starting to show now and i can see it being between city and us for fourth spot. What I saw of Arsenal in the brief clips last night they may be the dark horses in the title race.

• Advertisement

Great result last night.

The performance was pretty decent too, we showed a lot of fight.

The Greek was excellent again, Kuyt was very impressive as was Degan.

Great to see Riera back too.

Some players may well excel with Gerrard and Torres out with the extra responsability given to them.

The crowd were right behind the team and the manager last night.

The way it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

rarnes1 wrote: »

The crowd were right behind the team and the manager last night.

that would be what i would call the "real" fans. along with the fans that go to the away games. no day trippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

evil_seed wrote: »
    that would be what i would call the "real" fans. along with the fans that go to the away games. no day trippers

I guess it was daytrippers who booed you off against Reading and Stoke away ? :rolleyes:
    I genuinely don't get the point you're making here!!

Ah, i think you do.

Booed off twice when playing away by the 'real' fans.Nobody doubts that Anfield can have a great atmosphere at times,but having been booed off the 3 previous games makes any notion of the great atmosphere cringworthy. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well, having had time to reflect on last nights performance, it's clear that Liverpool wanted the result more than Spurs. From the whistle, Spurs players were hassled, harried, and generally bossed around the pitch. There were 20 minutes in the 2nd half where Spurs the midfield and if ever we were going to score it was then, but it didn't happen.

Liverpool got the performance they wanted/needed, and also the key decisions on the night. I agree with Copacetic, if Defoe was offside and in a position to cause problems, he should've been flagged straight away. Still, it's a definite grey area and it should be sorted out asap. Crouch should also have had a penalty in the first half too but he never gets those decisions, ever!

All in all, I was disappointed with many players for Spurs, Modric (practically anonymous), Krancjar (bullied), Jenas (just crap again), Defoe, Corluka, and Bassong when he came on, and I was disappointed that yet again, Spurs show they don't have the balls for a top 4 fight.

Liverpool put in a gutsy and effective performance, which is all that was needed against a lacklustre Spurs.

that reasoning is far too simple.

you can't say that after one half-decent performance, where we weren't even that good.

we hassled and harried, and Spurs couldn't get going at all as a result. we did that well, but there are still far too many fundamental things that we don't do right.

we aren't passing the ball properly, and this fast direct as possible football wears very thin. i need to see a run of performances and results before i start lauding us as brilliant again.

on a more positive and humbling note, i'm f*cking delighted after last night for a couple of things...

1) The Diggler - when we've no Gerrard or Torres especially, boy does this man step up. i don't know whether he's intimidated by the two of them or something, but when he has more responsibility, he plays better, his touch improves 100 %, and he seems to thrive in the whole thing. fair f*cks to the lad.

2) Albert Riera - people have been harsh on him this year considering he's barely played, and have forgotten just how big a player he was for much of last season for us. the natural footballing ability and width is invaluable to us. if we can get him fit, we'll be a better team for it.

3) David N'Gog - again, he only came on as a sub, in a game that was a bit stretched, but i continue to like the look of him. i don't know if he'll turn into a really top, top player, but he really has fulfilled his role this season excellently given the circumstances, and arguably has a status and responsibility in the squad that should be beyond him right now. fair play to the lad.

4) The team's passion - while i can fault a lot of the football, i think we may have got the answer last night as to whether that team is playing for Rafa or not. i've barely seen us work as hard in my life.

so, while i'm feeling a bit more optimistic this morning, let's not completely forget the dross we've been served this season, giving the easy excuse of injuries. Arsenal and United have had injury crises as bad, if not worse than ours.

the lads need to get the finger out and push on now.

last night could serve as an excellent start.

Wouldn't go that far. Playing to best of our best of our ability for maybe half a season is not really good enough. Not enough of them stepping up to the plate. Babel has had so many opportunities to put things right yet Degen and the greek have taken their chances straight off. Tells you something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

CCCP^ wrote: »

It was just you. He was playing in a completely defensive role, as Aquilani was playing ahead of him and Masch. He hassled, harried, and put a lot of work in off the ball. Still needs to learn how to time tackles though lol I'm getting sick of him giving free's away in our half.

Strong liquor CCCP ^. Not good for the auld eyesight ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    that reasoning is far too simple.

you can't say that after one half-decent performance, where we weren't even that good.

we hassled and harried, and Spurs couldn't get going at all as a result. we did that well, but there are still far too many fundamental things that we don't do right.

we aren't passing the ball properly, and this fast direct as possible football wears very thin. i need to see a run of performances and results before i start lauding us as brilliant again.

on a more positive and humbling note, i'm f*cking delighted after last night for a couple of things...

1) The Diggler - when we've no Gerrard or Torres especially, boy does this man step up. i don't know whether he's intimidated by the two of them or something, but when he has more responsibility, he plays better, his touch improves 100 %, and he seems to thrive in the whole thing. fair f*cks to the lad.

2) Albert Riera - people have been harsh on him this year considering he's barely played, and have forgotten just how big a player he was for much of last season for us. the natural footballing ability and width is invaluable to us. if we can get him fit, we'll be a better team for it.

3) David N'Gog - again, he only came on as a sub, in a game that was a bit stretched, but i continue to like the look of him. i don't know if he'll turn into a really top, top player, but he really has fulfilled his role this season excellently given the circumstances, and arguably has a status and responsibility in the squad that should be beyond him right now. fair play to the lad.

4) The team's passion - while i can fault a lot of the football, i think we may have got the answer last night as to whether that team is playing for Rafa or not. i've barely seen us work as hard in my life.

so, while i'm feeling a bit more optimistic this morning, let's not completely forget the dross we've been served this season, giving the easy excuse of injuries. Arsenal and United have had injury crises as bad, if not worse than ours.

the lads need to get the finger out and push on now.

last night could serve as an excellent start.

well summed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpools problem this season imo has been defence, not attack. Granted a few more goals woulda eased the pressure, but the sheer amount concedded from set pieces alone should be an indicator that all is not right in defence.

Carragher was excellent last night I thought, best performance he's put in in a while. However he's been poor this season, and until they fix the defence problem, they'll go nowhere. Luckily, with the right training and a confidence boost, they probably can do it without buying players. It's up to Rafa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I didn't see much improvement from an attack PO V with liverpool last night, they were better defensively than they have been of late. Tottehams disallowed goal was a disgrace to refereeing and could have changed things.

To give liverpool their dues thats 6 points from Villa and Tottenham, they really needed to do that to get back in the race for 4th. Those results should ease the pressure a little and we should see continued improvement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement