Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Tottenham [Match Thread] Wed 20:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Does anyone else think this match could be cat Liverpool don't play with much width and spurs-lennon means the two croats will be both cutting in from the wings Gareth Bale will provide the only real width for spurs to be honest

Depends - Pool could have real width for the first time in ages if its Maxi and Riera on the wings [or alternatively could be Kuyt and Aurelio:( ] Plus in terms of width could be Insua and Degen as the two fullbacks who offer quite a fair bit of width when they push forward [or alternatively could be Carra at RB :( ]

For Spurs, Lennon being out definately reduces the width quite a bit especially if Modric and Kranjkar are both playing together.

Don't think it will automatically mean a cat game - just because a game is kinda narrow doesn't mean that it automatically means a cat game.

If I was worried about anything in terms of an entertaining game, I'd be more worried about both managers setting out defensive type formations hoping to keep things tight, playing for a draw with the hope of maybe knicking it by a single goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Depends - Pool could have real width for the first time in ages if its Maxi and Riera on the wings [or alternatively could be Kuyt and Aurelio:( ] Plus in terms of width could be Insua and Degen as the two fullbacks who offer quite a fair bit of width when they push forward [or alternatively could be Carra at RB :( ]

For Spurs, Lennon being out definately reduces the width quite a bit especially if Modric and Kranjkar are both playing together.

Don't think it will automatically mean a cat game - just because a game is kinda narrow doesn't mean that it automatically means a cat game.

If I was worried about anything in terms of an entertaining game, I'd be more worried about both managers setting out defensive type formations hoping to keep things tight, playing for a draw with the hope of maybe knicking it by a single goal.
    Harry won't play for a draw I don't think and I don't think Rafa can afford to either although i didn't think he'd play such a defensive team at the weekend either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Does anyone else think this match could be cat Liverpool don't play with much width and spurs-lennon means the two croats will be both cutting in from the wings Gareth Bale will provide the only real width for spurs to be honest

It depends on the line-up. If Maxi, Riera, Babel, Degen or Aurelio play, Liverpool will be playing with a lot width. Kuyt and Benni are our only wide players that particularly prefer to tuck in.

Don't think it will be a cat game, as you say. Both sides have big problems in central defence, and there'll be enough attacking talent on the pitch to make for a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Boggles wrote: »
    2-4

100/1

5 big ones.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Brilliant. Well done sir.

It's a bet, I don't expect to win it. I hope to win it. It's 100/1 for a reason.

I have put forward a score and put money on it.

Any thoughts yourself, or you just going to have a go at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Both sides have big problems in central defence

Sorry, have to call you on that one! 5 EPL clean sheets in a row for Spurs hints at a pretty good defence. I would still expect us to concede tonight though.

Thinking about sticking a tenner on babel, he's 11 - 1 to score, could be setup for him to score one tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

tell you what lads if liverpool lose tonight i will not post for 1 whole day ok:p:p:p that is my bet for the night;););)

Harry won't play for a draw I don't think and I don't think Rafa can afford to either although i didn't think he'd play such a defensive team at the weekend either

I wouldn't expect 'Arry to play that way either. Rafa may feel that securing a draw against a rival in the race for fourth with out injury situation might be the prudent course of action. I didn't expect such a defensive line-up at Stoke either but looking back I can see the reasoning behind it. I think it's unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out.

• Advertisement

Thinking about sticking a tenner on babel, he's 11 - 1 to score, could be setup for him to score one tonight.

At the very least wait to see if some early rumours of the team line-up come through as I would strongly expect him to be on the bench.

Given his recent performances I would be hesitant to back him with your money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sorry, have to call you on that one! 5 EPL clean sheets in a row for Spurs hints at a pretty good defence. I would still expect us to concede tonight though.

I was thinking more of injuries and personnel than form. It's also worth noting that four of those clean sheets in the EPL came against Hull, West Ham, Blackburn and Fulham - hardly the sharpest of attacks.

I see goals for both sides tonight, but then it could go completely the other way. Liverpool are playing with no confidence, so will be nervy and may drop deep. Spurs tend to get stage-fright on occasions like these, so we could end up with two teams afraid to leave their own half! Flip a coin! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'll go 0-0, Spurs would be happy with a point to keep distance.
    What with Harry probably thinking the same, the fact that Lennon is out will have half-made his mind up for him.
    Hope the ref doesn't let the kop get to him, it could go down to a decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm dreading this game so much. it could be a massive turning point but i do think there will be a winner. Liverpool by one or spurs to do a demolition job of maybe 3 or 4 -1.

i really dont see how liverpool can win this game. Where will we get a goal from whereas spurs can score from anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I at least hope its a good game after how the last two games were.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

staker wrote: »
    I'll go 0-0, Spurs would be happy with a point to keep distance.
    What with Harry probably thinking the same, the fact that Lennon is out will have half-made his mind up for him.
    Hope the ref doesn't let the kop get to him, it could go down to a decision...

We're due a decision to go in our favour at this stage.

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    i'm dreading this game so much. it could be a massive turning point but i do think there will be a winner. Liverpool by one or spurs to do a demolition job of maybe 3 or 4 -1.

i really dont see how liverpool can win this game. Where will we get a goal from whereas spurs can score from anywhere

:eek::eek::eek:

Spurs have scored 26 goals at home this season.
    Liverpool have scored 26 goals at home this season.
    Spurs have scored 16 goals away from home this season.
    Liverpool have scored 12 goals away from home this season

So overall Spurs have scored 4 more goals in 21 games (and that's including the 9 goal goal-fest gainst Wigan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

:eek::eek::eek:

Spurs have scored 26 goals at home this season.
    Liverpool have scored 26 goals at home this season.
    Spurs have scored 16 goals away from home this season.
    Liverpool have scored 12 goals away from home this season

So overall Spurs have scored 4 more goals in 21 games (and that's including the 9 goal goal-fest gainst Wigan)

His point was that the main goal threats for Liverpool are all out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I fully expect a mauling of Liverpool by Spurs tonight. I think there'll be 2 goals between the teams come the final whistle.

Torres and Gerrard have both been out for spells already this season and we've coped.

Dave hasn't been great the last two games but he still has scored a goal every 163 minutes he has been on the pitch, which is a pretty decent return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ardent wrote: »
    I fully expect a mauling of Liverpool by Spurs tonight. I think there'll be 2 goals between the teams come the final whistle.

Remember this!

We really don't get mauled.

• Advertisement

We are down in attack not defense its not going to be a one sided game and spurs will not give LFC a mauling lol..

Although my silly money is on Babel to score I doubt its going to be a goal fest for Spurs, or Liverpool. It could be the most amazing nil all game of the season so far.

We are down in attack not defense its not going to be a one sided game and spurs will not give LFC a mauling lol..

On the whole mauling thing when was the last time Liverpool did get a mauling?

Struggling to recall any game in the last while you could accurately describe as a mauling. The worst we've lost any game this season is by two goals. I think you need a 3 or 4 goal defeat for it to accurately fall in the mauling category. Anyone got any ideas?

Utd at OT was 4-0 a few years ago, Hyypia sent off very early and a RVN peno converted.

EDIT: I think Arsenal and Utd have had farily facile 3-0 wins at their own patches over us in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

very much looking forward to this match

hopefully its a thriller, just a pity alot of the main players are injured

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

1-0, Kuyt 87th minute tap in please.

Anyone know the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

noodler wrote: »
    Anyone know the ref?

Howard Webb

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Howard Webb I think

....FU SuprSi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

SuprSi wrote: »
    Howard Webb

Not good for us ...he gave utd a soft pen last season at OT when we were cruising at 2-0. Don't know why he regarded as top ref in PL because he gets a lot of the big decisions wrong at times.

Better than that idiot from the weekend.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this.

nailed on draw.

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Neither team firing on all cylinders at the moment so I am going to go for a 1-1 draw. I expect the game to be more entertaining than the Stoke game as Spurs like to get the ball down and pass it around. This is the team I would like to see:
    Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Aurelio
    Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Riera
    Aquilani
    N'Gog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone got some inside information on the teams?

Hoping for
    Reina
    --Degen
    Carra----Agger
    Insua-
    Masch

Lucas
    ---Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Aurelio
    N'Gog

I'd be pretty surprised to see either Babel or Maxi get a start and it's prob too early for Riera.

Going to go with 2-1 to the Pool. I can't see them keep a clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Being strongly rumoured that this is the team for tonight.

Reina
    Insua
    Carra
    Kyriagos
    Skrtel
    Degen
    Aurelio
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Kuyt

Take with a large pinch of salt though.

Saw another so called ITK give a line up that was similar except that it had Riera in for Aurelio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if kyrgiakos plays, i give up.

i'm officially scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »

i'm officially scared.

he played great stuff against Stoke tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

SlickRic wrote: »

i'm officially scared.

:D

tok9 wrote: »
    Anyone got some inside information on the teams?

Nah Ryan's not twittering today:p

Doesn't seem to be any word of a team on the Liverpool end I've heard.

Seems to be some rumours of the following being the Spurs team

Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Bale, Kranjcar, Jenas, Palacios, Modric, Crouch, Defoe

There is also some rumours that Defoe might have the flu and is doubtful.

All grain of salt stuff nothing anyway concrete.

If Kuyt is playing up-front alone, I predict a long-night.

Doesn't seem to be any word of a team on the Liverpool end.

Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Bale, Kranjcar, Jenas, Palacios, Modric, Crouch, Defoe

There is also some rumours that Defoe might have the flu and is doubtful.

LOL

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to be any word of a team on the Liverpool end I've heard.

Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Bale, Kranjcar, Jenas, Palacios, Modric, Crouch, DefoeThere is also some rumours that Defoe might have the flu and is doubtful.

If Kuyt is playing up-front alone, I predict a long-night.

That's not a bad Spurs eleven though, but maybe a bit lightweight across the midfield four.

Would be happy to see Defoe miss the game though, and am very happy to see Huddlestone out as well as Lennon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I hope Bale starts. Spurs have not won a game he started. That lad is cursed. Even more so than Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Apparently this is the Liverpool team.

Reina

Carra Kyrigiakos Sktrel, Insua

Masch Lucas

Degen
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Not too happy with it. Would much rather Degen at right back, Carragher in the middle & someone else on the wing. Would also rather Aurelio above Insua at left back. Also, Kuyt is dreadful as a lone striker.

Tusky wrote: »

Reina

Masch Lucas

Degen
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Not too happy with it. Would much rather Degen at right back, Carragher in the middle someone else on the wing. Would also rather Aurelio above Insua at left back. Also, Kuyt is dreadful as a lone striker.

0-0 then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Reina

Masch Lucas

Degen
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Not too happy with it. Would much rather Degen at right back, Carragher in the middle & someone else on the wing. Would also rather Aurelio above Insua at left back. Also, Kuyt is dreadful as a lone striker.

Agger must be injured so... theres a serious lack of speed in that back 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

0-0 then

0-1 Spurs :(

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Reina

Masch Lucas

Degen
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Not too happy with it. Would much rather Degen at right back, Carragher in the middle someone else on the wing. Would also rather Aurelio above Insua at left back. Also, Kuyt is dreadful as a lone striker.

Damn looks like both the guys that I was doubting about the lineups they gave me were pretty spot on, with the second guy having the line up perfect.

Mind you, no Lennon to run at Insua is a plus, and if Defoe does end up missing the game, then it will cut down the pace heading towards Kyrigiakos. I am more worried about Carragher and Skrtel tonight than Kyrigiakos though.

Could be a good night for Aquilani, finally playing in a more advanced role, and against a team that is not overly physical and who like to play the ball on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    he played great stuff against Stoke tbf

he did.

he played extremely well in fact.

but that was against relentless aerial bombardment and physical pressure, which he's fine for.

he is not comfortable with slick passing alligned with the movement of defoe, modric, kranjcar and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still not up on the website so we may still get a few differences..

If that does turn out to be the team we're gonna need to play very very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Kyrgiakos to man handle Crouch tonight so.

Degen on the right mightn't be too bad, he'll test Bale out speed wise anyway. Riera on the left is a plus, he could well give Corluka a torrid time.

Heads up men!

Kess73 wrote: »
    Damn looks like both the guys that I was doubting about the lineups they gave me were pretty spot on, with the second guy having the line up perfect.

Mind you, no Lennon to run at Insua is a plus, and if Defoe does end up missing the game, then it will cut down the pace heading towards Kyrigiakos. I am more worried about Carragher and Skrtel tonight than Kyrigiakos though.

Could be a good night for Aquilani,
    finally playing in a more advanced role, and against a team that is not overly physical and who like to play the ball on the ground.

Assuming he gets a good run out??

• Advertisement
Advertisement