Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

euroleague

Options
  • 19-01-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

What is the story with the euro league, are irish teams ever involved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Naw never. its all about finances. Never gonna happen either me thinks. I think it would be a great igea to put the senior mens and womens squads it the league for a season for development. Would need serious financing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spursman

how does the league work

spursman wrote: »
    how does the league work

Its basically the same as the champions league in soccer. Theres qualifing rounds and then group stages leading into a final at the end of it. You have mainly eastern block countries that have the majority of teams as it would be their first sport, ie their GAA. So you have teams flying week in week out to different cities playing games. All the players are professional, with the highest paid star earning a cool 4.5m euros a year. So im sure you see how it wouldnt be possible for any Irish club team to compete..... we live in hope haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I am embarrassed, well embarrassed might be too strong a word but annoyed at myself that I know so little about the Euroleague. I have only seen snippets of games but I know it is of a high standard.
    Living in the US it is easy to be consumed by the NBA but I must try and pay more attention to the league.
    I suppose the best place to get info/clips/articles would be Eurosport maybe ?

Anyone follow the league to any extent ? Views on the league as a whole ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The only time I managed to catch a EuroLeague game was when Brandon Jennings was playing with Roma which was on Setanta I think?. Other then that I'm completely oblivious to it.

Are the rules that much different to the NBA?. I think the EuroLeague has no goal tending after the ball touches the rim and that the key is much wider but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

hey guys,

this site is the best for the Euroleague.You can actually watch the games on this site. its pay per view but not that expensive really if you were interested. Think eurosport only shows highlights and the Eurocup

http://www.euroleague.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Euroleague is a cracking league with some outstanding players - many of whom have, could or will play NBA. It's a lower scoring league with a huge emphasis on fundamentals over the athleticism of the NBA and while it may not be as exciting from a highlights perspective, if you like team play, defence and fantastic outside shooting it's very interesting to watch. It's a "purer" form of basketball, but that's just my opinion!

All the great Russian/Lithuanian players who played NBA (Marculionis, Sabonis etc.) played Euroleague before going to the NBA as did all the great Yugoslavs/Craots (Petrovic, Kukoc, Radja etc.). Manu Ginobli played in it, as did Tony Parker, as did Brandon Jennings last year (and he never scored 55 in a Euroleague game!). It used to be seen as a retirement home for NBA players at the end of their careers but not anymore - you have some players opting out of their NBA contracts as the money is so good at Euroleague level. Bostjan Nachbar left the New Jersey Nets to go to Moscow, John Childress left the Atlanta Hawks to go to Olympiakos in Greece. Aussie David Anderson left CSKA Moscow to go to Houston and Luis Scola left Tau in Spain to also go to Houston in the last couple of years.

Trajon Landon (ex NBA and Duke University) of CSKA Moscow is a classic example of a player who'll succeed in Europe. Outstanding fundamentals, great defensive player, zone-breaking 3 point distance and 90+% free throw shooter. Anyone else notice how poor the free throw shooting is in college basketball on ESPN at the moment - shocking!

But probably the standout player in the league is Theo Paploukas, point guard of Olympiakos in Greece. Back in Greece after 6 years running the reins for CSKA Moscow, this guy would waltz onto ANY NBA team - he's that good. Captain of the Greek Team which beat the US in the World Championships a couple of years back he's been described as a 6'6" Steve Nash. The guy can do everything on the court but at his core is "team". Don't be put off by his stats - this is not run and gun NBA, but he can do that as demonstrated in the semi final vs USA when required.

And I'm boring you now............try and find some games, they're worth it. Or better still, if you're in Spain, Greece, Turkey or italy, try and get to a game - YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE ATMOSPHERE! Insane!

Advertisement